Rockbox for 80GB 5.5G iPod...very soon
May 21, 2007 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

LDMES

100+ Head-Fier
Just thought I'd start a new thread for those not reading the New iMod for the iPod 5G: A Red Wine Audio/ALO Collaboration thread. Here is what Febs reported in his post (#280):

Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was announced on the Rockbox developers' mailing list a few hours ago that Rockbox is running on the 80 GB iPod. They want to do some additional testing before making it publicly available, but I would expect it to be available within the next couple of days.

This is GREAT news. Hopefully the fact that they can get it to work on the larger 80GB drive will also apply to the 120GB drives that have been announced.
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif

May 21, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #2 of 65
From a moderator over at the rockbox forum:

Quote:

Originally Posted by XavierGr
Well good news on that front.

Amiconn just reported that he managed to boot Linus' iPod 80GB and play music.
Also he commented that write and reading support is almost done.

So keep in touch with the commitment log and you will see 80GB iPod support pretty soon.

May 21, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #3 of 65
YES! Hopefully that'll be working soon and I can begin ripping my CDs to FLAC, use foobar, and take a big dump on iTunes!

May 21, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 65
For those who are comfortable patching the Rockbox source code and compiling their own build of Rockbox, a patch is now available:

http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/6549?histring=5.5

I expect that this patch will be incorporated into the official version and a pre-compiled build available on the Rockbox site once we have had the opportunity to test the patch on other iPod 5G models to make sure that it doesn't break anything.

Edit: when I say "break anything," I mean "cause any unexpected behavior." Rockbox cannot physically break an iPod.

May 21, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #6 of 65
finally, tired of converting all my FLACs to ALAC. Thank you ROCKBOX!

May 21, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 65
As a bit of background, the final steps of the work that made this possible were done at "DevCon 2007," a conference of Rockbox developers that took place this past weekend in Sweden (which is where many of the core Rockbox developers are located). There is another DevCon event scheduled for the United States for June.

These conferences are a huge benefit to Rockbox and its users. They allow the developers to get to know each other better and thus cooperate better and they're great opportunities to talk through subjects and reach agreements/consensus on stuff that is really hard to do as well over the internet. And, as you can see from the fact that Rockbox will soon support the 80GB iPod, they have a direct and positive impact on Rockbox's development.

The conferences are funded in large part out of the developers' pockets, but it is the hope in the future to use donations to help to offset some of the costs of this work. If you use and enjoy Rockbox, please consider making a small donation using the "Paypal donate" button on the front page of the Rockbox web site.

May 21, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #9 of 65
This is HUGE NEWS. Febs, you and the rest of the Rockbox community deserve the thanks of all toting audiophiles for the remarkable unpaid efforts that you make on our behalf.

So suddenly an iModed 80GB Video is the new king of the portable castle! There are going to be a lot of happy people out there.

May 21, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #11 of 65
^^ i think you can dual boot to the original Apple firmware if you need video capability since Rockbox needs a plugin for video to work on the normal builds.

My H320 did the dual boot things. I dont know if the ipod can do this.

May 22, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #13 of 65
May 22, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #14 of 65
Can't wait for the release. I picked my 80gb back from service, and the hissing wasn't removed. They supplied a refurb for me to choose between, but that one turned out to be worse re: the hissing. But I remembered the 30gb and 60gb I tested were not so annoying. Really hope Rockbox will help to remove the hissing. Plus, I'm tired of iTunes lording over me.

May 22, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #15 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbrickodaviso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=7738.75

There's a post that links to a rockbox patch for the 5.5g 80gb on there. I don't really know how this works...are there any instructions I could follow and try using this?

To use the patch, you need to be able to set up your own development environment and compile your own build. Here are some links that explain how to do this:

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie...ideToCompiling
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie...ingWithPatches

Unless you have a programming background or are really committed to spending some time learning how to make this work, you're better off waiting for the patch to be incorporated into the official builds, or for someone to offer an unofficial build containing the patch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back