Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with Mango (Stock Firmware)
Jul 25, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #106 of 1,316

I understand. :) anyway, I found another problem- some album has white noise that has not with stock firm.  the album's bit rate is 24/176. only this album has noise. maybe because of its bit rate?

Quoting Rockbox manual. I think it's worth the effort reading the manual especially for those who are new to Rockbox. Click the link below to download it.

Rockbox Manual

6.12. Dithering
This setting controls the dithering and noise shaping functionality of Rockbox.
Most of Rockbox’ audio file decoders work at a higher bit depth than the 16 bits used
for output on the player’s audio connectors. The simplest way to convert from one bit
depth to another is simply discarding all the surplus bits. This is the default behaviour,
and adds distortion to the signal that will vary in character along with the desired sound.
  Dithering adds low-level noise to the signal prior to throwing away the surplus bits,
which gives the resulting signal a uniform noise floor which is independent of the sig-
nal. Most people find this noise preferable to the time-varying noise heard when not
performing dithering.
After dithering, noise shaping is performed. This basically just pushes the dithering
noise to the parts of the frequency spectrum humans cannot hear so easily. In Rockbox’
case, some of the noise is pushed up to above 10 kHz.
This setting will be put to its best use when listening to dynamic music with frequently
occuring quiet parts, classical music being a typical example. It is worth noting that the
effects of dithering and noise shaping are very subtle, and not easily noticable.
Rockbox uses highpass triangular distribution noise as the dithering noise source, and
a third order noise shaper.

Jul 25, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #108 of 1,316
RB is playing well for me, good sound and the dual boot is really nice 
smile.gif

I have an issue with the USB, I don't see the storage, internal and SD, in Linux (Fedora and latest Ubuntu) I'm getting a "was not an MTP device" error message, with windows 7 an error messages about driver installation failure and no storage also, I have to boot on the iBasso player in order to copy my albums, I'm missing a setting in RB ? (I have done a factory reset after the installation)
Thanks again for all the efforts and dedicated time to improve the DX90. 
beerchug.gif

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #109 of 1,316
  RB is playing well for me, good sound and the dual boot is really nice 
smile.gif

I have an issue with the USB, I don't see the storage, internal and SD, in Linux (Fedora and latest Ubuntu) I'm getting a "was not an MTP device" error message, with windows 7 an error messages about driver installation failure and no storage also, I have to boot on the iBasso player in order to copy my albums, I'm missing a setting in RB ? (I have done a factory reset after the installation)
Thanks again for all the efforts and dedicated time to improve the DX90. 
beerchug.gif

adb mode is enabled by default instead of mass storage. That is why the USB host (PC) don't see DX90 as a USB storage device under Rockbox. It's similar when you boot Mango and set the USB setting to "charge only" I feel this setup gets the best of both worlds. You get adb and at the same time mass storage (via Mango). Also you can transfer files to the external SD using a separate SD card drive/reader.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #110 of 1,316
lol, sooner or later Rockbox will appear on M

:)

You won't ever see Rockbox on the M. It can't take advantage of the graphical real estate. M:use is beautiful but it still needs Folder Browsing and the code still has to be a bit leaner and cleaner.

Rockbox is perfect for the DX50 and so it should be just as wonderful on the DX90.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #111 of 1,316

adb mode is enabled by default instead of mass storage. That is why the USB host (PC) don't see DX90 as a USB storage device under Rockbox. It's similar when you boot Mango and set the USB setting to "charge only" I feel this setup gets the best of both worlds. You get adb and at the same time mass storage (via Mango). Also you can transfer files to the external SD using a separate SD card drive/reader.

That fine and is good to know, thank a lot 
wink.gif

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #112 of 1,316
hi..sorry for such a newbie question..but i cant seem to install a theme with mac.the downloaded zip files cant be opened..tried with a few unzip app but to no avail.downloaded the rockbox utility tools but seem not to be much help either..is there a way getting around this?

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #114 of 1,316
Loving the Rockbox port so far, and really appreciate all the work that's gone in to make it work on the DX90!  
gs1000.gif

Just had a question about how to get external playlists working -- I can't get the M3U playlists that I've thrown on there to load the songs.  I think the problem is with how I am addressing the files.  Right now I have all the music on the microSD card, and I'm putting the playlists on there as well.  I have tried using both absolute and relative paths, but I can't seem to get either to work.  Does anyone have a sample for how to input the file paths?  Is there something special about the file system?  

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #115 of 1,316
It's relative from where the m3u is to your music.

First you create the m3u on your computer with your favourite program and save it.

Next you open the m3u in an appropriate text editor to replace the absolute path with a relative path from the intended m3u path to the music.

Original absolute path
C:\Music\Carpenters-Ultimate_Collection\101-carpenters-ticket_to_ride.mp3

Relative path if the m3u and the folder "Carpenters-Ultimate_Collection" are on the root of the sd card
.\Carpenters-Ultimate_Collection\101-carpenters-ticket_to_ride.mp3

After you replace it for all songs in your m3u, put the m3u at the root of the sd card.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #116 of 1,316
  It's relative from where the m3u is to your music.

First you create the m3u on your computer with your favourite program and save it.

Next you open the m3u in an appropriate text editor to replace the absolute path with a relative path from the intended m3u path to the music.

Original absolute path

Relative path if the m3u and the folder "Carpenters-Ultimate_Collection" are on the root of the sd card

After you replace it for all songs in your m3u, put the m3u at the root of the sd card.

Working now, thanks!  

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #117 of 1,316
  hi..sorry for such a newbie question..but i cant seem to install a theme with mac.the downloaded zip files cant be opened..tried with a few unzip app but to no avail.downloaded the rockbox utility tools but seem not to be much help either..is there a way getting around this?

Mac does not display folders/files that start with a period ('.'). 
You can use one of this method to show/hide hidden files - http://www.macosxtips.co.uk/index_files/quickly-show-hidden-files.php
or, use Filezilla.

Jul 26, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #119 of 1,316
  Is there a tutorial for adding additional fonts?  Something straightforward like Cholero's tutorial for adding themes? 

Just download the font pack and un-zip. Move the 'fonts' folder from '.rockbox' in your desktop to 'Rockbox' folder in DX90's internal memory.

Jul 26, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #120 of 1,316
I don't see it noted in the thread, but I'm seeing a large discrepancy between the battery indicator in Mango and Rockbox.  Mango thinks I'm almost out of battery.  Rockbox thinks I'm 98% full.  ???

BTW, naranjada theme is pretty nice.  Tried arc-en-ciel and redux themes, but they won't display my album art for some reason...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back