Rockbox for iPOD Video 5th 5.5th mSATA SSD MOD
Mar 27, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #61 of 227
Ok, that makes sense but I never felt the iPod to get really hot anymore.

Yes, same here. Much better now with Beyondwind's RB patch.

The heat issue is much better with beyondwind's patch, no doubt. I've ordered a new adapter, just in case this is contributing to the issue. I will eventually restore the 480gb v5.5 again, but i think the battery issue is contributing, too. I ordered four 900mah thin batteries and four 850mah thick and four 1350 mah thick from Amazon. The 1350mah were crap - would not sustain a charge for more than a couple of hours with the mSata pods. i had a similar problem with the 900mah thin batteries last night with the Terapod. Lots of heat is generated and the battery discharges very quickly.

The BP4 mSata is by far the coolest running chip compared to the Crucial 240g or 480g. I've been running the BP4 for almost a month now. Heavy use requires daily charging.
The Crucial 480g heats up and discharges whenever i update the database.

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #62 of 227
The heat issue is much better with beyondwind's patch, no doubt. I've ordered a new adapter, just in case this is contributing to the issue. I will eventually restore the 480gb v5.5 again, but i think the battery issue is contributing, too. I ordered four 900mah thin batteries and four 850mah thick and four 1350 mah thick from Amazon. The 1350mah were crap - would not sustain a charge for more than a couple of hours with the mSata pods. i had a similar problem with the 900mah thin batteries last night with the Terapod. Lots of heat is generated and the battery discharges very quickly.

The BP4 mSata is by far the coolest running chip compared to the Crucial 240g or 480g. I've been running the BP4 for almost a month now. Heavy use requires daily charging.
The Crucial 480g heats up and discharges whenever i update the database.

I heard you, those third party batteries are deficient. The one I am used was removed of a brand new iPod 7th gen, friend of mine who works at BB gave it to me... I don't know how I will manage when this now 1 year old battery starts to deteriorate.

One thing, I don't do is database updates that would be too intensive.

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #63 of 227
I heard you, those third party batteries are deficient. The one I am used was removed of a brand new iPod 7th gen, friend of mine who works at BB gave it to me... I don't know how I will manage when this now 1 year old battery starts to deteriorate.

One thing, I don't do is database updates that would be too intensive.

Well, i was just loading 1.5g on a full battery and the ipod failed. Battery completely drained and now I get the sad ipod icon. Time to find a new battery supplier. I was just packing to travel next week and I was really looking forward to road testing the Terapod. Ahhhrgg

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #64 of 227
Well, i was just loading 1.5g on a full battery and the ipod failed. Battery completely drained and now I get the sad ipod icon. Time to find a new battery supplier. I was just packing to travel next week and I was really looking forward to road testing the Terapod. Ahhhrgg

I had good luck with NewerTech batteries in the past but it looks like they changed suppliers so now I don't know...

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/BIPOD4505C/

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #66 of 227
Paused my 1TB evo msata order... hoping to see some battery success here.
popcorn.gif

Apr 15, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #69 of 227
Subscribed...

May 3, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #70 of 227
I have an old ipod video 5th gen 30gb so I'm sure that it has the 32mb buffer. My question is, if I'm planning in the near future to go with the 480 msata or the 500 samsung 840 msata, would it be better to sell my ipod and get one with the 64mb logic board? Would the changes be insignificant? I can get a 60gb 5.5 gen on Craigslist pretty cheap. ($40) should I spend the loot on that one to get more speed in the menus/memory access?

-ßrandon

May 3, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #71 of 227
I have an old ipod video 5th gen 30gb so I'm sure that it has the 32mb buffer. My question is, if I'm planning in the near future to go with the 480 msata or the 500 samsung 840 msata, would it be better to sell my ipod and get one with the 64mb logic board? Would the changes be insignificant? I can get a 60gb 5.5 gen on Craigslist pretty cheap. ($40) should I spend the loot on that one to get more speed in the menus/memory access?

-ßrandon

Personally I don't think you will notice a difference, others are ok to disagree but I tested this with a 30gb 5th gen and my 5.5gen 80gb iPod and the 480gb mSATA card and only difference was that the screen is brighter on the 5.5gen iPod functionality and menu speed was the same in both iPods with RockBox.

May 4, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #72 of 227
Cmarti,
Thanks for the info, I appreciate your response, now I can't wait for dr to get some more info going on this "terapod"! Looks like I'll be following the same path if he can yield some positive results. The battery issue though, I'm curious as to how difficult it may be to attempt to use an iphone or iPod touch battery? Not sure if anyone has attempted this and not sure what kind of changes we would have to make to connectors of the battery. I'm going to spend some time later this week taking apart an old iPhone 4S I have laying around, to see if anything looks promising.

If I'm wasting my time researching the possibility of an iphone battery, anybody please feel free to chime in and inform me not to bother!

-ßrandon

May 4, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #73 of 227
Cmarti,
Thanks for the info, I appreciate your response, now I can't wait for dr to get some more info going on this "terapod"! Looks like I'll be following the same path if he can yield some positive results. The battery issue though, I'm curious as to how difficult it may be to attempt to use an iphone or iPod touch battery? Not sure if anyone has attempted this and not sure what kind of changes we would have to make to connectors of the battery. I'm going to spend some time later this week taking apart an old iPhone 4S I have laying around, to see if anything looks promising.

If I'm wasting my time researching the possibility of an iphone battery, anybody please feel free to chime in and inform me not to bother!

-ßrandon

This 850mAh battery is known to work great with mSATA iPods.

Keep in mind it's a thick battery so you will need the thick back cover.

May 5, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #74 of 227
I have seen that has been the battery of choice for the major modders on here. I stumbled upon this other day while searching for another used ipod 5.5 to mess around with. I'm gonna pick it up if I win the auction to attempt to test how long it will last after I upgrade my ipod. Anyone ever seen this battery? Advice on positives/negatives for it? I haven't gotten ahold of the seller yet to find out his source for the battery.

-ßrandon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back