Rockbox for 80GB 5.5G iPod...very soon
May 25, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #47 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbrickodaviso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't get mine to work...figures.

edit: Anyone else have problems with it? Especially problems related to not being able to detect the partition?

I tried senab's build: 2007/04/30, and had this very problem, but the latest official build works fine, though the display doesn't

May 25, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #48 of 65
OK, you need to think about what is going on here. Rockbox has supported the 80 GB iPod via a patch since Monday, and it has supported the 80 GB iPod through changes to the official repository since Wednesday. A build from April 30, three weeks prior to the implementation of support for the 80 GB iPod, will not work on the 80 GB iPod. If you want to use an unsupported build on the 80 GB, obviously it will need to be one that was compiled after the support for the 80 GB was added to Rockbox.

May 25, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #49 of 65
Febs, since you are around now, could you perhaps help me on my question from a page back:
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have installed Rockbox on my 80g today, and it works great!

I have only one small problem with scrolling.

I am browsing my files using the Database ("save to ram" and "disk cache" are both enabled as well), and apart from the fact, that there's no accelerated scrolling available in the "normal" Rockbox firmware, it get's painfully slow after i scroll down some lines.

So it starts faster, and slows down after a second or so. Is this a problem with cpu usage, or do i have a wrong setting?

and please spare with me, i'm a total Rockbox noob, and have tried all the settings for Scrolling which are described in the manual. Didn't change much for me....

I'm just asking, since i really have no idea, if it is because of me making the wrong settings, or because of the developement stage of the ipod port. Just curious....

May 25, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #51 of 65
My bad, i didn't mean "disk cache" i meant already "diretory chache". i have this already turned on, and it seriously speed up the browsing, because there's no load time anymore when selecting something in the datebase.

One thing i noticed today, after playing with it a bit, was that when i don't play a file the browsing is fine, but when something is playing (only mp3 lame v2), it starts to get choppy as described.

May 25, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #52 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing i noticed today, after playing with it a bit, was that when i don't play a file the browsing is fine, but when something is playing (only mp3 lame v2), it starts to get choppy as described.

That's definitely a CPU issue.

May 25, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #53 of 65
Ok, thanks for your help. Just wanted to be sure it's not because of a wrong setting.

Otherwise Rockbox is so great
biggrin.gif
, i spend nearly the whole day fiddling with it, and i still find new features
3000smile.gif

One happy user here!

Where was that paypal donation button again......?
wink.gif

May 25, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #54 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I've read, it will never happen, much to my chagrin.

From what I have read I think you are right.
It seems like the Rockbox developers don't intend to fully support the iPod, and its file systems....
mad.gif

May 25, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #55 of 65
well... gapless playback is now part of Ipod's firmware, so what had been a major issue is now more or less solved on the new iPods. what other benefits (real or perceived) of the rockbox are there? other than supporting open source and non-DRM ware? I know these are nothing to sneeze at! just wondering what other features people would highlight.

May 25, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #56 of 65
I don't see any need for rockbox for me:

- all my files are aac or mp3
- since I have the shure e500 I don't need custom eq
- battery life is really bad on rockbox
- with my hornet I have already no hiss
- don't need drag&drop -> yamipod or something else
- the best wps themes (imo) (jclix & green5g) are not working with the newest build yet (I didn't get them working right)

I wanted rockbox only because of the custom hardware eq but since I don't need the eq, rockbox has more disadvantages for me.

May 26, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #57 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by melomaniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well... gapless playback is now part of Ipod's firmware, so what had been a major issue is now more or less solved on the new iPods. what other benefits (real or perceived) of the rockbox are there? other than supporting open source and non-DRM ware? I know these are nothing to sneeze at! just wondering what other features people would highlight.

Why Rockbox?

May 26, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #59 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakmax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does rockbox void the warrantee?
Sorry for a noob question.
I really wanna know

No, it doesn't. All you have to do is click restore on iTunes and it's like you never had it, so the warranty wouldn't be affected
tongue.gif

May 27, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #60 of 65
Battery life report.

Just completed a battery life test on my RockBox'd 80gb 5.5g. After a total of 10 hours, 40 minutes there was still 16% of charge reported, and music was still being played just fine. I stopped the test at that point, because 10 hours + is plenty enough or me, and I would never play beyond 16% charge in real life.

All music files were flac encoded, and the RockBox build was the iPod Video 64MB from 2007-05-23 21:40

I am very happy with this result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back