Rockbox Xduoo X3
May 9, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #271 of 2,617
  The same happened to me the first time I tried doing a screendump, Rockbox froze and it took me about 1 or 2 minutes before I thought of the hard reset.​
smile.gif

Did you rename the update-to-rockbox-xxxx.zip to update.zip before copying to SD ?

And remember just rename it to update, the .zip is the file extension, you could have renamed it to update.zip.zip.

May 10, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #273 of 2,617
Just bought an X3 and immediately installed the latest RB version. It sort of worked, but

1. when I remove the SD card with the RB files, it doesn't start up (Loading firmware... Error: File not found)
  2. with the SD card that contains the RB files inserted, I can obviously only use the other SD card for music playback

Has anyone else experienced this issue or, better yet, knows how to fix it?

May 10, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #274 of 2,617
  Just bought an X3 and immediately installed the latest RB version. It sort of worked, but

1. when I remove the SD card with the RB files, it doesn't start up (Loading firmware... Error: File not found)
  2. with the SD card that contains the RB files inserted, I can obviously only use the other SD card for music playback

Has anyone else experienced this issue or, better yet, knows how to fix it?

This is the normal behaviour of RB on our X3: the RB files MUST BE on the first SD card, if don't, you got the error reported. You can boot the original firmware (I think!) and play the music in the second SD card...

May 10, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #275 of 2,617

This is the normal behaviour of RB on our X3: the RB files MUST BE on the first SD card, if don't, you got the error reported. You can boot the original firmware (I think!) and play the music in the second SD card...

Thanks for clearing this up! Coming from RB'ed clip zip, I expected RB to be installed on the device's internal memory, so that the SD card slot would be available again for normal usage. It's no big deal, just awkward and confusing. RB is way more useful than a second card slot!

May 10, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #276 of 2,617

Thanks for clearing this up! Coming from RB'ed clip zip, I expected RB to be installed on the device's internal memory, so that the SD card slot would be available again for normal usage. It's no big deal, just awkward and confusing. RB is way more useful than a second card slot!

I don't understand the problem. On the first SD card, with RB files, you can also store music files as well!
In the first slot of my X3 I use a 64Gb card with RB files and with a lot of music: the RB folder doesn't use so much space...

May 10, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #277 of 2,617

I don't understand the problem. On the first SD card, with RB files, you can also store music files as well!
In the first slot of my X3 I use a 64Gb card with RB files and with a lot of music: the RB folder doesn't use so much space...

Ah, since RB showed me the second card slot as <microSD1>, I assumed that the first slot was not used at all (besides for holding the RB files). I frequently swap cards between devices, so if I want to keep doing this, I'll have to replicate the RB files on all cards. Or use only the second card slot on the X3. Either way it's awkward and confusing. Do I need to keep all RB files or just update.zip?

May 10, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #278 of 2,617
Ah, since RB showed me the second card slot as , I assumed that the first slot was not used at all (besides for holding the RB files). I frequently swap cards between devices, so if I want to keep doing this, I'll have to replicate the RB files on all cards. Or use only the second card slot on the X3. Either way it's awkward and confusing. Do I need to keep all RB files or just update.zip?

Its not confusing. I also swap between devices. Just put all RB folders on all cards. They don't take up much room.

May 11, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #280 of 2,617
  The easiest and safest method is this:

For first time installation follow this steps:
1) Download bootloader (update-to-rockbox-xxx.zip) and rockbox system’s archives (rockbox-full-xxx.zip);
2) Rename update-to-rockbox-xxx.zip to update.zip and write to the root of the micro SD-card without unpacking.
3) Unpack rockbox-full-xxx.zip to the root of the micro SD-card. System folder .rockbox must be placed at the root of this memory card. Card must be formatted to FAT16 or FAT32. Filesystems ExFAT, NTFS, EXT3/4 does not supported!
4) Install this SD- card to the X3 slot number 1;
5) Be sured that your X3 is totally charged. Normally update your player. To do this, in the menu "Setting" select "Upgrade";
6) The process of flashing must to begin. After successful installation Rockbox will start automatically

Rockboxing is independent of which version of the factory firmware you have installed.

Since this is a dual boot set up, you can simply use the slide lock switch to revert to xDuoo O/I and update the factory firmware. 

could be done this on a Windows 10 computer? On the vortex site only the older Windows are mentioned (maybe as a minimum requirement? not clear).
Clarification would be greatly appreciated. thanks,

May 11, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #281 of 2,617

could be done this on a Windows 10 computer? On the vortex site only the older Windows are mentioned (maybe as a minimum requirement? not clear).
Clarification would be greatly appreciated. thanks,

Don't worry about the windows version recommendation: that would be important if you follow the manual installation (that was the "old" one).
The instructions that you quoted reports that you must:
- format a sd card
- rename a file
- copy it to the sd card
ecc.
This could be done with every SO...

May 11, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #282 of 2,617
Don't worry about the windows version recommendation: that would be important if you follow the manual installation (that was the "old" one).
The instructions that you quoted reports that you must:
- format a sd card
- rename a file
- copy it to the sd card
ecc.
This could be done with every SO...

Thanks, that sounds easy. Will do it tonight.

