Rockbox Xduoo X3
May 11, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #286 of 2,617
Got mine on order since my Fiio X1 I got a week ago has frozen twice in the past few days, its a common issue I'm not willing to put up with. Esp for $100. So I believe I had read that the 200GB Sandisk cards work, correct? I'll need to reformat to 4096 bytes in Fat32? Then add the RB files.

On the download pages I see two Files under Initial Setup and another under System Update? Do I do the initial setup files first then after installed do the System Update?

May 11, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #287 of 2,617
Lurk650:  Guidance PMed
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #288 of 2,617
So I got it Rockboxed but it won't show me the microsd when connected to my laptop so I booted to Stock software by flipping lock switch to locked and now I can't get it to turn off to boot to RB again. Just goes to a battery icon when I hold power off

May 13, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #289 of 2,617
  So I got it Rockboxed but it won't show me the microsd when connected to my laptop so I booted to Stock software by flipping lock switch to locked and now I can't get it to turn off to boot to RB again. Just goes to a battery icon when I hold power off

This happened to me too. I suspect it may be a hardware defect, but I solved it (maybe temporarily) by resetting and pressing any button (besides power), and connecting to a power source. Unplug it, and it's never given me any problems from that point onwards. Not sure if it'll work for you, but worth a try. 

May 13, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #290 of 2,617

This happened to me too. I suspect it may be a hardware defect, but I solved it (maybe temporarily) by resetting and pressing any button (besides power), and connecting to a power source. Unplug it, and it's never given me any problems from that point onwards. Not sure if it'll work for you, but worth a try. 

Yeah I got it figured out. I just went to settings and chose Upgrade. Have to remember to boot into stock software for the file management. Now, the line out volume is super low volume. How do I turn it up? I think I read somewhere about turning the gain up in the settings? 

May 13, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #291 of 2,617
  Yeah I got it figured out. I just went to settings and chose Upgrade. Have to remember to boot into stock software for the file management. Now, the line out volume is super low volume. How do I turn it up? I think I read somewhere about turning the gain up in the settings? 

I think someone mentioned before that the LO and HO volume isn't independent so you might have to boost the volume manually (?)

May 13, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #292 of 2,617

I think someone mentioned before that the LO and HO volume isn't independent so you might have to boost the volume manually (?)

Yeah was literally about to edit my post, did a Google search and found Bob's post saying to max out the volume at 0db. As I was going from -35 to 0 the volume got louder. Much better. Good thing I turned down the E12 volume first.

Since my stupid laptop battery died here at work I didn't have time to throw my super HQ files on my card, using my microsd from my phone which I forgot I had. Should suffice for right now on my lunch. Got Hotel California Acoustic playing. Initial impressions....don't notice much difference in SQ from the X1 with my E12 honestly. Add in the FiiO seems to be a better quality build and easier to navigate b/c RB software sucks 

May 13, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #293 of 2,617
  Yeah was literally about to edit my post, did a Google search and found Bob's post saying to max out the volume at 0db. As I was going from -35 to 0 the volume got louder. Much better. Good thing I turned down the E12 volume first.

Since my stupid laptop battery died here at work I didn't have time to throw my super HQ files on my card, using my microsd from my phone which I forgot I had. Should suffice for right now on my lunch. Got Hotel California Acoustic playing. Initial impressions....don't notice much difference in SQ from the X1 with my E12 honestly. Add in the FiiO seems to be a better quality build and easier to navigate b/c RB software sucks 

Interesting. I've never heard the X1 extensively but did demo it once back home at an audio shop. My impressions were that the X3 was more detailed, neutral and had better SQ in general, but I guess having the E12 makes a difference. 

May 13, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #294 of 2,617

Interesting. I've never heard the X1 extensively but did demo it once back home at an audio shop. My impressions were that the X3 was more detailed, neutral and had better SQ in general, but I guess having the E12 makes a difference. 

Out of the HP jack the X1 sucks, turn on Line Out and wham it improves BUT you know what, playing Ellie Gouldings - Lights (Bassnectar Remix) right now you are correct! Guess I was just used to my X1 sound the past week. Noticing more details that are somewhat hidden, less clear on the X1. Gonna do more listening of course when I get home and using proper FLAC and ALAC files

May 14, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #295 of 2,617
You guys weren't kidding. Xduoo X3 > Fiio X1. The X1 is still good, just needs an amp but you will hear bass roll off, smaller soundstage width, less clarity and more intimate mids.

On that note, I have Shuffle enabled but it's not shuffling all the time. I have the whole entire Oh Wonder album in my list and it kept going through the songs one after another, choose a different song by another artist and it shuffles fine now. Weird

May 14, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #296 of 2,617
Followed the Rockbox installation procedures and it is working as implemented. I deleted the upgrade.zip file after completing the firmware update.

Reconfigured the font setting to 12-sazanami-mincho.fnt o display Chinese and Japanese characters. I could see the track and almum titles displayed properly in Files and Database.

May 15, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #297 of 2,617
I am looking to purchase an X3 but I do not have access to a PC running Windows 7. Is it possible to install it on a Windows 10 PC now or do you still need a Win 7 machine. Please advise if it's possible and if there is any difference to the main instructions you can access from the first post. I have installed Rockbox on other players before but this one looks a bit tricky. If I can't get the hang of it how bad is the pitch error, will it really wind me up if I am really familiar with my tunes?

May 15, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #298 of 2,617
  I am looking to purchase an X3 but I do not have access to a PC running Windows 7. Is it possible to install it on a Windows 10 PC now or do you still need a Win 7 machine. Please advise if it's possible and if there is any difference to the main instructions you can access from the first post. I have installed Rockbox on other players before but this one looks a bit tricky. If I can't get the hang of it how bad is the pitch error, will it really wind me up if I am really familiar with my tunes?

It's better to have one just in case the convenient/simple installation doesn't work, but a VM will work well. If you go to the X3 RB website you'll see that there's a new way of installing that is far simpler - it's simply copying and pasting a .zip file and the system into the microSD card and updating it. 

Regarding the pitch error, it's more of a hit and miss. For me it was there sometimes, but sometimes I couldn't notice it. 

May 15, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #299 of 2,617
Win10 is fine. It's what I used Friday. After install and flash you need to power off, flip switch to Locked then power on, this will boot in Stock fw then you can connect to computer and move files. When done, disconnect, power off, flip lock switch to Unlocked and power on and it will boot to RB. You can't do file management with RB booted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back