Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Jun 11, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #826 of 2,020
  The only problem I have is I cannot work out how to navigate to the SD card I have inserted to the DX50 when using Rockbox, I can only see the music that is held  on the main player  itself.
This was not a problem before I installed Rockbox and is not a problem when I revert back to native lol.
Any help appreciated

The absolute path on our DX50 are
/mnt/sdcard for the internal storage and
/mnt/external_sd for the uSD card

in the context menu of each folder you can set the file browser start point. Most of us have set it to /mnt/external_sd

Jun 12, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #829 of 2,020
Hey,

im running rockbox on my dx 50 and have one issue. If the Display turns of it sometimes dont get on again pressing on/off button. I use to press it then maybe 10 in a row to turn on the display again. That really annoys me. Ist this a setting i missed to turn on or a bug?

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #830 of 2,020
Hey,

im running rockbox on my dx 50 and have one issue. If the Display turns of it sometimes dont get on again pressing on/off button. I use to press it then maybe 10 in a row to turn on the display again. That really annoys me. Ist this a setting i missed to turn on or a bug?

Try turning off the "fade in" and "fade out" option in the display settings.

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #831 of 2,020
I'm new to rock box.  I would like to install it on the dx50.  can you point me to the right direction for basic installation instructions?  I tried to follow along with the link provided in this post but it's using terms i'm not familiar with yet.  Thanks 

Jun 13, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #832 of 2,020
  I'm new to rock box.  I would like to install it on the dx50.  can you point me to the right direction for basic installation instructions?  I tried to follow along with the link provided in this post but it's using terms i'm not familiar with yet.  Thanks 

first you have to download this

open the zip.
then extract the update.img in the most outer folder of the zip into DX50's internal memory.

then go to settings->advance->system update in your DX50.
wait until installation finish.

download this
turn on your DX50, put the .zip file inside DX50.
turn off your DX50, hold volume up button, and then hold power button.
wait until it boot up.
Modified CWM Recovery menu should appear,

Scroll the screen with your finger downward to go down, scroll upward to move menu to upward, power button to select menu.
Choose install zip from sdcard(even if you put it in the internal memory of DX50 you still pick DX50)
Choose "choose zip from sdcard"
Pick the rockbox zip you placed
scroll down until you find "yes" option.
wait until installation to finish.

the mango dual boot will show up, touch right screen/tap "forward" for rockbox, touch left screen/tap "previous" to choose original firmware

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #833 of 2,020
Thanks!  Worked out perfectly.  Now my next question.  What is the easiest way to make up a playlist?  I have been trying to figure this out but I'm just not seeing it.  If there is a discussion on this on a forum already I haven't found it yet.  Either way, if your able to help me with this, that would be great.

Thanks again

Jun 19, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #834 of 2,020
  Coming from a Cowon Iaudio X5L (with RB) using Westone UM2 i recently switched to the DX50. Although the X5L was/is good, i absolutely don't regret buying the DX50. A huge step forward. After having the DX50 just for one day i already rockboxed it.
I just love it and having no issues with TB on the DX50.... almost...

When i turn the DX50 on most of the times i see a faint glow of the screen, but nog real startup. I then have to push and hold the on/off button for about 8 seconds, I hear some clicking and after that the unit comes to live. This happens almost everytime when the DX50 isn't used for several hours. When i turn the unit of and right on again, then there's no problem. On mango no problem either, even after several hours.

What could this be?

I returned to stock  firmware just to discover my device also here got the same strange behaviour. I contacted my supplier about this and sent it to the supplier. There they said it was some sort of display failure and a new device is on it's way to me.
Tomorrow the adventure begins... again...

Jun 20, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #835 of 2,020
I'm really excited about this. Used to own a d2 and a cowon x5 before switching to a dx50. I love it, except for the load times for long tracks (2 hour mixes), they take minutes to load and skip.

So what's the advantage in using rockbox? Does it sound better, or different? Is it faster to load and start? Does it use less battery?

Jun 21, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #836 of 2,020
I'm having some trouble installing new themes to rockbox. My understanding is I need to extract the contents of the .zip file to the "rockbox" folder on the DX50. I can't seem to get them to unzip though... any thoughts?

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #838 of 2,020
  What is the easiest way to make up a playlist?  I have been trying to figure this out but I'm just not seeing it.  If there is a discussion on this on a forum already I haven't found it yet.  Either way, if your able to help me with this, that would be great.

As rockbox is entirely playlist driven, there are a number of ways to create/edit these. This is something that you can read the manual to get the details about. Or you can just experiment - start playing the first file in a folder - you've created a playlist, that currently contains all the files in that folder. Navigate to a different folder, find the next song you want, long press on it, and a context menu will come up - select playlist, and you can add that song to the end of your current running playlist, or insert it as the next song, whatever. That's just one example - experiment, read the manual, have fun!

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #839 of 2,020
So what's the advantage in using rockbox? Does it sound better, or different? Is it faster to load and start? Does it use less battery?

It's a extremely customizable, full featured user interface that goes way beyond the abilities of the built in firmwares in just about every DAP. Sound quality - generally considered to be neutral, at least more so than the stock firmware in the DX50. It's got a good EQ section also, but I never use that so don't know how capable that is. Load and start time is about the same. Battery use - I don't know, I've never used the stock firmware to any extent. My guess is that it's about the same. 

It's power comes in how you can set it up to suit your particular needs. I'm a pro musician, and do a lot of record reviews, and a lot of stuff comes and goes through my player. So having full featured file management is really nice - I can move individual files from folder to folder, rename files, delete files and/or folders. I tend to listen in the car a lot, and listen to entire albums in there entirety, but don't like having to pick the next album while I'm driving, so I have it set up to go to another random folder/album when the current one ends, something that no stock firmware can do. And the bookmarking feature is really handy - if I decide to change what I'm listening to for a while, I can still go back right where I left off in the old thing after I'm done with the new one. And in case you haven't heard it yet, it does gapless playback by default, and effortlessly, without any glitches. And it handles just about any kind of file type you can throw at it. 

And it has some nice extras - like being able to choose entirely different skins, themes, or whatever you want to call them - and if you don't like any of the ones that comes with it you can customize them. And with certain units it can be voice controlled, handy for the visually impaired. 

That's just a start - see rockbox.org for more details. The one big shame about the DX50 version is that the guy who developed it hasn't gone through the official channels, despite pleading by people here to do so, so it's not an officially recognized rockbox version. Yet. 

Jun 23, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #840 of 2,020
Thank you sir.  It's tricky at first but I'm getting the hang of it.  
One more question, when I try to save the playlist I'm getting an error accessing current playlist message.  This a bug or am I missing something?  
Thanks again 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back