Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Nov 17, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #1,276 of 2,020
hello rockbox fans,
three posts back I was just writing about the new developer ArgelErx and one day after he published a complete code rewrite of the DX50/D90 implementation. He did mainly do code-cleanup and reorganisation. Now I decided to do a test build that the ones who like to can test it and give feedback if all  things work as they should (I guess you won't find any port related bugs :)  ).

Besides all the massive code cleanup, there are also some new features:
  1. usb image when mass storage is connected
  2. setting to change usb mode: "ADB", "charge only" and "mass storage"
  3. setting to change cpu scale governor
  4. setting for "hold": "all", "touchscreen only", "touchscreen, power + volumen"
  5. extended cpu statistics
  6. setting for the delay between backlight off and touchscreen off

There is one main problem with the build: If you want to try it, you will have to switch to the new installation method. In the future all builds will be like that or similar.
The main difference between the old and the new installation:
 oldnew
location of the rockbox app/system/rockbox/lib//mnt/sdcard/.rockbox
location of the rockbox settings/mnt/sdcard/rockbox/mnt/sdcard/.rockbox
update processflash zip in cwmextract the content of the zip to the internal drive of the player
The advantage of the new build style is that you will not need to go to cwm anymore once you have installed the new dualboot-app. Every new build can just be extracted to the internal drive. You can also do backups of the folder (program + settings).

Installation instruction for this test build

prerequisites: installed Firmware 1.5.0 with CWM by @DOC2008
  • Download the files:
     a) dualboot-app-cwm-zip (this does not contain rockbox anymore)
     b) rockbox-build-zip either
    ​               i) ArgelErx's cleanup or
                   ii) ArgelErx's cleanup + my modern_ui (sorry I made you all addicted to this mod :wink:. I used to call it "smartphone UI"
  • connect your player to the computer to have access to the internal storage
  • copy the dualboot-app-cwm-zip (cwm_rb-bootloader_sdcard_2014-10-13.zip) to the root of the internal drive of your DX50 (or where you usually put cwm-zips)
  • backup your rockbox settings: make a copy of the folder "rockbox" on your DX50 drive and rename it to "rockbox_backup" (or whatever name you like)
  • rename the folder "rockbox" to ".rockbox" (I don't know if this works well on all Operation Systems. If it does not work on your, try next step first (step 6), then copy the content of the "rockbox" folder to the ".rockbox" folder and delete "rockbox" afterwards. You may also need to enable "show hidden files" on your file browser because a folder beginning with a dot is regarded as hidden folder on may Operating Systems)
  • extract the content of the rockbox-build-zip (rockbox_2014-11-17_DX50_g1043-2.zip) to the internal drive of your DX50 (it contains a single folder ".rockbox"). Confirm every question about merging and overwriting with "yes", "overwrite" or "merge"
  • Reboot to cwm: Power off, then power on with holding vol+
  • Flash the dualboot-app-cwm-zip
  • reboot and enjoy

source code: rockbox git, patches: Major code cleanup and reorganization for iBasso DX50/DX90."Modern User Interface"

to go back to an older build, rename your backed up "rockbox-backup" folder back to "rockbox". Then flash your desired old build in cwm.

Nov 18, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #1,278 of 2,020
Been testing it out for a bit. I had some issues in the beginning where it would constantly crash and lock up, but I fixed it by doing a clean flash. I've only had one lock up, but that was pretty mild.

Nov 19, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #1,279 of 2,020
Thanks Cholero,

I find it terrific you have the time and care to respond to queries on this; it's still so impressive to me after all these years that forums show that the Human race is basically all right. 
I've done as you recommended, and all seemed OK, until I rebooted and now am stuck on the PANIC screen.
Er, can I sort this out easily do you think?
Cheers
GC

Nov 19, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #1,283 of 2,020
So try to wipe all you rockbox configuration. The easiest is to remove or rename the ".rockbox" folder and to extract again the original build(rockbox_2014-11-17_DX50_g1043-2.zip). Like that you will loose your settings but it could boot again, maybe. If it works you can try to add overwrite the config.cfg in the ".rockbox"  with the one from your backup.

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #1,285 of 2,020
hello rockbox fans,
three posts back I was just writing about the new developer ArgelErx and one day after he published a complete code rewrite of the DX50/D90 implementation. He did mainly do code-cleanup and reorganisation. Now I decided to do a test build that the ones who like to can test it and give feedback if all  things work as they should (I guess you won't find any port related bugs :)  ).

