Rockbox for iPOD Video 5th 5.5th mSATA SSD MOD
Mar 23, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #47 of 227
  Yes x3 I've spent 2 days on this, diagnostics says bad path?

I have an iPod with that same problem, first I thought it was a bad hard drive but the real issue was the logic board.

My suggestion is that you try another drive in the iPod and check if it still have the same issue after doing this, if you do then yeah you need a new logic board.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #52 of 227
New battery just failed (?)  There is a bit of heat on the 1T chip, but nothing close to the Crucial 480g.  Will reformat and try again.

Maybe check if your battery connection is loose or damage?
I would not be too surprised if Samsung EVO 1TB is more power efficient than the Crucial M500 480GB. Some indirect comparism suggested so.

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #53 of 227
  I have an iPod with that same problem, first I thought it was a bad hard drive but the real issue was the logic board.

My suggestion is that you try another drive in the iPod and check if it still have the same issue after doing this, if you do then yeah you need a new logic board.

I think you're right I tried another 5.5 and it works fine.  

DMinor my old 5.5 needs a new click wheel, a logic board and more memory, add new caps and a prettier face plate, Money is no problem pimp my iPod please 
atsmile.gif

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #54 of 227
  I think you're right I tried another 5.5 and it works fine.  

DMinor my old 5.5 needs a new click wheel, a logic board and more memory, add new caps and a prettier face plate, Money is no problem pimp my iPod please 
atsmile.gif

Haha, sorry to hear that. Time to get another one modded using NO caps either in ipod or in the lod cable.  You may be surprised when you plug that capless imod to a capless amp (e.g. UHA-6S.MK2).

Capless imod + capless amp = Transparency

Just make sure that amp can handle 1.5 volts of dc offsets., and that UHA-6S.MK2 can.

Mar 27, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #57 of 227
Maybe check if your battery connection is loose or damage?
I would not be too surprised if Samsung EVO 1TB is more power efficient than the Crucial M500 480GB. Some indirect comparism suggested so.
So your Crucial 480g was already damaged by previous heat?

Battery was in tight. Went thru two 900mah batteries last night trying to restore the ipod. Tonight I put in a thick 850mah, charged it for an hour, reformatted the 1T chip, and was able to restore using my XP computer. For some odd reason my Win7 system would not recognize the ipod. Go figure. Anyway, following the iTune restore on the XP, i hooked up the Terapod to my Win7 system and installled RB. I loaded about 1000 songs, noted the battery indicater was at about 1/2 full so I undocked it.

The Terapod was warm, but not too bad. I am charging it now. According to iTunes I was able to get >900gb - I think it was 936gb. I took a screen shot on my XP, but the computer is in one of those shutdown updates and I can't check it.

So - the answers to the questions "will the Samsung 1T restore on the ipod" and "can RB be loaded to it" are YES and YES. Will it be as cool and have the reliability of the BP4 is yet unknown. The power issues are still a big question mark.

Somebody really needs to address this battery issue.

Mar 27, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #59 of 227
I thought Beyondwind's RB patch has solved the heat issue, as I have not experienced the heat issue with my Crucial 480GB. I mean it could get a little warm during the file transfer, but that's normal even my CF's do that with a big chunk of file transfer.

Mar 27, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #60 of 227
Yes, transferring files. This appears to be the time when the battery drains the fastest and the heat on the Crucial chips builds up fastest.

Ok, that makes sense but I never felt the iPod to get really hot anymore.

I thought Beyondwind's RB patch has solved the heat issue, as I have not experienced the heat issue with my Crucial 480GB. I mean it could get a little warm during the file transfer, but that's normal even my CF's do that with a big chunk of file transfer.

Yes, same here. Much better now with Beyondwind's RB patch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back