Rockbox Xduoo X3
Nov 14, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #1,981 of 2,617
Well, the screen is broke anyways, so you can't make it any worse haha.

Are you sure it's super glue, or could it just be double sided tape? Could also be heat glue (that could be loosened with hair dryer or heat gun (on low heat).

Did you check for obvious problems, like a cold solder joint, torn or damaged ribbon cable, bad SMD component etc? It may not be the screen at all, but rather something on the circuit board that drives the screen.
Yes you are right it looks like a double sided tape. Will try with a hair drier. I have checked the connections. Last I checked I could hear pop sound on button press. So it's the display at fault.

Nov 14, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #1,982 of 2,617
Now in addition to my battery problem I have now another one. I can hear a annoying click noise when I plug in my headphones, even without playing music and I can hear it during the music too. It stays also in the original firmware. Such an disappointment.

Nov 14, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #1,983 of 2,617
Now in addition to my battery problem I have now another one. I can hear a annoying click noise when I plug in my headphones, even without playing music and I can hear it during the music too. It stays also in the original firmware. Such an disappointment.

It could also be a loose solder connection on 1 of the pins of the headphone jack. I remember reading about that happening to a few people on HF. If that is the problem, then it should be an easy repair using a soldering iron. A few users also repaired it by inserting a small piece of business card or heavy paper under the back cover, so when the cover is screwed down it puts "pressure" on the headphone jack, completing the electrical connection with the headphone jack using mechanical means. Does that make sense? I could post a photo so you understand what I'm talking about.

Regardless, with the battery problem and now this, you obviously have a defective X3. I'd get in touch with the seller and see what they can do about a refund or replacement.

If its been too long since you originally purchased it, and you're just going to throw it away, consider giving it to (or selling it at a minimal cost) to user @rikk009, who has a bad screen in his X3. He could desolder the screen from yours and use it to repair his. You can see his post directly above your post.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #1,987 of 2,617
Did someone try to use a headphone amplifie like FiiO A5? Does it change something to the sound?

I use mine 75% of the time with a FiiO E12A Month Blanc headphone amplifier.

In the case of external amplifiers, the sound is usually colored in some way by the amplifier (if only very slightly). In my case, the MUSES02 Op Amp in the FiiO E12A adds some warmth and lushness which is very pleasing. The MUSES02 is one of the sole reasons I chose this particular amplifier. If I ever have to replace it, I will be getting the FiiO A5 for exactly same reason (ie the MUSES02 Op Amp).

Why do you ask? Are you considering getting the FiiO A5? Or do you have it already?

Nov 14, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #1,988 of 2,617
I use mine 75% of the time with a FiiO E12A Month Blanc headphone amplifier.

In the case of external amplifiers, the sound is usually colored in some way by the amplifier (if only very slightly). In my case, the MUSES02 Op Amp in the FiiO E12A adds some warmth and lushness which is very pleasing. The MUSES02 is one of the sole reasons I chose this particular amplifier. If I ever have to replace it, I will be getting the FiiO A5 for exactly same reason (ie the MUSES02 Op Amp).
Why do you ask? Are you considering getting the FiiO A5? Or do you have it already?

I don't have it, but I am interested how this combination will work. I never had an headphone amplifier and I don't know whether I will hear a difference with my Sennheiser Momentum or AKG701. I also wonder how the sansa clip will sound.

Nov 14, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #1,989 of 2,617
I don't have it, but I am interested how this combination will work. I never had an headphone amplifier and I don't know whether I will hear a difference with my Sennheiser Momentum or AKG701. I also wonder how the sansa clip will sound.

I absolutely love the FiiO E12A. It's one of the best audio purchases I've made. One of my favorite features is the gain switch and bass boost switch. Very convenient and effective. FiiO keps both of these features on the A5, and the A5 has upgraded design improvements and is significantly more powerful to boot (even though the E12A is no slouch by any means). I don't know about the A5, but the battery on the E12A lasts more than twice as long as the xduoo X3 which I am very pleased about (some amplifiers suck power and only last a few hours).

I do not have an IEM or headphone that it didn't make a positive improvement with. I don't have the AKG 701, but I do have the Sennheiser Momentum and it's a great combination. If I had 1 wish for the E12A, it would be more power for high impedance headphones. And the A5 answers that with plenty of power to drive up to 600ohm gear.

I've used the FiiO with all of my sources with excellent results - Rockboxed xduoo X3, Rockboxed Sansa Clip+, iPod Classic 5.5, iPod Touch 5G, iPod Nano 6G, and iPhone SE.

If you do get the E12A or the A5, I strongly recommend you get one of these 2 stacking cables for it. They are made by (or for) FiiO, silver plated shielded OFC conductors, and Oyaide interconnects. The cables are worth 4-5xs their ridiculously low asking price.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #1,990 of 2,617
Did someone try to use a headphone amplifie like FiiO A5? Does it change something to the sound?

I use mine 75% of the time with a FiiO E12A Month Blanc headphone amplifier

I absolutely love the FiiO E12A. It's one of the best audio purchases I've made. One of my favorite features is the gain switch and bass boost switch. Very convenient and effective.

Yes, I also have the FiiO E12A..perfect with my xDuoo.

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #1,992 of 2,617
I`ve been today to the Hifi im Hinterhof Store in Berlin. They have a huge selection of Headphones and Amps. I tried the A5 with my Sansa and the Momentum. In future I will never listen to music without it. I also tried the FiiO X7, it has also a good sound.

I wish they had stores like that near my house in the USA!

Yeah, the FiiO amps are awesome and very fair pricing for the quality, features, and sound.

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #1,993 of 2,617
Hi everyone,

The microsd that I had on my X3 broke and I bought a new one. I put in the files to install the new version of Rockbox and it works(It displays the last version of rockbox available). The only problem that I have now is that it's imposible to acces to the original software and any PC doesn't recognizes my MP3. When I try to access to it(turn on the Mp3 with the block button on and when the screen shows the letter, turn the block button off) the screen froozes and I have to reset it. Is there any way to reinstall the original software?

Nov 20, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #1,994 of 2,617
Hi everyone,

The microsd that I had on my X3 broke and I bought a new one. I put in the files to install the new version of Rockbox and it works(It displays the last version of rockbox available). The only problem that I have now is that it's imposible to acces to the original software and any PC doesn't recognizes my MP3. When I try to access to it(turn on the Mp3 with the block button on and when the screen shows the letter, turn the block button off) the screen froozes and I have to reset it. Is there any way to reinstall the original software?
Good question. As far as I know you can reflash the original firmware only if you boot into it and hit update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back