Rockbox for 80GB 5.5G iPod...very soon
May 22, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #16 of 65
Good idea...I'll be patient
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #17 of 65
Great news for those Rockbox lovers!
I personally stay clear until (if ever) it gets HFS+ support...

May 22, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #19 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by onocentaur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't believe it. Just after I bought a 60gb iPod to replace my 80gb purely so I could use Rockbox. What a pain.

one must learn the art of patience...
wink.gif

May 23, 2007 at 11:40 AM Post #20 of 65
*sigh* well, I got rockbox working on my unsold 80gb ipod (after finally working out how to use a self-compiled bootloader - someone really should put that in the quick compiling guide). This is actually great, but now I have a 60gb ipod to sell.
rolleyes.gif

May 23, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #21 of 65
well my story is that i have own an iHP-120 for a few years, Rockboxed it, and upgraded to HP-130 when the original hdd died. went on a trip in South East Asia 3 months ago, then thought it was time to "upgrade" so bought an iPod 5.5G 80GB. larger capacity, smaller size, excellent interface, and i got a good discount, no brainer, right?

man, i was wrong. BIG TIME!!!

i couldn't believe how bad the sound was and all the preset EQs give you nothing but distortion and Apple conveniently leave out a USER CUSTOM EQ. Cheers, mate...

so i upgraded from E2 to UM2 with the hope of getting a better sound.

man, i was wrong. DOUBLE BIG TIME!!!

the better UM2 brings out even more crap from the iPod!!!

devastated. i decided to forsake the excellent iPod interface/firmware and turned to Rockbox. and.... daymnn!!! no Rockbox for 80GB yet!!

so two weeks ago i bought a 5.5G 30GB so i could Rockbox it in order to make use of the superb parametric equalizer feature.

after two weeks with the 30GB RockPod, i am still missing something. the occasional skipping while playback 320K and sluggish navigation, short battery life due to eq enabled playback, etc don't bother me as i understand Rockbox for 5.5G is not stable yet. what's bugging me is that i can never get the sound i like even though i've been adjusting the parametric equalizer.

so a few days ago i plugged the UM2 into my iHP-130 and it put a big smile on my face. the kick drum of Hanted from Evanescence's Anywhere But Home hit me in the chest as if i was listen to my main rig (i know it doesn't make sense with earphones but the effect was very close).

after discussing with a friend we concurred that it doesn't take much to cream the iPod in the sound department. it could simply be a matter of hardware.

now back to question in the title. will a 80GB RockPod sound better than a 30GB RockPod?

even bigger question is.... will any iPod (including the iMod) sound better than an iRiver HP-1X0????

thank you for reading and thx in advance for your input.

May 23, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #22 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by husitska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now back to question in the title. will a 80GB RockPod sound better than a 30GB RockPod?

Why would it?

May 23, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #24 of 65
Quote:

different (hopefully, better) hardware...?

Well, sorry to report there is no difference, other than the 64MB RAM.
wink.gif

May 23, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #27 of 65
Quote:

even bigger question is.... will any iPod (including the iMod) sound better than an iRiver HP-1X0????

I have read on the misticriver forums that the 5 & 5.5g ipods are roughly on par with the iriver h1xx series on sound quality although I have not personally heard the 5g's myself.

My experience has been with the headphone out from 4G ipod photo which was abismal, and made me cherish my iriver.

If you are using a headphone amp the imod is supposedly the best portable mp3 player on the planet (I havent heard it but its unanimous around these parts).

I personally havent upgraded from my H140 because I like its sound, the only thing that might drag me away is an imod, but you say the ipod 5.5g Rockbox is buggy and skips audio..... Im put off quite a bit by that.

May 23, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #28 of 65
Quote:

after two weeks with the 30GB RockPod, i am still missing something. the occasional skipping while playback 320K and sluggish navigation, short battery life due to eq enabled playback, etc don't bother me as i understand Rockbox for 5.5G is not stable yet. what's bugging me is that i can never get the sound i like even though i've been adjusting the parametric equalizer.

Try using the hardware EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back