Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Nov 29, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #1,321 of 2,020
Hello cholero,

You posted a while back that the DX50 RB may not be able to get an official release. Is this still true?

Also is there any conceivable way that the DAC functionality could be implemented into RB?

Thanks for all your work by the way, been using the previous version for a month with zero issue. Keep up the great work.

Edit: Wait no i read it wrong, it was something about a UI change. Nvm that, i misread.

Nov 29, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #1,322 of 2,020
@Krasil
Ok. I think that this is not possible at the moment. With modern_ui, if the backlight is off all keypress including touchscreen are ignored. You can take the regular build you had before but then waking up with touchscreen works I think but you can't turn it off with power switch. You can use the regular build and use the option "ignore first keypress" (with modern_ui this is disabled).
Maybe I will do some tries in the future to not ignore touchscreen when backlight is off, but no promise...

Nov 29, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #1,323 of 2,020
Hello cholero,

You posted a while back that the DX50 RB may not be able to get an official release. Is this still true?

Also is there any conceivable way that the DAC functionality could be implemented into RB?

Thanks for all your work by the way, been using the previous version for a month with zero issue. Keep up the great work.

It is already official, the builds are just not downloadable. It does not make much sense at the moment because the installation is not yet official and the "vold" app is not original. The cwm way is a very handy way to install it until the installation will be official too.

The DAC I've never tried (I don't have a Microsoft OS). Maybe it could be made working. Argelerx is more experienced with android maybe he will try it, but no promise. If you take the most recent build you can switch between USB modes, maybe one works as DAC.

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #1,324 of 2,020
I have some question about the "Freq scaling governor" ? Is it just an overclock of the cpu and what are the differences between the options ?

Nov 29, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #1,325 of 2,020
Dear cholero,

Just to tell you what happened after I upgraded my DX50 with the 1.6 firmware: I downloaded your files dx50_1.6.0_cwm.zip and cwm_rb-bootloader_1_6_0_sdcard_2014-11-24.zip  and I followed your guidelines. After the flashing of the first file I directly booted the DX50 to the CWM recovery then I flashed the second file: I got then an error (due to the size of the DX50's screen I could not read it easily) and when I tried to reboot the player, then I got stuck with the starting screen of the player...

I plugged the DX50 on my computer (running windows 8.1): it could not be recognized... I thought during some time that my device was definitively bricked: I changed my computer with a notebook running windows 7 and things became better... I had to download last RockUSB drivers in order to be recognized: without the battery, pressing power and volume knobs and the same time I plugged the DX50 again and the ROCKUSB driver installed ! I could then use the RKBatch Tool 1.7 software and flash the 1.6 firmware again eventually recovering full operation of my DX50.

I admit that the previous 1.5 files worked very nicely, but I will not try again the new files you proposed... (until the problem is solved...).

Nov 29, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #1,326 of 2,020
On CPUs with a variable clock frequency a governor decides when the cpu should clock higher or lower, usually depending on the CPU's load (high=fast but power consumpting). How the different governors available on the dx50 react on the CPUs load you can read in internet.
There is no over clocking.
Rockbox even runs perfectly at lowest frequency because is is programmed very resource friendly. So it would be more interesting to under clock to save battery than to over clock.

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #1,327 of 2,020
Thanks, so the "best" choice is powersave ?

I ask because since the last update, my Dx50 seems to lose some autonomy (now 7h) (in "System > Rockbox info + Running time" ) with the previous version it indicated about 15h. I also reduce the brightness to 100/255.

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #1,328 of 2,020
really, you had 15h? 
Yes, powersave should keep the frequency locked at the lowest clock frequency -> minimum consumption. But the frequency stays maybe 95% at the lowest frequency anyway if you use interactive or ondemand governor, so you just loose the cpu speed when it could help but save almost no battery.

Nov 29, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #1,329 of 2,020
Yes with the version of 2014/09/13 i had an autonomy between 12h & 14h and now almost 7h. I don't go to 0% of the battery for test but the "system > running time" is about 4h, it remains 35% on the battery and "system > rockbox info" says 3h. Tomorrow I will try with the old version to see if my dx50 doesn't have a problem.

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #1,330 of 2,020
It is possible that the percentage and the information about the time remaining can differ on the to builds. It could be that one of the two is more inaccurate than the other. You should let the battery run flat to be sure about the running time. We will not be unhappy about a feedback :)

Nov 30, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #1,331 of 2,020
Ok I fully charge my dx50 and i empty it.

Edit : After fully load the battery, first problem Rockbox see "only" 90% charge, I use a samsung "travel adapter" 2A and Mango show "charged". And Rockbox estimate 7h.

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #1,332 of 2,020
I know this can happen, the thing with 90%. There are 2 reasons for that.
It looks like charging is not well configured by ibasso. It theoretically never stops "charging". But if you charge it when the player was powered off (and you have stock battery not Galaxy S3) it once reaches the state "full". It looked to me as this just happens because of an emergency stop parameter ibasso added. So at that "full" state, the battery is not as full as it can be. If you start rockbox it would continue to charge a bit (theoretically forever)
The 2ns reason is that ArgelErx uses a S3 battery and he optimized the discharge curve for this battery which has a slightly different curve.
So for the moment, I would say that battery and charging optimization has not yet finished with rockbox.

Edit: So you can't count on the percentage or the "running time left" at the moment, they are just calculated from parameters (I could give you a build that says 500h left...). But remember that back in june the percentage was maybe 100% - 85% then the battery was suddenly flat. The current values are need just a little optimization

Dec 1, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #1,333 of 2,020
   I got then an error (due to the size of the DX50's screen I could not read it easily) and when I tried to reboot the player, then I got stuck with the starting screen of the player...

You are the second person with a problem with 1.6.0.
I cant't tell what the problem is. Maybe it is not recommendable to use my patched 1.6.0 FW if you are a rockbox-only user. 
Until now nobody (exept me) confirmed that he has 1.6.0 working along with rockbox

Dec 1, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #1,334 of 2,020
  I have some question about the "Freq scaling governor" ? Is it just an overclock of the cpu and what are the differences between the options ?

No overclock.

Conservative: Slow cpu freq switching.

Ondemand, Interactive: Fast cpu freq switching.

Powersave: Always lowest cpu freq.

Performance: Always highest cpu freq.

Basically the governors determine how fast the cpu reacts to load changes.

Conservative is the default governor.

There is a information screen: System -> Debug (Keep Out!) -> View CPU stats. It shows current governor and min/current/max CPU frequency, among other information.

Dec 1, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #1,335 of 2,020
It is possible that the percentage and the information about the time remaining can differ on the to builds. It could be that one of the two is more inaccurate than the other. You should let the battery run flat to be sure about the running time. We will not be unhappy about a feedback :)

This.

We are still tweaking the battery parameters. Basically we tell Rockbox which battery voltage corresponds to which percentage. And we did make changes, as we good better measurments with time. There will be a iBasso specific "Battery Log" in future builds. If it is activated (Settings -> General Settings -> System -> Battery -> Battery Log) it creates a CSV text file with a battery measurements taken every minute (can also be used to check battery health). Thats what i am currently using to tweak the battery parameters for Rockbox.

iBasso states a running time of 10h with the PISON battery.

I get a runing time about 9:30h with a stock Samsung SIII battery.

The remaining running time is guestimate by Rockbox based on these parameters a some calculation magic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back