Besides all the massive code cleanup, there are also some new features:
  • usb image when mass storage is connected
  • setting to change usb mode: "ADB", "charge only" and "mass storage"
  • setting to change cpu scale governor
  • setting for "hold": "all", "touchscreen only", "touchscreen, power + volumen"
  • extended cpu statistics
  • setting for the delay between backlight off and touchscreen off

There is one main problem with the build: If you want to try it, you will have to switch to the new installation method. In the future all builds will be like that or similar.
The main difference between the old and the new installation:

oldnew
location of the rockbox app/system/rockbox/lib//mnt/sdcard/.rockbox
location of the rockbox settings/mnt/sdcard/rockbox/mnt/sdcard/.rockbox
update processflash zip in cwmextract the content of the zip to the internal drive of the player

The advantage of the new build style is that you will not need to go to cwm anymore once you have installed the new dualboot-app. Every new build can just be extracted to the internal drive. You can also do backups of the folder (program + settings).

Installation instruction for this test build

prerequisites: installed Firmware 1.5.0 with CWM by @DOC2008

1. Download the files:

a) dualboot-app-cwm-zip [COLOR=A9A9A9](this does not contain rockbox anymore)[/COLOR]

b) rockbox-build-zip either

​               i) ArgelErx's cleanup or

ii) ArgelErx's cleanup + my modern_ui [COLOR=A9A9A9](sorry I made you all addicted to this mod :wink:. I used to call it "smartphone UI"[/COLOR]
  2. connect your player to the computer to have access to the internal storage
  3. copy the dualboot-app-cwm-zip [COLOR=A9A9A9](cwm_rb-bootloader_sdcard_2014-10-13.zip)[/COLOR] to the root of the internal drive of your DX50 [COLOR=A9A9A9](or where you usually put cwm-zips)[/COLOR]
  4. backup your rockbox settings: make a copy of the folder "rockbox" on your DX50 drive and rename it to "rockbox_backup" [COLOR=A9A9A9](or whatever name you like)[/COLOR]
  5. rename the folder "rockbox" to ".rockbox" [COLOR=808080](I don't know if this works well on all Operation Systems. If it does not work on your, try next step first (step 6), then copy the content of the "rockbox" folder to the ".rockbox" folder and delete "rockbox" afterwards. You may also need to enable "show hidden files" on your file browser because a folder beginning with a dot is regarded as hidden folder on may Operating Systems)[/COLOR]

6. extract the content of the rockbox-build-zip [COLOR=A9A9A9](rockbox_2014-11-17_DX50_g1043-2.zip)[/COLOR] to the internal drive of your DX50 [COLOR=A9A9A9](it contains a single folder ".rockbox")[/COLOR]. Confirm every question about merging and overwriting with "yes", "overwrite" or "merge"
  7. Reboot to cwm: Power off, then power on with holding vol+
  8. Flash the dualboot-app-cwm-zip
  9. reboot and enjoy

source code: rockbox git, patches: [COLOR=353535]Major code cleanup and reorganization for iBasso DX50/DX90., [/COLOR][COLOR=353535]"Modern User Interface"[/COLOR]

[COLOR=353535]to go back to an older build, rename your backed up "rockbox-backup" folder back to "rockbox". Then flash your desired old build in cwm.[/COLOR]

great job mate as always..tackytiger is right installation was smooth

Nov 19, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #1,286 of 2,020
I've installed Rocking and reverted back to stock firmware at least 3 times without any issues! I can't believe how smoothly everything works. Rocking is ******* amazing!

Nov 19, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #1,287 of 2,020

I had this before on my first unit, it's a custom board that connects via a ribbon cable. You may be able to solve the problem with a piece of card between the button and switch.
No smd switches, just those sealed units with a silver dome on a custom pcb. 

Sorry for getting back to this again so late, but I've tried to open my unit and could only manage to open it from the back. 
I've tried to open the front but am afraid to break something. Right now I can only see the back of the board.
Anyone who had the front opened already with a tip how to do it? Would love to try the piece of card thing before sending it in and waiting for weeks.

Thanks.

Nov 21, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #1,289 of 2,020
Hello Cholero,
Thanks for your awesome work on the port of rockbox for the DX50.
I have a problem with the last version, the balance left/right don't work anymore, I reset the configuration but anything change, maybe you have a solution ?

Thanks.

Nov 21, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #1,290 of 2,020
Well, this time I did not do anything, it is all ArgelErx's work. 
Thanks a lot, I think that this could really be a bug, the first one.
I will have a look at that this evening.
No worries, if it is a port-related bug, we will solve it soon I guess.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back