RME ADI-2 Pro - DAC, Headamp, an a lot of more stunning features
Dec 6, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #107 of 594
I was concerned that my iFi Pro iCan amp wasn't resolving enough with my Focal Elears for classical/jazz music...so I tried them with the ADI-2 Pro AE (as a DAC and amp)... Noticeably more detail and resolution with that combination. (I did also add a Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable to the mix.) Plus, I could adjust the ADI-2 Pro's five-band equalizer by steps of 0.5 dB to change the sound through the Elears.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #109 of 594
I received my unit yesterday.
Internals were changed very slightly. A blind was added for better casting of light and some chrome parts were replaced for gold. Technically same performance.

The device is an absolute looker. Seriously the most beautiful DAC I have ever seen.
When it's shut off, the red power ring glows lightly but very saturated. Matches my all black TV with red standby light.
When turned on, power and volume glow in white, as does one of the volume displays. Looking from the front, it looks like something out of the Death Star directly.
The print on top of the acrylic glass doesn't really draw attention as it's very subtle. I think the cursive font works well with the warm and soothing light the device casts on the inside. But, you be the judge.

Sweet in deed. I was able to snatch an AE a couple of days ago. Now, one question: what Y adaptor is that? That is, what's the brand? Or is it DIY? I have a Sennheiser H800S with a balanced cable (XLR) and I'll need that type of adaptor. Found a Sommer, but not sure about quality, not sure it's in the same league as Mogami and such.

Cheers

Dec 10, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #113 of 594
Just 4 more days, glad I held out on my decision to purchase the ADI-2.

I was also poised to buy an ADI-2 but probably still will. My guess is it may be completely unrelated to ADI-2, guys on Gearslutz are speculating it could be some pro-networked-audio related interface but I guess no-one knows. In any case makes sense to wait a few days at least I guess....

Dec 10, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #114 of 594
Dec 14, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #116 of 594
Presenting the RME ADI-2 DAC.
https://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/adi_2-dac.php

products_adi-2_dac_1b.jpg

I really hope it's an improvement of the already rock solid ADI-2 Pro.

Improvements:
1. SteadyClock FS with femtosecond accuracy.
2. Dedicated IEM output that absolutely kills all noise - even from super sensitive IEMs like Andromeda.
3. Remote control.
4. Huge price cut!

Drawbacks:
1. No more analogue-to-digital conversion.
2. No more balanced head-amp via adapter.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #117 of 594
Wow. This should appeal A LOT to IEM fans. I would probably be just fine with this model, but the AE edition simply looks soooooo good... :)

Dec 14, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #119 of 594
Looks great..... Some questions....

1. No mention of the DAC chip, can we therefore assume it is the same 2 x AKM AK4490? (I've no reason to think different, just wondering).

2. Price, and when it will likely be available (for me in the UK)...

3. Personally I would use as a DAC/Pre with speakers, not headphones, so the lack of balanced doesn't affect me. But am wondering if there has been any change to the whole internal routing. For example I liked the idea on the ADI-2 Pro of running a crossover internally using the PEQ on the rear 1/2 XLR outputs to main speakers, and the front 3/4 ones to subwoofer. I wonder if you would still be able to do that....

The manual is now there to download.... going to need to do some long reading tonight!
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2dac_e.pdf

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #120 of 594
Looks great..... Some questions....

Personally I would use as a DAC/Pre with speakers, not headphones, so the lack of balanced doesn't affect me. But am wondering if there has been any change to the whole internal routing. For example I liked the idea on the ADI-2 Pro of running a crossover internally using the PEQ on the rear 1/2 XLR outputs to main speakers, and the front 3/4 ones to subwoofer. I wonder if you would still be able to do that....

I was wondering that as well, would love to pair them with my monitors. Hope RME replaced the AKM's as well, they are very nice, but there are better alternatives imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back