Rockbox for iPOD Video 5th 5.5th mSATA SSD MOD
May 26, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #91 of 227
So you think the 1tb card has the same thickness as the 500gb one? I can still cancel the order and get the 1tb one.

cmarti,

Samsung EVO 1TB has the same dimension as EVO 500GB, per Samsung's web page.

"Expand to show all specifications" and you will see:

500GB: PRODUCT Dimensions (W x H x D)
2.00” x 1.18” x 0.15”
http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-MTE500BW

1TB: PRODUCT Dimensions (W x H x D)
2.00” x 1.18” x 0.15
http://www.samsung.com/us/business/computing/memory-storage/MZ-MTE1T0BW

You can also ask the seller to measure dimensions of the SSDs (or look at their actual product package), if you want.

May 26, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #92 of 227
When I loaded the second one, I formated it on ny Windows7 machine, which allowed me to load the music onto the chip outside the ipod. I built the whole thing loaded with 600g in less than an hour.

dr408517
Would you please kindly elaborate how you loaded 600GB in less than an hour outside of iPod? 

How many partitions did you format the SSD with and what format is each partition? My iPod hard drive currently has two partitions: 223.45 GB as FAT32 and 125 MB as "Unallocated". See note *

Also What formatting software did you use?
I assume any mSATA to USB3 adapter will work?

* Note: My Toshiba MK2431GAH 240 GB hard drive was formatted in iPod. I then converted iPod to Rockbox and loaded music to hard drive while it was in RB'ed iPod. 

May 26, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #93 of 227
dr408517
Would you please kindly elaborate how you loaded 600GB in less than an hour outside of iPod? 

How many partitions did you format the SSD with and what format is each partition? My iPod hard drive currently has two partitions: 223.45 GB as FAT32 and 125 MB as "Unallocated". See note *

Also What formatting software did you use?
I assume any mSATA to USB3 adapter will work?

* Note: My Toshiba MK2431GAH 240 GB hard drive was formatted in iPod. I then converted iPod to Rockbox and loaded music to hard drive while it was in RB'ed iPod. 

Sure. I installed the chip straight from the box into the newly assembled ipod. I restored it in iTunes, closed Itunes and loaded RB onto the ipod. I made a folder called "music" and ejected the ipod. I took the chip out of the ipod, loaded it into my msata adapter, connected it to the computer, started it up, opened the drive where the chip resided, opened the "music" folder and loaded my files onto it. I reinstalled the chip into the ipod, booted it up and - horray - fully loaded ipod.

I did not format this chip - i let itunes restore it. Earlier loads were done 30-50g at a time while the chip was in the ipod. Very tedious.

May 27, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #96 of 227
Yes and no. Mostly i did it to see if it could be done.
biggrin.gif

I tried to do that with SD cards but the computer tried to format the card every time I moved the card from the iPod to the PC, I will do like you did once I get my Samsung chip and mSATA enclosure on Thursday... Oh that will save me so much time! Thanks for the tip!

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #99 of 227
I wish Tarken himself would join up here. I think we could all learn a lot from that guy!

Jun 10, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #101 of 227
Hi there

Thank you for your patch it's was greatly appreciated. I applied your patch of rock box to my iPod 30gb 5.5.
I installed zif to msata, m500 120gb msata card. It work great however I have found charging issues. The device discharges highly on disk read and file transfer and will not charge via usb from laptop or wall.

Will FireWire charger work better for this patch as at moment I have gone back to a different RB 3.13 and my 30gb drive till I find a fix.

Also looking on your site I see there's a dual battery mod. Would you care to expand on this and explain how I could replicate this set up if it will solve my problems.

Thank

Dan

Jun 11, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #102 of 227
Hi there

Thank you for your patch it's was greatly appreciated. I applied your patch of rock box to my iPod 30gb 5.5.
I installed zif to msata, m500 120gb msata card. It work great however I have found charging issues. The device discharges highly on disk read and file transfer and will not charge via usb from laptop or wall.

Will FireWire charger work better for this patch as at moment I have gone back to a different RB 3.13 and my 30gb drive till I find a fix.

Also looking on your site I see there's a dual battery mod. Would you care to expand on this and explain how I could replicate this set up if it will solve my problems.

Thank

Dan

You probably need a new battery. What mSata are you using?

Jun 11, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #104 of 227
I seriously doubt it. My own experiments always came back to battery quality being the key difference. Even new batteries from inferior sources dischage rapidly during the file loading.

Aug 11, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #105 of 227
Hello.

I got complete my Ipod Video SSD mod and it draw much battery than original HDD so I continued to play around with a new 3200 Mah battery (SS Galaxy Note 3), then put all of them to a wood case. The new modded IPV worked normally with patched firmware until the battery run out.
I plugged it in charger as usual. After 3 hour i checked system info>Battery capacity 's  at 23%, just suppose that may be cause of this much higher capacity battery. But 3 hour later, the capacity still stucked at 23%. So is guessed may be due to the charging aglorithm is not compatible with this high capacity battery, i went to battery setting and set the Bettery Capacity to highest value (1600 is highest on my rockbox version) but it's still not work.

Any help or advise for my trouble, Guys?.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back