Rock for ~$100
Aug 3, 2010 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tank

New Head-Fier
Long time reader, first time poster.

I'm a big gamer (PC 4 Life) and music lover so i picked myself up a set of ath-ad700s
Long story short, love them for gaming in first person shooters cuz of the soundstage (it's like hacking how well i can locate people by footsteps), and love them for jazz and classical.

Sadly though, the ad700s leave me feeling emotionally empty when it comes to rock music and big explosions. I need a second set of cans to listen to when I want to get PUMPED. I'm looking to spend ~$100 for some quality unamped (currently run an x-fi xtreme gamer) headphones that can ROCK (from system of a down to zep to radiohead).

Looking primarily at the ath-m50 and the sr80i sets (leaning towards the m50) but open to suggestions. What's your vote?

P.S. Love this community, but do you guys know of a similar community for hifi larger than a headset (i.e. speakers, receivers)?

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #2 of 13
Get the SR60i or SR80i - I can't think of a better headphone for rock in this price range. I have not heard the m50, but it is usually recommended for bassheads, probably not what you are looking for. Get the Grados, you won't regret it.

If you have some additional money to spend, I'd strongly suggest getting a better soundcard with a decent headphone out, or one of the affordable DAC/Amp combos. I have the same x-fi. Honestly, even with headphones that are easy to drive, it sounds awful. I'm not much of a gamer, so this is not a major concern for me, but I'd never use it for listening to music.

By the way - welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet.
smile_phones.gif

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 13
Yeah... I've been looking at getting the Musiland Monitor 02 US when I get a little more cash unless there are better suggestions. The reason i was gonna get another set of cans first was listening to my buddy's grado sr 125's next to my ad700's and feeling the loss of soul.

Unfortunately, being a college student.... spending much more than $100 on headphones at the moment means I have to eat ramen for the next two months.... It's good, but man can not live on beer and ramen alone...

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #4 of 13
If rock music is the primary reason for wanting a new set of cans, get grados.  If you want more bass in your explosions, go with the M50's.

I lived on ramen for a decent amount of time during my college years.  However, I usually added some vegetables and home made dumplings from mom to it :D

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
The reason i was gonna get another set of cans first was listening to my buddy's grado sr 125's next to my ad700's and feeling the loss of soul.

If you like the SR125, you can't go wrong with the SR60 or SR80. The only concern about them is the questionable wearing comfort...

About the DAC/Amp combo, you don't have to buy one right away. Get the headphones first, and if you like them, you can think about the source and amp.
If you have a decent portable audio player, I'd suggest using it instead of the x-fi in your computer for listening to music. It will most likely sound better.

Aug 3, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #6 of 13
I'd definitely go with something in the Grado lineup. SR60i, SR80i, or Alessandro MS1i. They have a very aggressive/engaging presentation which perfectly suits rock. My SR60i had a little too much treble energy for my liking but very good nonetheless. They are also easy to drive so don't worry about an amp/dac just yet. It's probably the best value in its price range. The main reason I sold them was comfort. They are the most uncomfortable cans I've owned, though it comfort seems to vary from person to person. They do leak a lot though so that may not be the best option if you have roommates.

Aug 3, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 13
OOOOooooOOOO just reading reviews for the Alessandro MS1i and they seem like the way to go for $100 grados... might need new "donut" ear cups I am reading though no matter what grado can i get....

is this the site to order from?
http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html
I was hoping a place I knew (like Amazon) had them but this is all I'm finding....

Aug 3, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
OOOOooooOOOO just reading reviews for the Alessandro MS1i and they seem like the way to go for $100 grados... might need new "donut" ear cups I am reading though no matter what grado can i get....

is this the site to order from?
I was hoping a place I knew (like Amazon) had them but this is all I'm finding....

You can only buy them from Alessandro, you will love them. They were perfect for me, even with the comfies.

Aug 3, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #9 of 13
Ok... gonna order the Alessandro Music Series One today....
someone just tell me... what's the difference between the original and 2009 versions of these cans? (says there are 2 versions when ordering) 

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #10 of 13
Aug 4, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #11 of 13
The AD700 does sound woefully thin for rock and metal. Indeed, the Alessandro MS1i (the one I own now) will have the crunch you're looking for. The 2009 "i" version has cups that protrude a bit longer, essentially the mushroom design from the SR325/MS2. The differences from the original are nearly unnoticeable, but I did find that the MS1i had a smidge more bass.

Aug 4, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
The AD700 does sound woefully thin for rock and metal. Indeed, the Alessandro MS1i (the one I own now) will have the crunch you're looking for. The 2009 "i" version has cups that protrude a bit longer, essentially the mushroom design from the SR325/MS2. The differences from the original are nearly unnoticeable, but I did find that the MS1i had a smidge more bass.

Glad to hear it! I ordered them yesterday and am already considering turning them into MS1000's... after a good amount of listening of course! 

Aug 5, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #13 of 13
For rock music headphones and around the $100 price range, you should try the M-Audio Studiophile Q40.

Search the Head-Fi forums for the ATH-M50 versus Q40 threads.

Some Head-Fi forum members praise the Q40 and say the Q40 are better headphones compared to the ATH-M50, especially on the bass aspects.

I have to agree, based on my own personal listening comparisons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back