Rockbox for 80GB 5.5G iPod...very soon
May 24, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #31 of 65
please post how your batt. life is playing flac with a rockboxed 5.5 80gb. I know my 4th gen batt. life is complete crap while playing flac, so I'm curious as to how the 5.5gen does.

May 24, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #32 of 65
I can't get mine to work...figures.

edit: Anyone else have problems with it? Especially problems related to not being able to detect the partition?

May 24, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #33 of 65
On 80gb:
Apple firmware=hissing
Rockbox=no hissing
but I need to find a way to prevent my eyes from feeling too painful
battery also seems to be draining quickly, with all default settings.

May 24, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #35 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
please post how your batt. life is playing flac with a rockboxed 5.5 80gb. I know my 4th gen batt. life is complete crap while playing flac, so I'm curious as to how the 5.5gen does.

I agree that playing flac on 4g iMod equals crap battery life - 3 1/2- 5 hrs at best.

Played flacs about 1 hour last night on the newly RockBox'd 80gb 5.5g, and battery meter was down to 88% (not that that is an accurate indicator, but it's something - I had set the battery capacity at 850 mah, as I believe that is the stock battery for the 80gb iPod. At that rate, I might see 9 - 10 hours, but won't know until I get home from work tonight, and resume playing. If I get 8 hours I'll be happy ...

May 24, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #36 of 65
good news for those with a 5.5g eh!
shame i have a 2g nano, what an amazing platform that would be for rockbox....

...never gonna happen though...
frown.gif

May 24, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #38 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by onocentaur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't believe it. Just after I bought a 60gb iPod to replace my 80gb purely so I could use Rockbox. What a pain.

Ever heard the word 'patience'?
wink.gif

May 24, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #39 of 65
I have installed Rockbox on my 80g today, and it works great!

I have only one small problem with scrolling.

I am browsing my files using the Database ("save to ram" and "disk cache" are both enabled as well), and apart from the fact, that there's no accelerated scrolling available in the "normal" Rockbox firmware, it get's painfully slow after i scroll down some lines.

So it starts faster, and slows down after a second or so. Is this a problem with cpu usage, or do i have a wrong setting?

and please spare with me, i'm a total Rockbox noob, and have tried all the settings for Scrolling which are described in the manual. Didn't change much for me....

May 24, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #40 of 65
Does rockbox improve the SQ of a 5.5G?

I know next to nothing about rockbox. what are the advantages of using it?

I went to the website but didn't find any newbie advice...maybe I missed the FAQ??

May 25, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #41 of 65
I have installed Rockbox on my 80G 5.5 last night and played with it all day today .

I am *THRILLED* with it.

No more itunes (I hate itunes). Drag and drop baby!
Skins - love it
flac files - finally! no more converting to mp3 for me.

the battery life is pretty aweful. I haven't run it down, but the battery estimation says about 2 hours. Not so good.

Video is not so good, but it will play mpgs. I haven't played to much with this yet to be honest.

It hung on me once today while I was dorking with settings, but otherwise, so far so good. Oh - the font pack is a MUST.

GAD

May 25, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #42 of 65
I'm one of those tech dummies, so you gotta bear with me, as I've got problems with Rockbox for 80gb. How can you patch the album art and font? I just want a theme that shows bigger font (the default small font is a pain) and Asian language. Album art is of course a plus. I've tried several themes, but some don't display properly. Any advice/recommendation?

May 25, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #43 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great news for those Rockbox lovers!
I personally stay clear until (if ever) it gets HFS+ support...

From what I've read, it will never happen, much to my chagrin. The workaround is painful and I've found it buggy (half hard drive avail., etc.). Anyway, finding a windoze pc to format the thing is really the easy route since you can just use the iPod on your mac after that. No more fw updates via Apple, from your Mac.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does rockbox improve the SQ of a 5.5G?

I know next to nothing about rockbox. what are the advantages of using it?

I went to the website but didn't find any newbie advice...maybe I missed the FAQ??

Rockbox -- adds a ton of features to otherwise closed fw/os for DAPs. Does things like play FLAC (and a ton of other codecs), sw crossfeed, gapless (that older iPods don't do), skinnable, etc. etc. Here's a quick and dirty overview.

However I cannot recommend against it enough because the battery life for iPod was not acceptable. It's great and all to have an open source community working on alternatives, but I don't think they can be guiltless and free from criticism if they can be true competitors of proprietary stuff that, by and large, works.

Anyway, it's a project going in a good direction, but the battery life is a deal breaker for me and many.

May 25, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #45 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by prosound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm one of those tech dummies, so you gotta bear with me, as I've got problems with Rockbox for 80gb. How can you patch the album art and font?

If you're interested in learning how to patch Rockbox, read the links in post 15 of this thread. If you're just interested in using album art, look for a precompiled build in the Rockbox unsupported build forum, which was also linked to in post 15.

With respect to the fonts, download and extract the fonts package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back