Rockbox Xduoo X3
Jul 17, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #1,786 of 2,617
Have you told us what headphones you use? Any EQ adjustments would depend mainly on the headphone and it's frequency response. Also everyone's ears, everyone's hearing is different. We don't all have the same shape and size ear canals. I personally do not believe anyone can tell you exactly what to do. Maybe some general suggestions depending on what you are hearing. Too much or too little bass? Is the treble hurting your ears. Things like that. The headphones, not the player will affect those things the most. Rather than chase the unattainable goal of perfection, can you relax and enjoy your music? If you are hating the sound, if ihe music does not sound right then you most likely need better headphones or your headphones require an amp to sound theit best. Or are you running this to speakers? Either way we need to know what your whole setup is. There are people in this forum who have spent thousands trying to achieve what you say you want.

Yes, of course you are absolutly right! I did mot make my point clear:
I'm not talking about the actual (phisical) sound-signal that is being reproduced by the Headphone, speaker, etc. What I am looking for is a setting in rockbox, that does not change the original sound signature of the source file, i.e. the electrical signal that is being sent to the output source (i.e. speaker) after decoding the file.

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #1,787 of 2,617
I'm not talking about the actual (phisical) sound-signal that is being reproduced by the Headphone, speaker, etc. What I am looking for is a setting in rockbox, that does not change the original sound signature of the source file, i.e. the electrical signal that is being sent to the output source (i.e. speaker) after decoding the file.

But how would you know what the original was? Is what you are wanting possible? I think an engineer needs to step in...

There is a sound science thread. I have never been there.

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #1,788 of 2,617
I understand what pimpl is asking, a setting that changes nothing, no bass boost, treble roll off etc. I'm just not sure that's possible.
As for what was 'intended' by the engineers? impossible to recreate without having the same in studio monitors, acoustics etc. you'll never hear
the music the same was as the engineer did.

Personally I don't chase 'sound' I prefer to have a more 'musical' device. Does it sound correct? does a piano sound like a piano?
I'm more concerned with soundstage than frequency response, if a device (any one, DAP, amplifier, spearkers etc.) doesn't sound like music it's not going
to be in my system(s).

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #1,789 of 2,617
Personally I don't chase 'sound' I prefer to have a more 'musical' device. Does it sound correct? does a piano sound like a piano?
I'm more concerned with soundstage than frequency response, if a device (any one, DAP, amplifier, spearkers etc.) doesn't sound like music it's not going
to be in my system(s).

That how I have always felt. I actually adjust fairly well to different sound signatures as long as they do sound good to me. I get immersed in the music and just enjoy it. I rarely think oh I wish I was using a different headphone. I do sometimes, with certain music, think oh I really need to be using speakers for this. But then I end up missing the system I left behind when I moved to the UK from Michigan. What we have here is more geared to home theater. I do like my little desktop settup though. I also like to move through the house with music playing in all the rooms on the Sonos system...even though that is nothing like a stereo setup. It all comes down to mood, comfort, and what else I am doing. In every case, it is always about the music, not the equipment. The only reason I have so many (too many) headphones is because I read too much on this site and get too curious.

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #1,790 of 2,617
Jul 17, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #1,791 of 2,617

ALL DAC chips and opamps in every piece of digital equipment affect the sound to some degree, coloring it in some way (however small that may be).

However, I understand what you're getting at. If you want the most unaltered signal from the X3, use the line out. It bypasses most of the sound processing in the X3 you are referring to. Another plus is using Rockbox on the X3 you have separate volume control on the line out jack (vs most DAPs which set the volume of the LO to 100%).

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #1,792 of 2,617
Hello folks, I recently got an xduoo x3 and need to rockbox it. I am a dunce when it comes to computers and any tech stuff, and have already bricked my 160gb iPod classic trying to rockbox it. I have googled extensively and read a lot of this thread and still don't even know if it's possible to rockbox my xduoo x3 with my windows 8 laptop. I need somebody to walk me through this. I will even pay if I have to. Getting from the point of my iPod not being recognised by my computer anymore to having a new player with 256gb of storage has been absolute hell and almost consumed my life for the past couple of months. But now I need to overcome the final hurdle of not having gapless playback.

Anybody who is willing to help, please PM me.

Thanks

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #1,793 of 2,617
Hello folks, I recently got an xduoo x3 and need to rockbox it. I am a dunce when it comes to computers and any tech stuff, and have already bricked my 160gb iPod classic trying to rockbox it. I have googled extensively and read a lot of this thread and still don't even know if it's possible to rockbox my xduoo x3 with my windows 8 laptop. I need somebody to walk me through this. I will even pay if I have to. Getting from the point of my iPod not being recognised by my computer anymore to having a new player with 256gb of storage has been absolute hell and almost consumed my life for the past couple of months. But now I need to overcome the final hurdle of not having gapless playback.

Anybody who is willing to help, please PM me.

Thanks

Yeah, it works fine with Windows 8.

Do you know how to format your microSD card with FAT32? That's step 1.

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #1,794 of 2,617
Yeah my SD cards are formatted to fat32. When it refers to the 'root' of the card though, what does that actually mean? Also where can I get the most recently updated version of rockbox? I saw posts where guys had mentioned new updates and such, but I didn't see any actual links.

Also I think I actually have windows 8.1 or something. Does that matter?

Cheers

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #1,795 of 2,617
Yeah my SD cards are formatted to fat32. When it refers to the 'root' of the card though, what does that actually mean? Also where can I get the most recently updated version of rockbox? I saw posts where guys had mentioned new updates and such, but I didn't see any actual links.

Also I think I actually have windows 8.1 or something. Does that matter?

Cheers

Version of Windows does not matter.

The root of the card means not in any folders. Like if the memory card was a filing cabinet, you just file a piece of paper right inside the drawer (as opposed to putting the piece of paper inside of a folder marked "cool stuff" and putting THAT in the drawer.

Does that make sense?

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #1,797 of 2,617
Yes that makes perfect sense. That was actually what I assumed it meant. Thank you.

If somebody could point me in the direction of a download for the latest version then I think I should be OK to have a go at getting it done.

Cheers

http://xvtx.ru/rockbox/manual.htm

Also forgot to mention that your microSD card not only has to be formatted with FAT32, but the block size MUST be 4k (ie 4096). When you format the card, you are given the option of choosing the block size. Make sure to choose 4096.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #1,800 of 2,617
Oh one more thing...

Are the instructions in the initial post in this thread still what I should follow? They're not outdated or anything?

Cheers

Looks correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back