Rockbox Xduoo X3
Jul 12, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #1,772 of 2,617
Got the Xduoo X3 and am overwhelmed with the stunning sound. I installed Rockbox. but however it seems to me, that the X3 lost a bit of his "mojo", clairity and "bass" whenn running on rockbox. I did not change any settings in Rockbox and turned the EQ off.
What settings do I have to adjust to get exactly the same sound as it is using the stock firmware?

Thank you for your help!

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #1,773 of 2,617
Got the Xduoo X3 and am overwhelmed with the stunning sound. I installed Rockbox. but however it seems to me, that the X3 lost a bit of his "mojo", clairity and "bass" whenn running on rockbox. I did not change any settings in Rockbox and turned the EQ off.
What settings do I have to adjust to get exactly the same sound as it is using the stock firmware?

Thank you for your help!
Maybe try adjusting the Bass and Treble settings to your own liking on the Sound Settings of Rockbox? In my case, both my treble and bass settings are set to around +9 to +10 db. It's what I usually do after installing Rockbox on a DAP.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #1,774 of 2,617
Dear all,
I want to go back to stock firmware and delete Rockbox. i followed these instructions however i get a Rockbox-bootscreen saying that there is the firmwarefile missing. What am i doing wrong?

Instructions:
To uninstall Rockbox and install Stock firmware please:
1) Download X3-V1.1.rar and unpack update.zip to the root of the micro SD-card;
(--> does the update file have to be unzipped as well?! If i unzip it, when trying to upgrade i get hint 'no file found')
2) Switch to original firmware and run firmware update;
3) Good luck with Stock firmware!

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #1,775 of 2,617
Dear all,
I want to go back to stock firmware and delete Rockbox. i followed these instructions however i get a Rockbox-bootscreen saying that there is the firmwarefile missing. What am i doing wrong?

Instructions:
(--> does the update file have to be unzipped as well?! If i unzip it, when trying to upgrade i get hint 'no file found')

You do realize that the stock firmware does not do gapless play and it has a slight pitch error? You would have to search for the details on that as it has been quite some time since I read about it here. I rockboxed mine on the day I got it and never looked back. As an album listener I cannot live without gapless. Try listening to a live album or an album that is meant to have one track flowing into the next. I guess if you just shuffle play songs then the lack of gapless does not matter but some people immediately notice the pitch error. I did not because I only used the stock firmware for a few hours and was just getting used to the player. Never have gone back to stock to check.

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #1,776 of 2,617
What is a pitch error??! Have no idea! How does this affect the sound?

.. For some reason I think the X3 sounds better on stock firmware, maybe it's just a placebo thing.. For that reason I want to go back to stock to find out..
(Yeahr, I know that there is that dual-boot option, but never the less I'm just curious how to get it in initial state..)

So, there is really a thing with Rockbox that annoys me to death: I Use the X3 for running, so sometimes I sccidentaly press a button wich puts me out of the 'now playing menue'. So when i want to scip track, im stuck in some options.. Any idea how to auto jump to playing-menue or skip tracks while running and accidently jump out of the menue?

Finally: is there any way to use the X3 with a little remote or with a bluetooth headphone?

Thanks a lot!

Jul 14, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #1,777 of 2,617

It has to do with playing the music at the correct speed. To simplify.... think what it sounds like if you slow a song way down and it kinda drones... or you speed it up to sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks. The stock firmware slows it down very very slightly. I think something like 30 seconds slower for an hour of play. Most people probably will never hear it Some do or it would never have been noticed. You can use the search function in this and the other xDuoo thread if you want to find posts about it. I am more unhappy about the lack of gapless play in the stock firmware. Maybe if you only listened to individual songs and not albums that require a smooth flow from one track to another with no pause in the sound. Many progressive albums for example and certainly all live albums.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #1,778 of 2,617
So, there is really a thing with Rockbox that annoys me to death: I Use the X3 for running, so sometimes I sccidentaly press a button wich puts me out of the 'now playing menue'. So when i want to scip track, im stuck in some options.. Any idea how to auto jump to playing-menue or skip tracks while running and accidently jump out of the menu

I had this problem, so I made a case for the X3 for $3 that solved the accidental button pressing issue completely. The buttons are recessed while the X3 is in the case.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/rockbox-xduoo-x3.803844/page-93#post-13317169

If you don't want to make your own, they also sell a leather case for the X3. I don't know if it's thick enough to recess the buttons, but it should help more than having no case at all.

