Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Apr 2, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #526 of 2,020
I've really only used CenterArt after the stock theme, and the battery meter seems to be working just fine but I haven't fully drained the battery yet so I'll have to report back if I notice anything.  It could be that the values or coding in the theme files are causing issues since most of these themes were designed for the iPod.  Other than that, I'm not sure what it could be but possibly something in the RB port itself.  I did take the latest CWM version of RB and unzipped it, put in some custom themes (including CenterArt), the font packs and a few backgrounds and re-zipped so it's ready to be installed using the current install method (https://bitbucket.org/isergachev/rockbox/wiki/Home) if anyone is interested:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_hHZnvhPk2TQ1FGNk51bDE0UHc/edit

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #527 of 2,020
i'm curious, can those reporting accurate and inaccurate readings list the batteries that they are using? I remember when I was using the stock pisen battery my readings were pretty inaccurate, but after switching to the anker one, it started getting more accurate.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #528 of 2,020
i'm curious, can those reporting accurate and inaccurate readings list the batteries that they are using? I remember when I was using the stock pisen battery my readings were pretty inaccurate, but after switching to the anker one, it started getting more accurate.

I'm using the stock Pisen battery. Reading seems inaccurate for me. Power doesn't last too.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #529 of 2,020
Stock battery here. Still draining my battery now. Currently at 91% It was 100% when I left home this morning and my current mileage is around 2 hours so far.

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #530 of 2,020

I switched to an Anker battery (2200mAh) shortly after getting the DX50 as I had purchased a pair+charger to use with my S3.  It just happened to be coincidence because I had no idea they used the same battery...lucked out when I found out!  I suppose that is another possibility for inaccurate readings, but I can say I've not had any issues with the Anker batteries so far and they're pretty inexpensive alternatives.

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #531 of 2,020
Battery seems accurate for me..I have 1genuine s3 batt and 2stock batts..I'm using centreart theme..Seems like it has the same battery life with the stock FW(16/192 flacs and some 320s) IMO..

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #533 of 2,020
I've really only used CenterArt after the stock theme, and the battery meter seems to be working just fine but I haven't fully drained the battery yet so I'll have to report back if I notice anything.  It could be that the values or coding in the theme files are causing issues since most of these themes were designed for the iPod.  Other than that, I'm not sure what it could be but possibly something in the RB port itself.  I did take the latest CWM version of RB and unzipped it, put in some custom themes (including CenterArt), the font packs and a few backgrounds and re-zipped so it's ready to be installed using the current install method (https://bitbucket.org/isergachev/rockbox/wiki/Home) if anyone is interested:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_hHZnvhPk2TQ1FGNk51bDE0UHc/edit

I don't think theme causes the problem. Most theme get the battery level using %bl tag(adding %xd tags to show as meter or bar), while %bl means battery percentage from rockbox system.
If there is wrong battery reading(in percentage), it should caused by rockbox core.

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #534 of 2,020
I don't think theme causes the problem. Most theme get the battery level using %bl tag(adding %xd tags to show as meter or bar), while %bl means battery percentage from rockbox system.
If there is wrong battery reading(in percentage), it should caused by rockbox core.

Thanks for clarifying!  Perhaps this is something that may be addressed in a future update.

Edit:  I just created an 'Issue' report over on bitbucket for battery read-out.

Edit 2: Reply: "rockbox just reads battery level via a standard way provided by linux kernel, no magic => nothing to change here"

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #535 of 2,020
Edit 2: Reply: "rockbox just reads battery level via a standard way provided by linux kernel, no magic => nothing to change here"

Yeah. It's a hardware thing. Either the hardware reports correct information or it doesn't, and if it doesn't then there's nothing that the OS kernel or player can do about it.

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #536 of 2,020
Correct. And then the DAC oversamples so that most aliasing artifacts are pushed above 20 kHz where they're inaudible, and then it uses a low pass filter at 20 kHz to cut those artifacts off. All that a 192 kHz file does is skip the oversampling step. You still get the 20 kHz low pass filter to remove high frequency artifacts. That's why nobody has bothered implementing so-called high resolution playback in Rockbox. It's just going to be cut off by the DAC. This includes the Wolfson WM8740 chip in DX50. You can read Wolfson's own spec sheet here:

http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/documents/uploads/data_sheets/en/WM8740.pdf

Citing note 2 on page 7:
2. All performance measurements done with 20kHz low pass filter. Failure to use such a filter will result in higher THD+N and lower SNR and Dynamic Range readings than are found in the Electrical Characteristics. The low pass filter removes out of band noise; although it is not audible it may affect dynamic specification values.

