Rockbox Xduoo X3
Feb 19, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #1,336 of 2,617
Great news about the update XVortex!

Unfortunately I didn't go about updating correctly. I think I should have reverted to stock first. It's crashed out... and I am trying to work out how to force it to shut down.

Once I work out what I have done wrong, I will do some more testing.

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #1,337 of 2,617
I had to do a reset after copying over the update, apart from that seems to be working well at the moment.  After copy it asked me if I wanted to reboot, got a ROLO (I think) message that the player stuck on.

Feb 19, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #1,338 of 2,617
I reset to stock, then set up Rockbox again with the new release. Not sure if I did something wrong. It worked well - but again crashed when I tried and add voice.

I changed the Voice settings to:

Voice Menus = Yes
Voice directories = off
use directory.talk clips = Yes
Voice file names = off
Use file .talk clips = yes
Say file fype = off

Once I set these, I went back to now playing, or to the files menu and start scrolling, I got the error:

*PANIC*
TLB refill handler
at 0x8004B568! [0x7E7EECC0]

I reset, changed the settings, then rebooted without trying - and now the voice files seem to working well. I have scrolled about with no problem. However it won't voice the menu files (do I need to add the directory talk files myself somewhere? I can generate and add if I know to put them.

I just need to find the location to put the menu talk clips. I'll have a search - I think someone (maybe on this thread) ,mentioned the location of the menu talk clips.

Also - with the sansa i could edit the initial screen menu. I assume I can do the same on this? I'll give it a try.

Feb 19, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #1,339 of 2,617

What I learned is that  In order for the menus to be read, Rockbox needs to have a language.voice file in the .rockbox/langs/  that has a corresponding .lng file. So I had to compile the "language.voice" file.

For instance, during compilation of rockbox, I chose english-us as my language. When I ran "make voice" to compile the voice file, it created a file named english-us.voice.
I then copied the english-us.voice file to .rockbox/langs/  on my sd card. Powered up the X3, then chose english-us as the language from General settings. It will read all of the menu items in the base directory  of the player, but once I try to drill down, it panics.
The panic happens when either engine is used to create the voice file (Festival or or Flite engine).

The simulator on my desktop voices the menus fine (but the simulator is NOT an emulator, so its not exactly a 1:1 comparison)

Ah! Here it is. 

Masseo1 - dumb question - but where do I run the "make voice" compiler? Is it on the device itself? The latest update makes the individual file talk files work perfectly.

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #1,340 of 2,617
Hi all.
Rockbox for xDuoo X3 has been updated to 3ffd709-170219.
- All rockbox upstream patches has been applied;
- Voice has been fixed (credits goes to Igor B. Poretsky).

You, sir, are awesome.

Thanks so much for your efforts on this. It is much appreciated.

Feb 20, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #1,341 of 2,617
In answer to my own question, it is the same process to customise the main menu. The only issue being that the system menu doesn't appear. Possibly it is triggered by something other than the default system_menu name.

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #1,343 of 2,617
  Ah! Here it is. 

Masseo1 - dumb question - but where do I run the "make voice" compiler? Is it on the device itself? The latest update makes the individual file talk files work perfectly.

HI there,
The make voice is done in the command line on your computer, not on the device itself. You would then copy the voice file off to the device.

BTW, I did get the voice working fully on my system about a month ago, but I wasnt exactly sure as to which combination of changes I used to eventually make it stable, and would have felt bad letting someone else use my method and have it crash continuously for them.

Thankfully the fix was rolled out.

Thanks,

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #1,344 of 2,617
HI there,
The make voice is done in the command line on your computer, not on the device itself. You would then copy the voice file off to the device.

BTW, I did get the voice working fully on my system about a month ago, but I wasnt exactly sure as to which combination of changes I used to eventually make it stable, and would have felt bad letting someone else use my method and have it crash continuously for them.

Thankfully the fix was rolled out.

Thanks,

I tried downloading a voice file from rockbox and putting it in the langs folder - but that didn't work. Also I couldn't figure out why the files were specific to a device.

I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate a little on the method I would need to use to get the menus speaking. Thanks in advance.

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #1,345 of 2,617
I tried downloading a voice file from rockbox and putting it in the langs folder - but that didn't work. Also I couldn't figure out why the files were specific to a device.

I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate a little on the method I would need to use to get the menus speaking. Thanks in advance.

Hi there,
The .voice file needs to be compiled for the proper hardware target. In this case, it would be for the Xduoo X3  (Ingenic jz4760 chip)
What language do you want to try? . I can compile and attach a .voice file for you, that you would place in the .rockbox/langs/folder .

The hard part is the generation of any .talk files, as that usually comes from the official rockbox installer.
I have started trying to generate talk files from the command line, but did not get very far, as I have issues with my laptop reading my sd card properly.

BTW, I found my original post where I learned how to enable voice:

"What I learned is that  In order for the menus to be read, Rockbox needs to have a language.voice file in the .rockbox/langs/  that has a corresponding .lng file. So I had to compile the "language.voice" file.

For instance, during compilation of rockbox, I chose english-us as my language. When I ran "make voice" to compile the voice file, it created a file named english-us.voice.
I then copied the english-us.voice file to .rockbox/langs/  on my sd card."

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #1,346 of 2,617
Hi there,
The .voice file needs to be compiled for the proper hardware target. In this case, it would be for the Xduoo X3  (Ingenic jz4760 chip)
What language do you want to try? . I can compile and attach a .voice file for you, that you would place in the .rockbox/langs/folder .

BTW, I found my original post where I learned how to enable voice:

"What I learned is that  In order for the menus to be read, Rockbox needs to have a language.voice file in the .rockbox/langs/  that has a corresponding .lng file. So I had to compile the "language.voice" file.

I then copied the english-us.voice file to .rockbox/langs/  on my sd card."

Thanks masseo1! I need English.uk but I can tolerate American at a stretch :wink:

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #1,347 of 2,617
Thanks masseo1! I need English.uk but I can tolerate American at a stretch
wink.gif

I played with both files (english.voice and english_us.voice), and the sound exactly the same,.. kind of pseudo american/british.

Attached is english.voice. It goes in your SD cards .rockbox/lang/ folder.
  It will correspond to you selecting English as your language.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back