Rockbox Xduoo X3
Aug 22, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #691 of 2,617

Yes, I'd say trying to install rockbox on an X3 with only a 128gig card is asking for a hitch.

Just for sake of trying not to "brick" my X3, I'd make sure I did it with a very small card. I'm lucky, in that way, I have hundreds.

Ok so I tried it with a 1GB card and absolutely no luck. Again, I select Yes to update and I am greeted with a black screen that doesn't go away.

Aug 22, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #692 of 2,617
I'm going to have to return it if I cannot figure this out. The gap in the beginning of audio is enough for me to not want to use it. I'm doing literally nothing different, yet apparently nobody has this same problem.

Aug 22, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #694 of 2,617
Yes. It may take a bit, but the X3 should appear as removable storage.

I was also wondering if you got a defective machine.

Side note: I cannot reliably transfer music via USB even with the X3 in OFW. It randomly unmounts. I always have to use a card reader.
But it does initially appear as removable storage.

Aug 22, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #695 of 2,617
Yes. It may take a bit, but the X3 should appear as removable storage.

I was also wondering if you got a defective machine.

Side note: I cannot reliably transfer music via USB even with the X3 in OFW. It randomly unmounts. I always have to use a card reader.
But it does initially appear as removable storage.

Hm. It does never mount my X3. I didn't even know it could. This is interesting. I will try on a different Windows 7 in my home. Does this guide also work on OSX? When putting .rockbox and update.zip on your card, do you do it through a reader or with the player plugged into the computer?

Aug 22, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #696 of 2,617
I do everything with a card reader. It should work with OSX, but OSX will hide the .rockbox folder, as the leading dot indicates to the OS that it should be a hidden folder. OSX is reluctant to write to hidden folders, but may transfer one to the card (if you can find it). :)

You may be able to use the OSX app Easy7z to unzip .rockbox directly onto the SD card. I think that app allows you to choose a destination folder.

Aug 22, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #697 of 2,617
I do everything with a card reader. It should work with OSX, but OSX will hide the .rockbox folder, as the leading dot indicates to the OS that it should be a hidden folder. OSX is reluctant to write to hidden folders, but may transfer one to the card (if you can find it).
smily_headphones1.gif

You may be able to use the OSX app Easy7z to unzip .rockbox directly onto the SD card. I think that app allows you to choose a destination folder.

Then in that case I don't see what involvement my machine would play. If everything is done through a card reader (which is what I've been doing), then it should be working. Again, I cannot think of why it isn't.

Aug 22, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #698 of 2,617
If you're already using a feed reader, the only thing the X3 is doing is updating its firmware with the zip file on the SD card...and it doesn't seem to want to do that.

Okay, dumb question, and in no way intended to insult your intelligence, but is the SD card inserted in Slot 1? I seriously only ask because for some reason Slot 1 is on the right, and I almost made that mistake.

Aug 22, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #699 of 2,617
If you're already using a feed reader, the only thing the X3 is doing is updating its firmware with the zip file on the SD card...and it doesn't seem to want to do that.

Okay, dumb question, and in no way intended to insult your intelligence, but is the SD card inserted in Slot 1? I seriously only ask because for some reason Slot 1 is on the right, and I almost made that mistake.

Yeah, it is. I've repeated this process an uncountable amount of times, covering every possible angle that could be obstructing me installing this damn firmware. 
I mount my SD card, write update.zip to its root, extract .rockbox to the root, unmount it, install it to my X3, then choose to upgrade. 

Aug 22, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #700 of 2,617
I am officially flummoxed. The only other thing I can think of is that the flash in the X3 that holds the OFW is corrupted and cannot be written during the update. No idea how to test that, though.

If it's possible to exchange your player for a different one, that may be the next viable step.

Aug 22, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #701 of 2,617
I am officially flummoxed. The only other thing I can think of is that the flash in the X3 that holds the OFW is corrupted and cannot be written during the update. No idea how to test that, though.

If it's possible to exchange your player for a different one, that may be the next viable step.

Yeah I mean I assume I can ship it back to Amazon and they can give me a new one. It is, after all, defective if this is the case.Is there a place I should be absolutely getting it from to ensure it is not flawed?  
I mean I don't understand why it would have been in the first place, being new and all. 

Aug 22, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #702 of 2,617
I got mine on Amazon. I don't think one supplier or another is more likely to have defective units, I just think quality control doesn't always catch the subtle things before they leave the factory.

See if Amazon will swap it out. If nothing else, waiting for the new one to arrive might help your frustrations with this one fade...

Aug 22, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #703 of 2,617
I got mine on Amazon. I don't think one supplier or another is more likely to have defective units, I just think quality control doesn't always catch the subtle things before they leave the factory.

See if Amazon will swap it out. If nothing else, waiting for the new one to arrive might help your frustrations with this one fade...

Yeah I will likely try that tomorrow. Is there any chance you can send the exact one that you bought off of Amazon? There are quite a few options on Amazon for whatever reason, and want to make sure that doesn't compromise its quality (though I don't understand why it would.)

Aug 22, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #704 of 2,617
I ordered this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BUUCFBU/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_ul7UxbJK3T9RH

...because they were out of stock and the price dropped until they restocked. B) It takes a few weeks to get to you, though. There's no reason the Prime-eligible one would be different quality, I would think.

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #705 of 2,617
Yeah I will likely try that tomorrow. Is there any chance you can send the exact one that you bought off of Amazon? There are quite a few options on Amazon for whatever reason, and want to make sure that doesn't compromise its quality (though I don't understand why it would.)

Sorry just caught the end of this conversation so apologies if it's been mentioned, but is your card definitely formatted as FAT32 as i had the exact same problem and that was the issue for me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back