May 11, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #283 of 2,617
Its not confusing. I also swap between devices. Just put all RB folders on all cards. They don't take up much room.

I guess I could get used to it if it were only about the firmware. However...

AND, the different set of files in the .roxbox folder can be a custom setup for just those files on that card.

You are right. Thanks for pointing it out! My personal settings are stored on the card as well. This could be considered useful by some. However, it raises the question how to keep all cards consistent, in case you're like me and don't want different custom setups on your cards. Let's say I change an EQ setting for a certain headphone or IEM. The next thing I'd have to do is apply the same change to all the other cards, because I don't want the sound to change on swapping cards. This is just not how it works with all other devices (namely my collection of clip zips). More importantly, I have to check the volume setting after swapping cards, because I might have used a card with relatively insensitive full-size headphones (think 600 ohms T1) last time. If I'm currently using sensitive IEMs, a simple card swap can be hazardous to my hearing and/or IEMs.

There are probably reasons why it's implemented this way. I'll just keep using only the second slot for music and everything's fine!

Did I mention that this player drives my T1 with ease? It does!

May 11, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #284 of 2,617
Quote:
  AND, the different set of files in the .roxbox folder can be a custom setup for just those files on that card.

You are right. Thanks for pointing it out! My personal settings are stored on the card as well. This could be considered useful by some. However, it raises the question how to keep all cards consistent, in case you're like me and don't want different custom setups on your cards. Let's say I change an EQ setting for a certain headphone or IEM. The next thing I'd have to do is apply the same change to all the other cards, because I don't want the sound to change on swapping cards. This is just not how it works with all other devices (namely my collection of clip zips). More importantly, I have to check the volume setting after swapping cards, because I might have used a card with relatively insensitive full-size headphones (think 600 ohms T1) last time. If I'm currently using sensitive IEMs, a simple card swap can be hazardous to my hearing and/or IEMs.

There are probably reasons why it's implemented this way. I'll just keep using only the second slot for music and everything's fine!

Did I mention that this player drives my T1 with ease? It does!

I'm currently using my X3 the same way you are, with the first slot being undisturbed while I swap all kinds of stuff in and out of the second slot.

But !, I'm planning and preparing groups of files for cards no bigger than 16 gig, usually. I'm preparing a folder tree full of sound samples in WAV 44.1K. I will eventually feed them through LINE OUT either into a software processing "rack" or more probably my old outboard hardware processing rack. The main tweak I want to perform to all the samples I'll put on one card, is, to narrow down the stereo width. The X3 in RockBox mode will easily do the narrowing, and the line out is good.

Other groups of files I am anticipating are, anything for playing through my home hifi, podcasts and possibly playlists for informal gatherings.

I have a lot of smallish cards. It's easy for me to distribute groups of files onto cards, the hard bit is keeping track and organised with what's on each card, because I forget so quickly. I need to develop an oldskool filing system. These microSD cards are so tiny I think I need to make something that they slot into and become something about the size of an old index card. I've tried Sellotaping them to postit type notes, that sort of does the job but I'd prefer a neater system.

It's amazing how many different kinds of uses people have for the very same hardware.

May 11, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #285 of 2,617
  If you take the time to look through both the xDuoo X3 and Rockbox xDuoo X3 threads you'll find that using Rockbox addresses most all the laments of the factory's firmware.  That said some have reported that using certain database schemes can still exhibit minor delays.  But it seems quite rare.  I use the file approach instead of the database and have no such delays.  I also have gapless playback. 

The unit itself is excellent but xDuoo has seemingly fallen on their sword regarding firmware updates content to let XVortex's Rockbox port resolve things instead.  Rather reprehensible in my opinion.

I appreciate what you are saying, but that's pretty hyperbolic and represents their motivations in an absurd way.  Just because they don't immediately have a firmware fix doesn't mean nothing is in the works and xDuoo is almost certainly a very small all-Chinese firm which will cause delays in and of itself, because firmware fixes are far from free and the language and culture barriers are much higher than experience with Fiio would lead one to believe.  Naturally, failing to improve the stock firmware, given the expectations and the competition, will eventually make them very foolish and severely limit their market share of a very small competitive market, because the vast majority of consumers are not willing to mess with RB and want perfect stock firmware, so their warranty is preserved (among other things).  Plus, Fiio set a very high bar for responsiveness on the part of a Chinese DAP manufacturer and xDuoo will be at a severe competitive disadvantage if they fail to deliver responsiveness.

However, that is suicidal, not reprehensible.

In my opinion Exxon is reprehensible, GE is reprehensible, Monsanto is reprehensible, Glaxo-Smith-Kline is reprehensible, etc.  xDuoo is far too insignificant to even come close to reprehensible, though they may find themselves wishing they had been more on the ball if they can't move units, because of their unfinished stock firmware.

Edit: Still better than Pono - now THAT's reprehensible by design.

Edit x2:  Consumers need to keep up the pressure on xDuoo to spend money refining their firmware, I just think that framing complaints in a way that makes clear the threat to their future market footprint if they fail to improve the stock firmware will be the more effective than yelling about how evil they are for acting like a for-profit company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back