Rockbox Xduoo X3
Feb 14, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #1,324 of 2,617
I could be wrong (don't have the device to hand), but it just boots off the card. You can take the card out, boot to stock and then put the card in. Apologies if I'm wrong. Can check tomorrow night.

you just need to have hold/ lock switched on when you switch unit on. that boots stock F/W, no need to take card out. then switch hold/lock off after it has booted.

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #1,329 of 2,617
Hi, i know i might be asking the same question many others have done before, yet i would like to hear one last advice. Currently i own a sansa clip + with rb paired with a jvc ha fxh30 for outside listening and a sennheiser momentum over hear v1 for indoors. I feel I'm not taking advantage of my sennys with the sansa, so i've been wanting to buy a fiio x3 ii but the price is something to consider as here in Peru the fiio will cost around us$ 200. Is there really a big difference in between the fiio x3 ii and the xduoo x3? 

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #1,330 of 2,617
  Hi, i know i might be asking the same question many others have done before, yet i would like to hear one last advice. Currently i own a sansa clip + with rb paired with a jvc ha fxh30 for outside listening and a sennheiser momentum over hear v1 for indoors. I feel I'm not taking advantage of my sennys with the sansa, so i've been wanting to buy a fiio x3 ii but the price is something to consider as here in Peru the fiio will cost around us$ 200. Is there really a big difference in between the fiio x3 ii and the xduoo x3? 

The FiiO X3II has a more refined revealing sound, the Xduoo X3 has a thicker sound. Both are are very nice.

The FiiO has a much better OS than the Xduoo's own but Rockbox does a few nice tricks that the FiiO can't do, like stereo narrowing that makes a lot of older recordings mixed for loud speakers more pleasant to listen to.

If you are going to be listening to basic mp3 files, I think the FiiO won't be worth the extra for you. The FiiO takes the lead though when listening to high quality wav and flac files, in my own opinion.

Feb 16, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #1,331 of 2,617
Can anyone outline the sound-quality advantages-differences with RockBox?  I have read that it only handles 16bit files.

My X3 sounds quite good without an amp with stock OS but we always hope for better don't we...

If the sound quality is improved I will definitely try an upgrade....

Any feedback gratefully received...

MKING 

Feb 16, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #1,332 of 2,617
  Can anyone outline the sound-quality advantages-differences with RockBox?  I have read that it only handles 16bit files.

My X3 sounds quite good without an amp with stock OS but we always hope for better don't we...

If the sound quality is improved I will definitely try an upgrade....

Any feedback gratefully received...

MKING 

Well, Rockbox plays files with a 44.1 kHz sample rate (for most people, this is the majority of their music library) at the correct speed, whereas stock OS plays them too slow.  I find that I can notice it sometimes.  It sounds like some songs I am very familiar with are just dragging in tempo a bit.  Recently a user posted some measurements here, showing that Rockbox delivers a slightly more even frequency response through the treble region compared to stock, but I don't think it is significant enough to be audible to most.  Rockbox downsamples HD music, as you mentioned, so I use stock OS for listening to my HD albums and Rockbox for everything else.

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #1,334 of 2,617
2. My music is held like music/artist/album
I have the auto change directory set to random.
When one directory is done the switch is to the next directory, not a random one.

Not sure if you ever solved this, but apparently setting auto-change to 'random' alone won't make it work properly. It also requires a separate plug-in to function as intended.

From the RB manual:

7.11  Auto-Change Directory

Control what Rockbox does when it reaches the end of a directory. If Auto-Change Directory is set to Yes, Rockbox will continue to the next directory. If Auto-Change Directory is set to No, playback will stop at the end of the current playlist. Using the Random feature requires you to first generate a folder list via the Random Folder Advance Configuration plugin (see section 12.4.19).
Note: You must have the Repeat option set to No for Auto-Change Directory to function properly.
Note: This feature only works when songs have been played from the file browser. Using it with the database may cause unexpected behaviour.

7.12  Constrain Auto-Change

If enabled and you have set Start File Browser Here to a directory other than root, Auto-Change Directory will be constrained to the directory you have chosen and those below it. See section 4.1.2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back