Rockbox for iPOD Video 5th 5.5th mSATA SSD MOD
Aug 21, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #108 of 227
Hey guys!

Before I start, sorry for my bad english.

I've collected many songs in the last decade. Too many to be put on any mp3-player or mobile phone. But I want to be able to always choose from my entire music collection. So I searched for an alternative and the only thing with enough GB I found was the iPod Classic. Apple and I haven't got a good history together and I really didn't want to install and run iTunes on my PC. But I like the iPod Classic's screen, clickwheel and case.

And that's how I stumbled upon BeyondWind's blog here http://beyondwind.duckdns.org/?page_id=5
and decided to build such an amazing thing.

First things first: Last week I bought an used iPod Classic 5th Gen. 30GB. Works perfectly and hasn't got any huge scratches.

Well, I'm not that good at building and modding electronic things. That's why I could really use your help. :)

If you could summarize and/or explain the next or all the following steps to me, I would be soooo happy!
To start this "special mod", I need these things (please correct me if I'm wrong):

°) iPod Classic 5th or 5.5th Generation - already got that
°) mSATA SSD - like this one http://www.alternate.co.uk/Crucial/M500-mSATA-SSD-240-GB/html/product/1061751?
°) JM20330 based ZiF to mSATA adapter - like this one http://www.amazon.de/mSATA-SSD-zu-ZIF-Adapter/dp/B00CFR9YZI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1406147778&sr=8-3&keywords=zif+msata
°) patched Rockbox software by BeyondWind

Are these the right things to order? I mean, the SSD and adapter.

I think that taking the iPod apart and assembling all the new parts shouldn't be that hard, thanks to YouTube.

Before I come to an end, I have to say that I really appreciate the time and effort all of you put in those projects and I hope you keep doing the things you do! Thanks a lot! :)

Greetings from Austria (Alps, not kangaroos)!

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #109 of 227
  Hey guys!

Before I start, sorry for my bad english.

I've collected many songs in the last decade. Too many to be put on any mp3-player or mobile phone. But I want to be able to always choose from my entire music collection. So I searched for an alternative and the only thing with enough GB I found was the iPod Classic. Apple and I haven't got a good history together and I really didn't want to install and run iTunes on my PC. But I like the iPod Classic's screen, clickwheel and case.

And that's how I stumbled upon BeyondWind's blog here http://beyondwind.duckdns.org/?page_id=5
and decided to build such an amazing thing.

First things first: Last week I bought an used iPod Classic 5th Gen. 30GB. Works perfectly and hasn't got any huge scratches.

Well, I'm not that good at building and modding electronic things. That's why I could really use your help. :)

If you could summarize and/or explain the next or all the following steps to me, I would be soooo happy!
To start this "special mod", I need these things (please correct me if I'm wrong):

°) iPod Classic 5th or 5.5th Generation - already got that
°) mSATA SSD - like this one http://www.alternate.co.uk/Crucial/M500-mSATA-SSD-240-GB/html/product/1061751?
°) JM20330 based ZiF to mSATA adapter - like this one http://www.amazon.de/mSATA-SSD-zu-ZIF-Adapter/dp/B00CFR9YZI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1406147778&sr=8-3&keywords=zif+msata
°) patched Rockbox software by BeyondWind

Are these the right things to order? I mean, the SSD and adapter.

I think that taking the iPod apart and assembling all the new parts shouldn't be that hard, thanks to YouTube.

Before I come to an end, I have to say that I really appreciate the time and effort all of you put in those projects and I hope you keep doing the things you do! Thanks a lot! :)

Greetings from Austria (Alps, not kangaroos)!

Good luck man
L3000.gif

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #112 of 227
First of all, thanks for your quick responses!
So, is my project not going to work at all? Or do I simply need a new, better battery for this SSD-mod?

And 131GB out of 256GB? That's not a good deal. I would really love to see and use the whole capacity Of the 240GB SSD. :)

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #113 of 227
First of all, thanks for your quick responses!
So, is my project not going to work at all? Or do I simply need a new, better battery for this SSD-mod?

And 131GB out of 256GB? That's not a good deal. I would really love to see and use the whole capacity Of the 240GB SSD.
smily_headphones1.gif

You will be able to whole the whole 240gb mSATA card, the problem is when you use the 256gb SD card

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #117 of 227
@cmarti: I can live with 6-8hours per charge, that's not so bad. :)
Another thing: Will I be able to charge the modded iPod with a normal USB-charger or do I need a FireWire-cable? (I remember having read something like this somewhere before...)

@originalsnuffy: What do you mean with "memory limit issue"?

Thanks again guys for your prompt answers. :)

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #118 of 227
Cmarti can best clear this up. Bit as I understand it certain ipod units gave issues with something called logical block address limits and can't go above 128 gb or so with certain drive adapters. Biut I thought that the fifth gen units were not impacted by this but I may be off base. I respect cmarti as a source and defer to his input.

Aug 24, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #119 of 227
Cartier can best clear this up. Bit as I understand it certain ipod units gave issues with something called logical block address limits and can't go above 128 gb or so with certain drive adapters. Biut I thought that the fifth gen units were not impacted by this but I may be off base. I respect cmarti as a source and defer to his input.

The 5th gen iPod has no limitation as far as I know, there are some 1TB iPods out there.

What I am referring to the implementation of the SD to CF and a 256gb SD card, there is some issues when you transfer more than 131gb to the card while it's in the iPod.  But then again I tried with a 256gb Lexar card and not the PNY which I don't own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back