Rockbox Xduoo X3
Jan 19, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #1,291 of 2,617

11 hours...Wow!  I rarely listen to an entire album...always browsing and skipping tracks.  I guess now I know why I'm not getting long play times with each charge.  Did you use the battery benchmark feature that is built into Rockbox (I just came across this in the menu the other day...haven't tried it), or did you just use a clock?  I'd like to measure my battery life.  I use Rockbox EQ most of the time, so I know that takes some extra juice...

I just long pressed the play button and made a full shuffled playlist of my music folder. I just used my clock. Started at 6.06PM full charged, System shutdown at 5.12AM. It played 159 songs. %80 of them were 44.1kHz FLAC files. %15 of them were Hi-Res 24bit FLAC. %5 MP3 or AAC.
I think Rockbox EQ will affect but not too much. Also I didn't measure the battery life when I'm touching buttons and skipping tracks a lot. But I feel like it was between 2.5 hours - 5.5 hours from every time I fully charged and with different usage scenarios.

The battery life drains quite quickly for me when I'm tinkering with setting, and the screen is lit quite a bit, which makes sense.
In the code rockbox shuts down when the system detects 3300 mv.
The battery is the same capacity and voltage of my iPod photo. That lasts double the length, due to a lower drain.

I wonder if there may be double the amplification drain, due to audio routing through the headphone and line out jacks simultaneously. The switching off of one port works properly in the stock firmware.

I'm curious of the polling frequency of the battery. I know there are times when my device is playing just fine for a couple of hrs, then I go to change something, press a button. Immediately after the button press, the system powers down.

Battery is draining so quickly when I'm constantly browsing music folders. Screen is a low res OLED display according to xDuoo. But in Rockbox it is working at 60Hz or maybe there is no frame limiter at all. I will look at that. I will turn off auto turning off screen when idle feature, and test it again with minimum/maximum brightness settings. Maybe big part of the issue is this.

I wonder too. I plugged in line out cable to 2.1ch sound system, and my Alessandro MS1i to headphone out. I didn't believe this player had more juice (amp+line out) than I thought. And guess what happened. The battery drained almost exactly the same as when I was playing it along with my headphones.

That happened to me 2 times and this is not good if polling frequency is so low. Especially when I get 11 hours of playing time in sleep mode. I hope I didn't damaged the battery. But I tried to start the Rockbox and it booted, after few seconds automaticly shut itself down. Tried to start xDuoo firmware, system not booted but showed battery icon 3-4 times then screen turned off.

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #1,292 of 2,617
I wonder if there may be double the amplification drain, due to audio routing through the headphone and line out jacks simultaneously. The switching off of one port works properly in the stock firmware.

I have wondered the same thing!  I asked about it in this thread a while back but got no responses.  Resurrected from post #803:

Boot your X3 to the original firmware with your headphones off and put your ear right next to the X3's aluminum body.  You should hear a little click inside as the device powers up.  Now, plug your headphones into the headphone jack.  You will hear nothing change.  Then plug your phones into the line out.  You will hear another click.  Unplug the phones.  This time you will hear a pretty loud click.  What the heck is the click? I believe the X3 firmware activates a hardware switch that disables the amplifier circuit entirely when the line out jack is engaged. 

Now boot Rockbox and do the test again.  There's a click at power on.  No clicks at all when engaging or disengaging the line out jack.  Hmmm...  I think that Rockbox is powering the amp at all times, even when only using the line out.  Seems to me that this would definitely shorten battery life.

Can anybody else weigh in on this notion?  I guess the real test would be measuring battery life while using the headphone jack vs. line out jack in BOTH firmwares, and then comparing the results.  I've just never even used the stock OS except for about 5 minutes when I bought the X3.  Has anybody else noticed a difference?

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #1,294 of 2,617
I think most people use Hifi. The default rockbox ones work well. So far I lik Hifi the best.

I play around with Sansa fuze themes too, they are mostly compatible.

I switch between Hifi , canbiev2, pacman.
Some themes work better than others.

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #1,295 of 2,617
I think most people use Hifi. The default rockbox ones work well. So far I lik Hifi the best.

I play around with Sansa fuze themes too, they are mostly compatible.

I switch between Hifi , canbiev2, pacman.
Some themes work better than others.

Unfortunately with hifi and the other built in 3 i still get the cutoff screen. I only have what came in the rockbox-full zip file....

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #1,297 of 2,617
Apologies if this was answered, couldn't find it, is a special theme needed?

The first time I updated my rockbox to version 161218 my rockbox theme looked messed up just like in your screenshot (I assume it's the Hi-fi theme).  Have been researching this forum for a solution but didn't find it.  Until this morning I tried:
1. Re-downloading the Hi-Fi theme for Sandisk Clip from http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?themeid=2257&target=sansaclip
2. Re-downloading the Rockbox Font pack from https://www.rockbox.org/download/byhand.cgi
3. After unzipping the Hi-Fi theme to my laptop, I copied both folders (themes and wps) to the rockbox folder in my X3
4. Unzip the fonts folder from the Rockbox Font Pack to the rockbox folder in my X3

And somehow my Hi-fi theme is back to normal (below is the screenshot from the wps).

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #1,298 of 2,617

The first time I updated my rockbox to version 161218 my rockbox theme looked messed up just like in your screenshot (I assume it's the Hi-fi theme).  Have been researching this forum for a solution but didn't find it.  Until this morning I tried:
1. Re-downloading the Hi-Fi theme for Sandisk Clip from http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?themeid=2257&target=sansaclip
2. Re-downloading the Rockbox Font pack from https://www.rockbox.org/download/byhand.cgi
3. After unzipping the Hi-Fi theme to my laptop, I copied both folders (themes and wps) to the rockbox folder in my X3
4. Unzip the fonts folder from the Rockbox Font Pack to the rockbox folder in my X3

And somehow my Hi-fi theme is back to normal (below is the screenshot from the wps).

Ah , yes. I forgot people now trying Rockbox would be downloading 161218, hifi theme is messed up there.
I happen to use my own build, so I dont have that issue.
Thanks for the update.

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #1,299 of 2,617

Can you upload your theme elsewhere? I can't access to the theme section on rockbox.org

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #1,300 of 2,617
  Unfortunately with hifi and the other built in 3 i still get the cutoff screen. I only have what came in the rockbox-full zip file....

My take is to change the font size to 8. Correct me if you guys have better solution on this :)

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #1,302 of 2,617
I bought X3 and Installed Rockbox.
Daaamn, it is such a good DAP for it price! A lot of power - much more than iPod Video or ihifi770 (old). Two microSD slots let store my whole music in mp3.
SQ is great, kinda Video way of presenting sound but with more power and slightly narrowe soundstage.

I was worried about battery life. I read about 9 hours, OFW and RB. However I am listening for over 6 hours and still have 50% of battery.

It's instant love. Hope that X3 will serve me well for years.

Jan 29, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #1,303 of 2,617
I am using Hi-Fi theme, and I have below issues:

1. Battery icon not displaying
2. Volume indicator is not visible (while increasing or decreasing volume)  
3. Screen cut-off

I was following the steps you mentioned, but not able to find the font pack. Could you please upload the font pack somewhere ? 

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #1,304 of 2,617

3. Screen cut-off

I was following the steps you mentioned, but not able to find the font pack. Could you please upload the font pack somewhere ? 

The font pack is one of the files you get with rockbox, it should automatically download

Jan 29, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #1,305 of 2,617

3. Screen cut-off

You can unpack and place the file uploaded by komedol to the .rockbox folder in the sd card in the previous post, that should solve the problem. It worked for me. Or you can change the font size to 8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back