Rockbox Xduoo X3
May 17, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #2,522 of 2,617
Unfortunately, still no luck...

Would anyone be so kind as to state what folders should be on the SD’s root?

The most critical one is .rockbox

If .rockbox is missing, incomplete, or damaged nothing will work at all.

Be aware that the . before the folder name makes it hidden. So if you are looking at the memory card on a computer you may need to enable the ability to view hidden files.

May 18, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #2,524 of 2,617

Be aware that the . before the folder name makes it hidden. So if you are looking at the memory card on a computer you may need to enable the ability to view hidden files.

I have two random things I feel compelled to say:

(1) You are one of the most helpful creatures around here buddy! Kudos!

(2) I still appreciate my rockboxed X3 every night - it is my perfect "sleep aid" DAP. It was inexpensive, it is well built, it sounds great, it turns off after 45 minutes, and if I am woken up and need some tunes going to get me back to sleep, I can easily find and press the power button to get it sparked up again right where it last left off (not to mention the nice tactile volume buttons). The X3 has been one of my best audio buys, that's for sure!

May 18, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #2,525 of 2,617

(2) I still appreciate my rockboxed X3 every night - it is my perfect "sleep aid" DAP. It was inexpensive, it is well built, it sounds great, it turns off after 45 minutes, and if I am woken up and need some tunes going to get me back to sleep, I can easily find and press the power button to get it sparked up again right where it last left off (not to mention the nice tactile volume buttons). The X3 has been one of my best audio buys, that's for sure!

Thanks friend, I appreciate your kind words.

I also appreciate the great idea about using the X3 for sleep mode. I never even really thought about using it that way, or knew Rockbox could do that! Thanks :)

May 18, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #2,526 of 2,617

I checked whether the folders are there, forcing the OS to show me the hidden files. Everything seemed to be alright.

This is probably irrelevant, but worth to try. Have you tried using a different sdcard on the X3?

Thanks fro the hint! I actually tried an older, smaller SD card that worked well earlier on. Even with this card: no luck.

I second that whole-heartedly. Slater, thank you for your great help! This is really uncommon these days and highly appreciated!

One last thought was to ban Rockbox and go back to the stock OS. Alas, the manual on vortex‘s website indicates that one needs to update the firmware through the stock OS. As of now, I cannot boot into either this or Rockbox. By the way; I tried to load the DAP through the laptop and on a regular power plug. No loading symbols came on. However, it seems to have plenty of juice as it keeps the bootscreen on throughout the night and keeps on going.

So I guess I‘ll have to buy either a Fiio M9 or iBasso DX120, leaning towards the latter.

Unfortunately, after this experience with Xduoo, it is not on my list anymore. 90 EUR is still too expensive to have the unit die on you after roughly 2 year.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #2,527 of 2,617
I checked whether the folders are there, forcing the OS to show me the hidden files. Everything seemed to be alright.

Thanks fro the hint! I actually tried an older, smaller SD card that worked well earlier on. Even with this card: no luck.

I second that whole-heartedly. Slater, thank you for your great help! This is really uncommon these days and highly appreciated!

One last thought was to ban Rockbox and go back to the stock OS. Alas, the manual on vortex‘s website indicates that one needs to update the firmware through the stock OS. As of now, I cannot boot into either this or Rockbox. By the way; I tried to load the DAP through the laptop and on a regular power plug. No loading symbols came on. However, it seems to have plenty of juice as it keeps the bootscreen on throughout the night and keeps on going.

So I guess I‘ll have to buy either a Fiio M9 or iBasso DX120, leaning towards the latter.

Unfortunately, after this experience with Xduoo, it is not on my list anymore. 90 EUR is still too expensive to have the unit die on you after roughly 2 year.

Like you, my X3 failed to boot into either firmware at one point.

To fix it I followed the manual installation instructions on XVortex’s site and got it working perfectly again (even the stock firmware). I haven’t had any problems since.

The only catch is that you have to use a Windows 7 computer (as stated in his instructions). I ended up using a friend’s Windows 7 computer, which worked perfectly.

My beef is I’m tired of the noticeable sound difference. That’s why I’m likely getting an ibasso DX120 myself, and will just use the X3 as a spare player (or for burning in or something).

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #2,528 of 2,617
Like you, my X3 failed to boot into either firmware at one point.

