Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
May 28, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #781 of 2,020
Ok, still can't find the music in RB. Seems it could be more intuitive. Didn't have that many problems with RB on the iRiver hXXX. 

Tried again. Obviously this works for some. Not intuitive enough for me and haven't found any directions. Also I don't see the advantage over the UI of the DX50, since to me, it is easy to use. I couldn't stand the UI of the HXXX iRiver series and the only thing for me that made it useable was RB but in this case, I don't see the advantage as I like to either just use a directory or album section and listen. 

I am trying to uninstall the RB but even that isn't clear. Not a fun experience. 

May 28, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #782 of 2,020
You have to CAREFULLY follow directions to remove.  I did it, it just takes time and careful reading.

"1) use cwm to return to stock recovery (stock_recovery.zip from package you downloaded before)"  I put the zip on an SD card, inserted that, and then followed the directions.  The hardest part was using the touch screen to get to where I could start the process.  After you get the stock recovery back in the DX, then you can put the official 1.2.8 into the root and install it.  

May 28, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #783 of 2,020
  Ok, still can't find the music in RB. Seems it could be more intuitive. Didn't have that many problems with RB on the iRiver hXXX. 

If you're just trying to find the music, it's located here:

Files -> Mnt -> external_sd

Once you locate the correct folder, it's a good idea to set it as the default file location so you don't have to navigate through the menus every time.  Simply press and hold the external_sd folder until the context menu appears, then select: "Start File Browser Here"

Once you get to this point, using Rockbox on the DX50 becomes much more intuitive. 

Forget about building a playlist. With Rockbox all you need is the file browser. 

Whatever you do, do not give up on Rockbox on the DX50 until you've heard it!  You will never, ever want to hear the DX50 without it again.. and you'll be counting the days until someone ports it to the DX90! 

May 28, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #784 of 2,020
Did that but I still can't find the music. Where is the music placed?

I just don't find this intuitive at all. I mean what is the point if you have to guess each move or ask questions all the time. I looked for an instruction manual but can't find one and navigating all of this would put most people off I would think. I just want to load the albums and play them. \

Ok, got it to work. There has to be a better way though to get to the end. I may not be the best at this stuff but I have worked on and figured out UI's that weren't so easy. Anyway, will give it a go. 

Cymbals sound real good, even on hotly recorded stuff like C.I. Williams When Alto Was King. That first cut is too hot but is well mannered right now. 

May 28, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #785 of 2,020
Does the Fiiio E12 go together good with DX50 ? Getting that soon then RSA F-35 later on...

May 28, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #786 of 2,020
  Does the Fiiio E12 go together good with DX50 ? Getting that soon then RSA F-35 later on...

the E12 DIY is very good. I would try to find one of those, not the E12. The F-35 is excellent and a great balanced amp. But this all is off topic as this is about Rock Box and the DX50. 

-------------------

Getting some great transparency with the RB. Interesting. Kind of breathes new life into the DX50. There needs to be more complete instructions though and support for higher resolutions. . 

May 29, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #787 of 2,020
OK, thanks.

So what is the SQ difference between latest stock and Rockbox for those that have used both long enough ?

May 29, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #788 of 2,020

I just don't find this intuitive at all. I mean what is the point if you have to guess each move or ask questions all the time. I looked for an instruction manual but can't find one and navigating all of this would put most people off I would think. I just want to load the albums and play them. \

Ok, got it to work. There has to be a better way though to get to the end. I may not be the best at this stuff but I have worked on and figured out UI's that weren't so easy. Anyway, will give it a go. 

Cymbals sound real good, even on hotly recorded stuff like C.I. Williams When Alto Was King. That first cut is too hot but is well mannered right now. 

Rockbox was and is never meant to replace or top a GUI like the iPods. It's about squeezing every inch of performance you can get out of a device. So it's expected that anyone needs to spend time and effort to get to know your way around the menus and submenus.

Even I have not tried most of the extra features Rocbox has to offer yet but all settings at default, it really does make a difference than a stock FW. It will show you what is lacking or extra added onthe stock FW.

The playback is smooth, no cuts at the end of each tracks. Transitions handled perfectly and playback options are a plenty. This is something iBasso can't really get right and I gave up. I don't think anyone from them understand how gapless and transition is suppose to work properly. 2.0.5 on DX90 which is suppose to address the cut still doesn't work.

A Rockbox port of DX90 is all I need.

