Rock headphones
Mar 15, 2011 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

ashleyJohnson

New Head-Fier
Right basicly i need a pair of headphones that are good for rock/metal, im looking for amazing sound quakity, these are for and ipod touch and i am willing to spend around $160 can any of you guys help please

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 31
Hi,

It will depend on what some of your other requirements are. If sound isolation in or out isn't an issue I think the Grado SR-225i are excellent for rock. If a closed headphone is what you need because you need the isolation then the Shure 840 is a very nice headphone. If an IEM is what your after the HiFi Man RE0 sound great for the money.

There are others that will chime in but I believe the above are more than a good start. I own two of the one's I've mentioned and owned many Grados in the past. Good luck.

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 31
is not always a good idea to mod them that much, specially if you dont have the experience, i have some little bit soldering and recabling but i wouldnt dare to perform some of the mods is bill's thread, mostly if that headphone were my only one!

Grado SR80i or AKG K240S.

and if you want closed and are lucky enough you can find some Sennheiser HD25 in the for sale forums for that price or a bit less ( i did! )
Actually i think there is a version of the HD25 at that price, without the extra earpads and the bag, which you wont really need.

and BTW, welcome.

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 31

Quote:
Dont bother with the 225s - get yourself a pair of SR60i, read bilavideo's mod thread and strap yourself in for a helluva ride, friend.

Or the SR80i which I am doing.
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 31
hey guys cheers for the suggestions, just like to add that if theres anything under $160 for still decent sound quality can you let me know, i dont want audophile quality just good quality that will mean i can enjoy the msuic as much as possible, also, will they sounds great in my ipod? becuase i dont want to spend all that money (im a student) and not get the best quality from an ipod, thanks again guys :)

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #7 of 31

Quote:
hey guys cheers for the suggestions, just like to add that if theres anything under $160 for still decent sound quality can you let me know, i dont want audophile quality just good quality that will mean i can enjoy the msuic as much as possible, also, will they sounds great in my ipod? becuase i dont want to spend all that money (im a student) and not get the best quality from an ipod, thanks again guys :)

Yeah the Grado SR60i/SR80i will run on an iPod just fine, but it's an open headphone so sound leaks in and out so it's not ideal for portable use. The Audio-Technica ATH-M50 would be better for portable use since it's closed and it's still under $160. It's also highly regarded on here.

Mar 16, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #12 of 31
Anytime you are outdoors, I would recommend IEMs.

However the Grado recommendations are good advice.  Given that you want to go straight from an portable source and your genre preference make them ideal.

I love my Alessandro MS1 (much more than my SR60).  It's got the great Grado signature but I think the bass is better than it's Grado models if similar price and it's much less fatiguing on longer listening sessions.  I do recommend removal of the screens and quarter modding the pads.   

Mar 17, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #13 of 31
Try M50s.They're closed so no worries about sound leakage. It's a nice Jack of all Trades-phone with a bit bass for under $160. I'm sure it'll do more than a decent job for rock and metal.

Mar 17, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #14 of 31

Quote:

Grado SR80i or AKG K240S.

and if you want closed and are lucky enough you can find some Sennheiser HD25 in the for sale forums for that price or a bit less ( i did! )
Actually i think there is a version of the HD25 at that price, without the extra earpads and the bag, which you wont really need.

and BTW, welcome.

^
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back