Forgive my lack of knowledge here, but does this mean if I'm using 16/48 (redbook audio, in lossless format of course) that I will be hearing stuff that is being exaggerated, or that I will be missing on something? I'm just looking to hear the actual product; neutral, transparent, and just the product - period. 

Sorry for the freak question. I'm just doing research into a player because I want a source that will deliver what I just stated, and before I drop a bnunch of cash I just want to be super sure. :p 

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #537 of 2,020
  Forgive my lack of knowledge here, but does this mean if I'm using 16/48 (redbook audio, in lossless format of course) that I will be hearing stuff that is being exaggerated, or that I will be missing on something? I'm just looking to hear the actual product; neutral, transparent, and just the product - period. 

Sorry for the freak question. I'm just doing research into a player because I want a source that will deliver what I just stated, and before I drop a bnunch of cash I just want to be super sure. :p 

First, redbook audio is 44.1k, not 48k.  

Second, the post you're quoting is misunderstanding the spec sheet.  When one uses an oversampling DAC, the analog low pass filter is set at maybe 1/4th the oversampled frequency, not the base frequency.  So at 44.1k and 128x oversampling, the analog filter cuts on at about 1-2MHz.  The digital filter handles lower frequencies, and that is adjusted to match the sampling rate.  In rockbox we actually do support higher sampling rates when possible, we just restrict the playback engine to 44.1k or 48k for efficiency reasons and because higher sampling rates are generally useless given how modern oversampling devices work.  

But anyway, to answer your question, if you're just listening to CD audio, there is almost no difference between most quality devices, so you can buy almost anything and the output will be similar.  If you want to use rockbox, I'd recommend the sandisk players, as they have relatively stable ports compared to the DX50. It will probably be a little while before the DX50 port is so advanced.  

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #538 of 2,020
  Rockbox effectively fix several annoying quirks in DX50. True gapless function, better/advance EQ, ruler flat response, no hint of color If you want to listen to exactly how the song was recorded, Advance/customizable display or themes.

Not to mention the UI (both touchscreen & physical buttons) responds much better.

Was the frequency response and other sound properties different in the original firmware? 

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #539 of 2,020

You're not kidding there's more detail!  My feeling has always been that we've never heard what the DX50 really sounds like becuase the firmware has been such a complete mess. I don't know whether the culprit was bad codec/sound libraries, intentional DSP processing to create some kind of custom "house" sound, or something else entirely.  Whatever the problem was, it's gone with Rockbox.  There is more detail, the bass is now tight and punchy without being boosted or exaggerrated, and the soundstage finally sounds realistic and geninue.  Perhaps the soundstage was wider with the stock firmware, but to me, it always sounded bogus and artificial (like a DSP trick).  Now everything sounds complete and acurrate.

Many thanks again to xzcc.  I feel like I'm FINALLY getting my money's worth out of the DX50. 

See, this makes me suspicious of rockbox, and makes me wonder if you're getting more detail, or just a boosted response in the higher frequencies. 

Apr 2, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #540 of 2,020

First, redbook audio is 44.1k, not 48k.  

Second, the post you're quoting is misunderstanding the spec sheet.  When one uses an oversampling DAC, the analog low pass filter is set at maybe 1/4th the oversampled frequency, not the base frequency.  So at 44.1k and 128x oversampling, the analog filter cuts on at about 1-2MHz.  The digital filter handles lower frequencies, and that is adjusted to match the sampling rate.  In rockbox we actually do support higher sampling rates when possible, we just restrict the playback engine to 44.1k or 48k for efficiency reasons and because higher sampling rates are generally useless given how modern oversampling devices work.  

But anyway, to answer your question, if you're just listening to CD audio, there is almost no difference between most quality devices, so you can buy almost anything and the output will be similar.  If you want to use rockbox, I'd recommend the sandisk players, as they have relatively stable ports compared to the DX50. It will probably be a little while before the DX50 port is so advanced.  

So, in short, does rockbox on the dx50 deliver a neutral response or...? 

I'm sorry. I'm still learning about how all this stuff works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back