May 29, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #789 of 2,020

Rockbox was and is never meant to replace or top a GUI like the iPods. It's about squeezing every inch of performance you can get out of a device. So it's expected that anyone needs to spend time and effort to get to know your way around the menus and submenus.

Even I have not tried most of the extra features Rocbox has to offer yet but all settings at default, it really does make a difference than a stock FW. It will show you what is lacking or extra added onthe stock FW.

The playback is smooth, no cuts at the end of each tracks. Transitions handled perfectly and playback options are a plenty. This is something iBasso can't really get right and I gave up. I don't think anyone from them understand how gapless and transition is suppose to work properly. 2.0.5 on DX90 which is suppose to address the cut still doesn't work.

A Rockbox port of DX90 is all I need.

Well I don't hear what you are with the DX90 as the end of the song and the transition to the next is pretty seamless to me. And RB could be better and could compete with the UI of iPod. With all the people that contribute to RB, there are so many possibilities. And I do hear higher resolution with RB in place. Now if somehow they can do hi res stuff. 

May 29, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #790 of 2,020
Well I don't hear what you are with the DX90 as the end of the song and the transition to the next is pretty seamless to me. And RB could be better and could compete with the UI of iPod. With all the people that contribute to RB, there are so many possibilities. And I do hear higher resolution with RB in place. Now if somehow they can do hi res stuff. 

The cut and transition is not bad for 90% of the time. But for certain albums that are truly gapless it's noticeable. The initial learning curve for the RB GUI is definitely high especially for people who are used to iPods. But when you have set everything up, you don't need to go deep into submenus. You can create shortcuts in the main menu. Or in the case of the File menu you can set it to go immediately to the /mnt/external_sd.

As for playback, I never cared for anything above 16/48. I still look for hi-res files as they are better mastered most of the time than the original CD release. But when properly down-sampled the same hires file don't sound any different than the down-sampled version at 16/48.

May 29, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #791 of 2,020
  Cool guys. I may just get one now and buy the opamp/caps upgrade kit from frugalphile trusted chip seller if he can source them...too many fake parts on ebay. The parts are listed elsewhere but total upgrade price is steep vs parts cost.
Opamp to 49710 x 2pcs
Capacitance to nichicon kw audio series x 4pcs

I like the new old stock musical flavor chip in the HiFiMAN HM-601LE but it is supposed to eat the battery fast and the unit looks 80's irony without the irony.

Would the 49710 fit in the chassis?  I think they are kind of big, but if you have a picture of a post-modified unit I'd love to see it!  I think upgrading the capacitors would be most beneficial though 
cool.gif

May 29, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #792 of 2,020
  Would the 49710 fit in the chassis?  I think they are kind of big, but if you have a picture of a post-modified unit I'd love to see it!  I think upgrading the capacitors would be most beneficial though 
cool.gif

There are a couple of modders that do it but I never posted the links so as not to promote them. They are quite expensive but this is off-topic and I should have posted in the non-RB thread...

May 29, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #793 of 2,020

There are a couple of modders that do it but I never posted the links so as not to promote them. They are quite expensive but this is off-topic and I should have posted in the non-RB thread...

True, my fault, we shall take it to PM...I do recall you mentioning it some time back anyway in a past discussion.  It's kind of a parallel if you think about it, since Rockbox is what I'd call an 'upgrade' FW, why not have 'upgraded' hardware to go along with it? 
cool.gif

tongue.gif

As for playback, I never cared for anything above 16/48. I still look for hi-res files as they are better mastered most of the time than the original CD release. But when properly down-sampled the same hires file don't sound any different than the down-sampled version at 16/48.

Agreed - even with critical listening in quiet environments, I find 16/48 quite sufficient.  Properly encoded/down-sampled anything is key!

May 29, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #794 of 2,020
Mentioning the mod was really to see if anyone has it AND this specific RockBox build...that would confirm that changing the internals does not break the RB build.

The mod is supposed to make soundstage/instrument separation better with more overall neutruality and better dynamics.....coupled with any SQ improvements in RB for DX50 it would all add up to a little gem....

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #795 of 2,020
Looks like my DX50's been acting strangely lately. When I'm walking around with the DX50 (hooked to my C5) in my pocket I sometimes (quite rare though) hear a "click"-like sound in either the right or left channel, after which channel imbalance occurs and the respective channel soon cuts off. As of now I suspect rockbox may be the problem, since I tried adjusting my cables as well as switching off and on the C5 and the problem went away after 1) Restarting the DX50. 2) The song currently playing has ended. I suspect it might be a static-related issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back