Rockbox Xduoo X3
Sep 10, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #736 of 2,617
anyone here have inaccurate battery indicator problem with X3 using rock box?
I just bought xDuoo X3 and rock boxed it immediately and then use it until the battery indicator is empty
but it is still up after 1 hour of use even when the battery indicator is empty 
confused_face(1).gif

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #738 of 2,617
I have no idea mate, as I flash mine with win 7 laptop.

I have since given up on resolving the issue as after a few weeks of flashing, the same problem will ocure again.
I have given up and just accept the fact that I will have to charge the device in RB mode as well as use a micro sd card reader/adapter to transfer music files.

Yes, Windows 10 will work fine.

Sep 11, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #740 of 2,617
Hi everyone. First post here. Been lurking a while, however. I'm having a couple issues with Rockbox on my X3.

Firstly, I'm experiencing graphical glitches on the status bar at the top of the screen that I never had on my Clip+. The volume numbers do not properly clear the screen and leave graphical artifacts that persist after adjusting volume. A similar behavior is exhibited with the usb connection indicator next to the battery meter. I've managed to alleviate the volume glitch through trial and error editing of bitmaps and "classic_statusbar.sbs", but I can't shake the usb one. It's not that big of a deal and doesn't bug me much, but I thought I'd mention it. The theme I'm using is "Ticker-8" if that makes a difference.

My second, more salient problem is that, sporadically, on pressing the "NEXT" button (no matter what menu/screen) Rockbox acts as if I'd pressed Enter. It will randomly select songs or go into menus when I'm simply trying to scroll downward. I've tried a clean install twice now and tried messing with various settings with no solution. Again, never happened on the Clip+ that I have. It doesn't happen extremely frequently, but at least several times per session and it gets annoying fast. Any one else experience this?

If anyone can help

Sep 11, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #741 of 2,617
  Hi everyone. First post here. Been lurking a while, however. I'm having a couple issues with Rockbox on my X3.

Firstly, I'm experiencing graphical glitches on the status bar at the top of the screen that I never had on my Clip+. The volume numbers do not properly clear the screen and leave graphical artifacts that persist after adjusting volume. A similar behavior is exhibited with the usb connection indicator next to the battery meter. I've managed to alleviate the volume glitch through trial and error editing of bitmaps and "classic_statusbar.sbs", but I can't shake the usb one. It's not that big of a deal and doesn't bug me much, but I thought I'd mention it. The theme I'm using is "Ticker-8" if that makes a difference.

My second, more salient problem is that, sporadically, on pressing the "NEXT" button (no matter what menu/screen) Rockbox acts as if I'd pressed Enter. It will randomly select songs or go into menus when I'm simply trying to scroll downward. I've tried a clean install twice now and tried messing with various settings with no solution. Again, never happened on the Clip+ that I have. It doesn't happen extremely frequently, but at least several times per session and it gets annoying fast. Any one else experience this?

If anyone can help

As a guess, it sounds like the installing process was a bit bad.

If it was me and my X3, I'd go back to the beginning and install Rockbox all over again.

Did you notice anything  odd during the install process ?

As I say, I'm just responding with a hunch. There may be others who can suggest something more specific, and that may nothing to do with what I've just said.

Sep 12, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #743 of 2,617
I have installed rockbox twice on my xduoo x3. First time I felt some musics were hollow. I could not find the problem. So I went back to stock firmware. But after second time I went through the settings. I found the solution. Just changed the ratio from 4:1 to 2:1. Now the stock sound is back. Now I can enjoy the music as well as the rockbox features. If anybody has this problem you can try it.

Sep 12, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #744 of 2,617
I have installed rockbox twice on my xduoo x3. First time I felt some musics were hollow. I could not find the problem. So I went back to stock firmware. But after second time I went through the settings. I found the solution. Just changed the ratio from 4:1 to 2:1. Now the stock sound is back. Now I can enjoy the music as well as the rockbox features. If anybody has this problem you can try it.

I will try as soon as possible and I will report my feeling. Using the default RockBox settings the audio quality is worst if compared to the stock firmware one.

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #746 of 2,617

Fwiw, that setting is: Settings; Sound settings; Compressor; Ratio

Trying it now. Sounds good to me!

Sep 12, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #748 of 2,617
  but technically what it does? In fact, I wonder the compressor makes the sound.

Someone with less lead-ears than I will have to provide that answer to you. I made the change not really expecting to hear a difference. It could be my imagination or placebo, but to me it does sound (and I hate using these terms, but that's all I got) more engaging and dynamic to me now.

Edit: fwiw, from the rockbox manual:
http://download.rockbox.org/manual/rockbox-iaudiom5/rockbox-buildch6.html

6.15  Compressor

The Compressor reduces, or compresses, the dynamic range of the audio signal. This makes the quieter and louder sections closer to the same volume level by progressively reducing the gain of louder signals. When subsequently amplified, this has the effect of making the quieter sections louder while keeping the louder sections from clipping. This allows listening to the quiet sections of dynamic material in noisy environments while preventing sudden loud sections from being overbearing.

There are several settings associated with the compressor. The first, and most important, is the Threshold. The threshold is the audio input level at which the compressor begins to act. Any level louder than the threshold will be compressed to some extent. The maximum amount of compression, or the quietest level at which the compressor will operate, is -24 dB. The default of Off disables the compressor.

The Makeup Gain setting has two options: Off and Auto. Off means that the compressed audio will not be amplified after compression. The default of Auto will amplify the signal so that the loudest possible signal after compression will be just under the clipping limit. This is desirable because the compressed signal without makeup gain is quieter than the input signal. Makeup Gain in Auto restores the signal to the maximum possible level and brings the quieter audio up with it. This is what makes
it possible to hear the quieter audio in noisy environments.

The Ratio setting determines how aggressively the compressor reduces gain above the threshold. For example, the 2:1 setting means that for each two decibels of input signal above the threshold, the compressor will only allow the output to appear as one decibel. The higher the ratio, the harder the signal is compressed. The ratio setting of Limit means essentially a ratio of infinity to one. In this case, the output signal is not allowed to exceed the threshold at all.

The Knee setting determines how abrupt the transition is from a non-compressed signal to a compressed signal. Hard Knee means that the transition occurs precisely at the threshold. The Soft Knee setting smoothes the transition from plus or minus three decibels around the threshold.

The Attack Time setting sets the delay in milliseconds between the input signal exceeding the activation threshold and acting upon it.

The Release Time setting sets the recovery time after the signal is compressed. Once the compressor determines that compression is necessary, the input signal is reduced appropriately, but the gain isn’t allowed to immediately return to normal levels. This is necessary to reduce artifacts such as “pumping.” Instead, the gain is allowed to return to normal at the chosen rate. Release Time is the time for the gain to recover by 10 dB.

Sep 12, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #749 of 2,617

Someone with less lead-ears than I will have to provide that answer to you. I made the change not really expecting to hear a difference. It could be my imagination or placebo, but to me it does sound (and I hate using these terms, but that's all I got) more engaging and dynamic to me now.

Edit: fwiw, from the rockbox manual:
http://download.rockbox.org/manual/rockbox-iaudiom5/rockbox-buildch6.html

thank you friend. I will study more rockbox manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back