To fix it I followed the manual installation instructions on XVortex’s site and got it working perfectly again (even the stock firmware). I haven’t had any problems since.

The only catch is that you have to use a Windows 7 computer (as stated in his instructions). I ended up using a friend’s Windows 7 computer, which worked perfectly.

My beef is I’m tired of the noticeable sound difference. That’s why I’m likely getting an ibasso DX120 myself, and will just use the X3 as a spare player (or for burning in or something).

Well, I have no Windows 7 machine at hand, but I think that I did the original installation on a Mac, without having to resort to Windows (7). Anyway, Windows 7 will be obsolete come early 2020.

As stated earlier, I changed nothing at all and the DAP just developed this problem on its own. Not encouraging in any way.

Once again, thank you for your help!

May 18, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #2,529 of 2,617

Are you referring to the stock pitch issue?

May 18, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #2,530 of 2,617

Some people in here have said that stock sounds better than rockbox but I can't live with the pitch issue...or, at the time when it was my only player, the lack of gapless play. Others can't live with the fact that 24but stuff is down-sampled. I just keep normal Flac on mine and stick with Rockbox.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #2,531 of 2,617
Some people in here have said that stock sounds better than rockbox

I think that I have found that to be the case as well.

but I can't live with the pitch issue.

Me neither.

Others can't live with the fact that 24but stuff is down-sampled. I just keep normal Flac on mine and stick with Rockbox.

The main thing that I can't live without is being able to press the power button to spark it up, and to have it starting to playing right away where it last left off (I listen to long trance tracks at night, so I don't want it starting at the beginning of the track again).

So for me, the rockbox'd X3 sounds just fine thank you! :)

May 18, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #2,532 of 2,617
I think that I have found that to be the case as well.

Me neither.

The main thing that I can't live without is being able to press the power button to spark it up, and to have it starting to playing right away where it last left off (I listen to long trance tracks at night, so I don't want it starting at the beginning of the track again).

So for me, the rockbox'd X3 sounds just fine thank you! :)

Will you recommend some long trance tracks? Might be good for sleeping...

May 18, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #2,533 of 2,617
Will you recommend some long trance tracks? Might be good for sleeping...

The trance that I tend to like has quite a bit of bass and rhythm, and is not vocal oriented. Some would probably find it a bit too energetic to fall asleep to, but it works for me. I also really like it as background music when I want to enjoy music but not be too distracted by it.

One of my favorite trance artists is Deepsense and their Voyager shows. This one is an example:
https://www.friskyradio.com/show/voyager/02-01-2018/deepsense-at-02-01-2018

I have a subscription to Frisky Radio, so I can download the tracks. I have downloaded all of the Deepsense tracks and have them loaded up on my X3, playing in shuffle mode at night when required. Endless hours of sleepy time trace!

Note that the Frisky site also has a "Chill" section that provides mellower trance (but which is still very good).

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #2,534 of 2,617

No, the stock firmware actually sounds better than Rockbox (minus the pitch error). It’s very noticeable, so much so that I went through a period of time where I only used the stock firmware. But then the pitch error irritated me, noticeable on songs such as Van Halen Jump etc (the synthesizer sounds out of tune, but it’s not out of tune it’s the pitch error).

I don’t know what it is about Rockbox, and I’ve tinkered with every possible setting. I convinced myself I was imagining it for the longest time, but I just can’t anymore. There is definitely a sound difference. It’s dryer, tinnier, more metallic, and lower resolution somehow. I really noticed it on the CCA C16.

I gave the Rockboxed X3 a lot of love for a lot of years. I made custom cases, numerous mods, treated it like a queen, etc.

But all good things come to an end, and I’m just ready to move on to something better/different.

Just like I’ve reached a point with budget IEMs/cans, where anything I get from here on out will be a higher tier.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #2,535 of 2,617
Well, I have no Windows 7 machine at hand, but I think that I did the original installation on a Mac, without having to resort to Windows (7). Anyway, Windows 7 will be obsolete come early 2020.

As stated earlier, I changed nothing at all and the DAP just developed this problem on its own. Not encouraging in any way.

Once again, thank you for your help!

Well, it may be EOL from Microsoft’s standpoint, but if you want to do a manual Rockbox installation it’s the only way LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back