ROCK Zircon + Mula IEM Impressions Thread
May 5, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #1,111 of 1,258
  Hmm. Can you get the Auvios on eBay? Amazon won't ship to me.

I ordered these yesterday:

These earphones make me grin all the time. Right here, I'm just like :D (and then they fall out of my ears lol).

I probably have 9-10 pair of large Auvio's Wrx, if you want to pm me a mailing address in Croatia I could throw a pair into a regular letter envelope and send you a pair
beerchug.gif
Hopefully a letter envelope would not be like sending a package!

May 5, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #1,112 of 1,258
  Where did you find those if I may ask? 

The Zircon and I don't click yet. Although at the time when I did get a good fit I got good sound but pushing it a bit too far give me almost no sound at all. Bit finicky fit for my liking but I might give it another try. 

Keep in mind the angled nozzles as well. If you put them straight in sideways the nozzles should be in a good position already. Remember these work best with a shallow insertion when using the stock tips.

May 5, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #1,113 of 1,258
  Keep in mind the angled nozzles as well. If you put them straight in sideways the nozzles should be in a good position already. Remember these work best with a shallow insertion when using the stock tips.

That could be reason why it takes some practice to insert them properly I suppose. Stock tips are really something special though, I use them also on other inears. Also tried the red velvet tips that came with my Tingo FL800. It really brings out the voices at the expense of heavy bass. 

May 7, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #1,114 of 1,258
I've been trying to drive the Zircons with various sources & amps I've had around the house, and I have to say: man are they picky. Didn't think having 16 ohm impedance would be such a big deal but it turns out that the output impedance on a lot of devices is simply too high to deliver tight, controlled bass on these headphones and instead what you get is a muddled mess that sounds out of time with the rest of the song.

I tried two smartphones, LG L5 E610, and an Xperia M C1905 - both of the headphone outs fail spectacularly. Bass is all over the place, sounds like its playing on its own, high frequencies are not that great either.

Tried Toshiba Satellite C660 headphone output - two settings, headphone / line out. "Line out" seems to cut all the bass below 100 Hz, there is virtually none. "Headphone" setting makes bass sound about 5 dB louder than normal on the Zircons and sounds muddy as all hell, and totally uncontrolled.

I also tried two stereo receivers, the Yamaha Rx-396 and the Sony TA F-100 which were no good either, though not as bad as the smartphones.

The only DAC / amp that I have, capable of driving them correctly are the rear jacks on the motherboard of my desktop PC, using the top-notch Realtek ALC889 codec which measure really well for an onboard chip: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/high-end-pc-audio,review-32894-6.html
Odd thing here is that they quote the ALC889 as having an output impedance of 77 Ohms - I have no idea how they got that measurement as that would definitely not sound right with these. I'm only assuming that they assigned the jacks to the "Headphone" setting instead of "Line out", which for some reason completely cuts out the bass and boosts the highs by 12 dB on all headphones I own, which sounds totally wrong and is more likely to have an output impedance of 77 Ohm. The codec manual also lists something that entirely conflicts the reality:
Output Impedance
Amplified Output                  2
Non-Amplified Output           200

Since the "Headphone" mode presumably activates the amp, it should sound a lot better on these headphones, yet it doesn't. It sounds totally wrong.
In the end, only the "Line out" setting - from the rear jack, mind you, not the front one - sounds correct.

I can only hope that the Xperia Z3 can drive them as well as the ALC889. It's very frustrating being unable to find exact specifications for the audio outputs of pretty much any phone - it's a wild guess. It is hard enough to find for dedicated audio codecs, and on most smartphones the audio seems to be an afterthought. Though it's very easy to hear if the impedance is high the very moment you play a bass-heavy song, if the bass sounds lagging, heavy, uncontrolled, it's probably higher than the minimum 2 ohms.

May 15, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #1,115 of 1,258
I just received my Rock Zircons from Gearbest and my initial impressions are not good.  I will say that they are very clear at every frequency, but the upper midrange frequencies are overpowering which makes them a bit abrasive and fatiguing to listing to.  I've tried them on my laptop, phone and Denon receiver.  I will let them break in for a few hours to see if things get better. At this point I'm regretting my purchase.

May 15, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #1,116 of 1,258
  I just received my Rock Zircons from Gearbest and my initial impressions are not good.  I will say that they are very clear at every frequency, but the upper midrange frequencies are overpowering which makes them a bit abrasive and fatiguing to listing to.  I've tried them on my laptop, phone and Denon receiver.  I will let them break in for a few hours to see if things get better. At this point I'm regretting my purchase.

Do you have any other tips you can try? Can make a big difference to the sound.

May 15, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #1,117 of 1,258

Zircon low end is strong.  Seems like something is wrong.  My pair doesn't like being fully plugged into an adapter when I use a 1/4" amp, and it sounds like half the bass is missing.  Try plugging them in most but not all the way.  Just an idea.

May 16, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #1,118 of 1,258
Maybe there is something wrong, I will keep playing with them.  Like when I listen to "Home" by Roger Waters (Radio K.A.O.S album), the vocals are a bit too "forward" and overpowering.  I'll try some different tips to see if that helps.

May 26, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #1,120 of 1,258

What I found is you really need to use a super-clean low impedance source with these to get the maximum out of them. The bass definition is particularly bad when plugged into a bad source, the difference in the bass quality goes from a bloated, muddy mess to "screw yeah, BOOM!".
I have a Yamaha receiver, they sound disastrous on the headphone out there. I don't think these receivers are very well geared for 16 ohm HPs.
They are very picky, it is what it is. Even sound crap on my smartphone.
I'd want something like an ODAC to be sure these sounds as good as they can, not kidding. If you can't find a source with legit <2 Ohm impedance then they're probably not going to sound good.

On a side note, the more I listen to these the less I feel like "Zircons bass is very strong" and more like "Other headphone bass is very weak"
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #1,122 of 1,258
  How are these compared to the TTpod T1e? 
I read one review where it said TTpods are a bit better, i wonder how can the Zircon be any good if the TTpods are one of the worst IEMS i ever heard.

It's all subjective. If the Zircon has it's own thread surely can't be too bad.. Don't use mine often these days but they have a special place in my collection.

May 27, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #1,123 of 1,258
  It's all subjective. If the Zircon has it's own thread surely can't be too bad.. Don't use mine often these days but they have a special place in my collection.

Indeed Crabd, good source signal, great media file and the right tips for seal (Auvio's in my case) and the Zircon's can sound well above their price tag not to mention great build quality and aesthetics, They looks like little pods out of a scy-fi space movie
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

May 27, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #1,125 of 1,258
ttpod t1e vs rock zircon is kinda subjective. There are many people who loves ttpod and many hates. but if you are habituated with ttpod offerings u wont pick any thing. i use it over my ie80 for everyday use that doesnt mean ie80 is a par down. I like the ttpod t1e as they are cheap, well sounded, not too bassy, good soundstage with separation and imaging. So i avoid ie80 for keeping it safe from my raugh usage.

i owned a zircon (i sold it though) zircon has more bass and tightness than ttpod has. but mid the less engaging then ttpod. and high in zircon will get 18 where ttpod will get 20. ttpod creates more isolation than zircon does. after all these all are my personal opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back