Rockbox Xduoo X3
Aug 21, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #676 of 2,617
If you're following XVortex's instructions, it should work. Is the .rockbox folder (and its contents) in the root directory of your SD card? When the X3 restarts after you press the Reset button, does it boot into the original firmware? Will it boot into the original firmware if you keep the Hold switch on while you power on?

After I reset, it boots to the original firmware. It will not boot to the original firmware until after I restart it. When I update, I never get an indication that rockbox is installing; it just turns black and essentially bricks until I hit restart.
.rockbox is indeed in my root.
Before I restart it, after i choose to upgrade, I cannot boot my original firmware no matter what. 

Aug 21, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #677 of 2,617
That's weird. Maybe the firmware file is corrupted? Okay, maybe a different MicroSD card? Bear with me--I'm going to outline the basics:

Re-download the first two files from Vortex's page: http://xvtx.ru/rockbox/download.htm

Re-format your new MicroSD card and unzip the rockbox-full file there.

Copy the update-to-rockbox file to the new MicroSD card (renaming it simply to "update.zip" after it's copied over).

Then upgrade (yet again--you're getting professional at this by now, I'm sure) the firmware with the X3's Settings -> Upgrade feature.

I'd suggest letting it sit for a good half hour after you click "Upgrade." Just to be sure it has enough time.

Good luck--I'm in the middle of fighting with OpenELEC on an outdated PC, so I understand how frustrating gadgets can be sometimes.

Aug 21, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #678 of 2,617
  That's weird. Maybe the firmware file is corrupted? Okay, maybe a different MicroSD card? Bear with me--I'm going to outline the basics:

Re-download the first two files from Vortex's page: http://xvtx.ru/rockbox/download.htm

Re-format your new MicroSD card and unzip the rockbox-full file there.

Copy the update-to-rockbox file to the new MicroSD card (renaming it simply to "update.zip" after it's copied over).

Then upgrade (yet again--you're getting professional at this by now, I'm sure) the firmware with the X3's Settings -> Upgrade feature.

I'd suggest letting it sit for a good half hour after you click "Upgrade." Just to be sure it has enough time.

Good luck--I'm in the middle of fighting with OpenELEC on an outdated PC, so I understand how frustrating gadgets can be sometimes.

Still no real luck. I've even done a full reformat to FAT32 4096bytes. I'm not exactly sure that I have any other micro SDs in my home, so I cannot try another SD card. 

Aug 22, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #680 of 2,617
I used an 8GB Patriot class 10 card for the initial install. Once Rockbox was running, I unzipped the .rockbox folder onto my current 128GB PNY and added music.

This is vexing. It doesn't help that I'm not very good at troubleshooting, and I apologise for that.

Aug 22, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #681 of 2,617
I used an 8GB Patriot class 10 card for the initial install. Once Rockbox was running, I unzipped the .rockbox folder onto my current 128GB PNY and added music.

This is vexing. It doesn't help that I'm not very good at troubleshooting, and I apologise for that.

Don't sweat it. I'm wondering if I should pick up a 8gb-or-so SD card to try an initial install with that.

Aug 22, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #683 of 2,617

Don't sweat it. I'm wondering if I should pick up a 8gb-or-so SD card to try an initial install with that.

Yes, I'd say trying to install rockbox on an X3 with only a 128gig card is asking for a hitch.

Just for sake of trying not to "brick" my X3, I'd make sure I did it with a very small card. I'm lucky, in that way, I have hundreds.

Aug 22, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #685 of 2,617

Yes, I'd say trying to install rockbox on an X3 with only a 128gig card is asking for a hitch.

Just for sake of trying not to "brick" my X3, I'd make sure I did it with a very small card. I'm lucky, in that way, I have hundreds.

Thanks for that. I have an 8gb micro SD incoming. 

That should do fine.

I don't have any cards bigger than 64g.

As Xduoo have never ever claimed that the X3 can handle a card bigger than 32gig, it's wise to assume that even though the higher level stuff like rockbox and the Xduoo firmware itself can go at least part of the way towards coping with the vast real estate, the actual "BIOS" level of compatibility may well have glitches with huge cards.

Then there's the exFAT matter.

I don't really understand why they switched to exFAT above 32 gig. Anyone?

We assume it's perfectly OK to format a card bigger than 32 as a FAT32 partition. We seem to get away with it all the time, but really, what's that all about?

I'd like someone with real knowledge on this matter to chime in, please.

Anyway, my guess is that the very basic low level stuff that runs while installing rockbox has never been intended to handle any incoming surprises when it's setting up parameters etc, so it can operate within the given hardware layout. All it needs is one unexpected return code and it'll probably stop and crap itself. I'll guess, for now, that's what happened in your case, this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back