Rockbox Xduoo X3
Jan 14, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #1,276 of 2,617
  Ah, just wondering if anybody has used the rockbox midi module, and what needs compilation

I never thought of Midi files in Rockbox. I do use it for my Commodore 64 SID files, and Atari 8-bit SAP files.
After reading your post, I have just downloaded the patchset from the link you posted, and put some *.mid files in a music folder... and it works.

No compilation needed.

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #1,277 of 2,617

I never thought of Midi files in Rockbox. I do use it for my Commodore 64 SID files, and Atari 8-bit SAP files.
After reading your post, I have just downloaded the patchset from the link you posted, and put some *.mid files in a music folder... and it works.

No compilation needed.

Thank you so much! I am extremely grateful for you taking the time to do this. This is wonderful news!
On my old rockbox iPods I had huge folders of midi files but I do have tons of SID and SAP as well as MOD, XM, etc as well
I forget, does rockbox support those natively or did you have to install something else too?

(Sorry for asking so much, my x3 is currently away from home but i'll have it back in a couple days)

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #1,278 of 2,617
  Thank you so much! I am extremely grateful for you taking the time to do this. This is wonderful news!
On my old rockbox iPods I had huge folders of midi files but I do have tons of SID and SAP as well as MOD, XM, etc as well
I forget, does rockbox support those natively or did you have to install something else too?

You’re welcome.
 I did not have to install anything for SID and SAP, they worked straight away/
I've not tried MOD, and XM. If I do so before you, I'll let you know.

Jan 14, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #1,279 of 2,617

You’re welcome.
 I did not have to install anything for SID and SAP, they worked straight away/
I've not tried MOD, and XM. If I do so before you, I'll let you know.

Thank you man. I  appreciate it immensely. here is a cool MOD that should be well supported if implemented at all:

https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=47057

edit: Found my answer, it should work, but that songs is cool anyway 
smily_headphones1.gif

In addition, there are playback of game audio types ADXSIDNSFSAPSPC, AY, GBSHES, KSS, SGC, VGM, and VGZ. The MOD tracker format, and the Yamaha SMAF are also now supported.[20]

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #1,280 of 2,617
Hey guys i just got myself an X3. 
beerchug.gif

I have already installed rockbox but i have a few questions about it. 
1. Under playback settings i noticed there is a frequency setting of 44.1 or 48 khz . What is it for and does it do anything
2.Under sound settings , what does dac's oversampling do to the sound? Any difference between the 128x 64x or 32x?

Thanks.

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #1,281 of 2,617
44.1 and 48 are sample rates. If your audio files have a sample rate of 44,1 or 88,2 or 176,4 then you chose 44,1 and the sound will be clear. If your audio files have 48 96 or 192khz sample rate, then you set 48khz and the sound will be clear, as it should be, but if you play 44,1 files on 48 setting the player has to do a conversion and quality will be affected by converting from one samplerate to another.
Oversampling is used inside the DAC, mainly to push switching noise above human audio spectrum. It takes your 44.1KHz sample rate file and multiplies that sample (adds samples by estimating intermediate values) by a factor of 32 or 64 or 128 and then feeds the upsampled stream to the DAC. 
Anyone please correct me if i'm wrong, i'm a beginner at this.

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #1,285 of 2,617
Hi guys,

My X3 is freezing on start up with original firmware, it's like a bootloop as i understand. I tried to flash original firmware  but also rockbox bootlader with Vortex's way but no chance both of them. Any ideas will be appreciated!...

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #1,286 of 2,617
  That battery is stock for mine, so I have nothing to compare to.
I had my rockbox set to 1500mah, we'll see by me putting it to 2000mah, as my battery indicates, if it helps.

I have been running it with 2000mah, im not sure that I noticed much difference.

Something is not correct in measurement of the capacity, because  after rockbox shutdown due to "empty battery",  I could still boot up with the stock firmware and use it.

(I backed out any change on my rockbox to set it to 2500mah, i was confused by different images on my desktop)

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #1,287 of 2,617

I have been running it with 2000mah, im not sure that I noticed much difference.

Something is not correct in measurement of the capacity, because  after rockbox shutdown due to "empty battery",  I could still boot up with the stock firmware and use it.

(I backed out any change on my rockbox to set it to 2500mah, i was confused by different images on my desktop)

Rockbox uses more juice than stock FW...maybe that's why you could still boot to stock.  Most of us are lucky to get 5 hours listening with Rockbox, compared to 8 claimed for stock.
So changing the battery capacity setting does nothing?

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #1,288 of 2,617
I don't know if it does something but, It was set to "2000mAh" by default in my player.

I benchmarked the battery, to see how long it can play without touching any button + screen turned off.
Battery charged for 4 hours (for guarantee) and achieved %100. Every sound enhancing feature was off. Theme base skin was "Hi-Fi". Sound level was "-30dB"

I was quite shocked when I saw it played more than 3 times longer. It was playing even after 11 hours and suddenly music stopped, player shut down.
I am never going to touch my player after that. Only if I really have to do it.

Jan 19, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #1,289 of 2,617
  I don't know if it does something but, It was set to "2000mAh" by default in my player.

I benchmarked the battery, to see how long it can play without touching any button + screen turned off.
Battery charged for 4 hours (for guarantee) and achieved %100. Every sound enhancing feature was off. Theme base skin was "Hi-Fi". Sound level was "-30dB"

I was quite shocked when I saw it played more than 3 times longer. It was playing even after 11 hours and suddenly music stopped, player shut down.

11 hours...Wow!  I rarely listen to an entire album...always browsing and skipping tracks.  I guess now I know why I'm not getting long play times with each charge.  Did you use the battery benchmark feature that is built into Rockbox (I just came across this in the menu the other day...haven't tried it), or did you just use a clock?  I'd like to measure my battery life.  I use Rockbox EQ most of the time, so I know that takes some extra juice...

Jan 19, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #1,290 of 2,617

The battery life drains quite quickly for me when I'm tinkering with setting, and the screen is lit quite a bit, which makes sense.
In the code rockbox shuts down when the system detects 3300 mv.
The battery is the same capacity and voltage of my iPod photo. That lasts double the length, due to a lower drain.

I wonder if there may be double the amplification drain, due to audio routing through the headphone and line out jacks simultaneously. The switching off of one port works properly in the stock firmware.

I'm curious of the polling frequency of the battery. I know there are times when my device is playing just fine for a couple of hrs, then I go to change something, press a button. Immediately after the button press, the system powers down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back