X3case.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #1,779 of 2,617
Dear all,

Instructions:

Remember to lock the player while you reboot. This way, it will reboot in stock firmware, and at that point will uninstall Rockbox. You will be fine then and no longer have to lock your player to load in stock.

Jul 14, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #1,780 of 2,617
That "pitch error" the stock FW have occurs when you play a file that has a 44100Hz and below frequency (well, most people use 44100Hz). It doesn't occur on files that are 48000Hz and above (aka the freq most audiophiles prefer). Also, I don't see any reason why you should go back to the stock FW, IMO. Rockbox has so much to do! Maybe you should tinker with the sound settings (esp. the bass and treble settings) and play around with them until you got the sound signature you desired, like i said earlier? Rockbox is admittedly a little overwhelming for some due to the very wide assortment of options.

You do realize that the stock firmware does not do gapless play and it has a slight pitch error? You would have to search for the details on that as it has been quite some time since I read about it here. I rockboxed mine on the day I got it and never looked back. As an album listener I cannot live without gapless. Try listening to a live album or an album that is meant to have one track flowing into the next. I guess if you just shuffle play songs then the lack of gapless does not matter but some people immediately notice the pitch error. I did not because I only used the stock firmware for a few hours and was just getting used to the player. Never have gone back to stock to check.
Same thing here. I listen to a lot of albums that rely on gapless playback capability of a player (e.g. DJ mixes, the so-called "nonstop megamix" albums like Dancemania and some of Super Eurobeat iterations, etc.), and Rockbox is a godsend. I rarely use shuffle (exceptions when the album is meant to be played with shuflle-repeat).

Speaking of cases for the X3, aside from leather and plastic (like that improvised one made from a DS Lite cartridge case), does a silicone case for the X3 exist? I scoured online and I only see the usual leather (like this) and a 3D-printed one.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #1,781 of 2,617
Speaking of cases for the X3, aside from leather and plastic (like that improvised one made from a DS Lite cartridge case), does a silicone case for the X3 exist? I scoured online and I only see the usual leather (like this) and a 3D-printed one.

Nope, the only cases that exist are the fake leather one, the 3D printed one, and my DIY DS Lite case.

Obviously, anyone could take the 3D printed file and tweak it to their liking.

Jul 16, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #1,782 of 2,617
Rockbox has so much to do! Maybe you should tinker with the sound settings (esp. the bass and treble settings) and play around with them until you got the sound signature you desired, like i said earlier? Rockbox is admittedly a little overwhelming for some due to the very wide assortment of options.

What I want: 100% linear, pure sound. As close as possible to the originally intended sound. So, what settings to adjust in Rockbox to acheive that?!

Jul 16, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #1,783 of 2,617
What I want: 100% linear, pure sound. As close as possible to the originally intended sound. So, what settings to adjust in Rockbox to acheive that?!

Have you told us what headphones you use? Any EQ adjustments would depend mainly on the headphone and it's frequency response. Also everyone's ears, everyone's hearing is different. We don't all have the same shape and size ear canals. I personally do not believe anyone can tell you exactly what to do. Maybe some general suggestions depending on what you are hearing. Too much or too little bass? Is the treble hurting your ears. Things like that. The headphones, not the player will affect those things the most. Rather than chase the unattainable goal of perfection, can you relax and enjoy your music? If you are hating the sound, if ihe music does not sound right then you most likely need better headphones or your headphones require an amp to sound theit best. Or are you running this to speakers? Either way we need to know what your whole setup is. There are people in this forum who have spent thousands trying to achieve what you say you want.

Jul 17, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #1,784 of 2,617
What I want: 100% linear, pure sound. As close as possible to the originally intended sound. So, what settings to adjust in Rockbox to achieve that?!
Maybe you should try the sound tweaks for Rockbox by @slaterlovesspam, posted on the other xDuoo X3 thread: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/x...ss-music-player.782912/page-303#post-13604574.

Rather than chase the unattainable goal of perfection, can you relax and enjoy your music?
+1 on this. XD

Jul 17, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #1,785 of 2,617
I had this problem, so I made a case for the X3 for $3 that solved the accidental button pressing issue completely. The buttons are recessed while the X3 is in the case.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/rockbox-xduoo-x3.803844/page-93#post-13317169

If you don't want to make your own, they also sell a leather case for the X3. I don't know if it's thick enough to recess the buttons, but it should help more than having no case at all.

Awesome case, mate! You should sell them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back