RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jan 26, 2024 at 8:05 PM Post #5,881 of 6,038
Are you using the same amp? Does that amp have both single and balanced. Did you turn auto select off?
Yup same amp, an AUNE S17 Pro. I already checked every connection, everything is wired and plugged properly. Using a different outlet seems to have fixed the problem, so maybe it’s my home’s wiring that’s at fault here.

Still, it’s somewhat surprising to me that using the unit’s balanced output seems to draw more power from my wall than using the SE output. I’m tempted to use a multimeter between the outlet and the power supply and make a few tests here lol

Jan 27, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #5,883 of 6,038
Yup same amp, an AUNE S17 Pro. I already checked every connection, everything is wired and plugged properly. Using a different outlet seems to have fixed the problem, so maybe it’s my home’s wiring that’s at fault here.

Still, it’s somewhat surprising to me that using the unit’s balanced output seems to draw more power from my wall than using the SE output. I’m tempted to use a multimeter between the outlet and the power supply and make a few tests here lol
Highly unlikely that the fault is in your home wiring in this case. The behavior does sound like some connection issue that got fixed while you switched outlets and whatnot. If the issue comes back, can you try the RCA connection again to see if that fixes it?

How are you determining the power draw from the wall? Cheap meters that plug into the outlet are not reliable with small switching loads like this.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 3:22 AM Post #5,884 of 6,038
I am a new owner of the ADI-2 DAC FS and have been enjoying it. I'm experiencing an odd issue that I wonder if others have experienced / can explain.

Equipment:
I have the RME ADI-2 DAC FS connected to an Ayre Acoustics VX-5 Twenty amp. Ayre equipment is well known for being Fully Differentially Balanced.

Operating State:
  • RME ADI-2 DAC FS is turned "OFF", and connected to the Ayre Acoustics VX-5 Twenty amp via XLR connections.
  • Ayre Acoustics VX-5 Twenty amp is turned "ON"
Issue:

In this condition, there is a very noticeable "HUM" thru the speakers. It's pronounced enough that it gives the impression of "Something is wrong... make that stop right now". When the RME ADI-2 FS is turned back "ON", with the Ayre Acoustics VX-5 Twenty still "ON", the HUM goes away. I also have an Ayre Acoustics KX-5 Twenty Preamp. If it's connected in the same manner (Preamp OFF, connected via Balanced connections to amp ON) there is no HUM.

Ignoring the fact of the RME being OFF and the amp being ON and whether or not there is a reason for that... why does this HUM issue exist with the RME ADI-2 DAC FS and not with other equipment?

I've tried searching for an answer and haven't found it. So far, the answer I've received from Matthias of RME on the RME User forum has been "incomplete".

Thank you.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 4:52 AM Post #5,886 of 6,038
I am a new owner of the ADI-2 DAC FS and have been enjoying it. I'm experiencing an odd issue that I wonder if others have experienced / can explain.

Equipment:
I have the RME ADI-2 DAC FS connected to an Ayre Acoustics VX-5 Twenty amp. Ayre equipment is well known for being Fully Differentially Balanced.

Operating State:
  • RME ADI-2 DAC FS is turned "OFF", and connected to the Ayre Acoustics VX-5 Twenty amp via XLR connections.
Issue:

In this condition, there is a very noticeable "HUM" thru the speakers. It's pronounced enough that it gives the impression of "Something is wrong... make that stop right now". When the RME ADI-2 FS is turned back "ON", with the Ayre Acoustics VX-5 Twenty still "ON", the HUM goes away. I also have an Ayre Acoustics KX-5 Twenty Preamp. If it's connected in the same manner (Preamp OFF, connected via Balanced connections to amp ON) there is no HUM.

Ignoring the fact of the RME being OFF and the amp being ON and whether or not there is a reason for that... why does this HUM issue exist with the RME ADI-2 DAC FS and not with other equipment?

I've tried searching for an answer and haven't found it. So far, the answer I've received from Matthias of RME on the RME User forum has been "incomplete".

Thank you.
Ground loop?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)?wprov=sfla1

Feb 2, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #5,887 of 6,038
Is it possible to connect the DAC on two PCs, maybe with a switch or something and decide which one to use every time?
A USB switch would do it, or use a different input for the second PC (if it offers optical/coax output) and use the switch on the front of the ADI-2.

Feb 2, 2024 at 5:12 AM Post #5,888 of 6,038

Equipment:

Operating State:
Issue:

Thank you.
In the past I had completely solved it with this:

https://ifi-audio.com/products/gnd-defender/

connect it to your amplifier and the noise disappears

Feb 2, 2024 at 5:26 AM Post #5,889 of 6,038
In the past I had completely solved it with this:

https://ifi-audio.com/products/gnd-defender/

connect it to your amplifier and the noise disappears
Thanks for sharing that. I'll check it out.

It does seem like there is some sort of ground loop issue going on.

====================

I'm also going to reach out to the guys at Ayre and see what they think may be happening.

Thank you.

Feb 2, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #5,890 of 6,038
1. I would remove all connections points to the RME, with the exception of XLRs to your amp and test again.
2. RME does not have a ground point, so with it powered off I'm assuming some return signal cannot find a path to ground.
3. I wonder if you installed one RCA patch cord between the RME and the power amp if that would change anything (I doubt it, but I would try it).

Keep us posted if you find anything that helps. A very interesting problem to solve.

PS: if it was me, I would try one additional test as one of my RME's is battery powered, I would try that combo to see what the results would be. :)

Feb 2, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #5,891 of 6,038
1. I would remove all connections points to the RME, with the exception of XLRs to your amp and test again.
2. RME does not have a ground point, so with it powered off I'm assuming some return signal cannot find a path to ground.
3. I wonder if you installed one RCA patch cord between the RME and the power amp if that would change anything (I doubt it, but I would try it).

Keep us posted if you find anything that helps. A very interesting problem to solve.

PS: if it was me, I would try one additional test as one of my RME's is battery powered, I would try that combo to see what the results would be. :)
Thanks for suggesting that. Yeah, since you can't run the Remote App any other way, I have a long USB plugged into the unit and am feeding audio signal via COAX from a Bluesound Node. I'd prefer to be running USB in for audio, but I'm playing with the Remote App. When I've turned off the RME, the long USB was still plugged into the RME and not into my MacBook. I'll try just unplugging that USB, and also try running Node --> RME via USB. Whatever the case, something is doing it and it would be interesting to figure out the cause. I had no real "need" to turn the RME off... I normally leave all of my stuff on. I think it was because the display panel was all lit up and I didn't want it to sit like that for a long period of time (whether that matters or not, I just turned it off). I didn't have the "auto dark" setting turned on. When I turned it off is when I heard the hum for the first time... "something is wrong" hum.

I have dual SVS SB16-Ultra subs. The SVS app for adjusting the subs is REALLY good... and it connects to the subs via Bluetooth. I can toggle between subs inside the app. RME needs to implement a bluetooth interface for control of their RME Remote app. They did a nice job with the app but have missed it on the connectivity part. As this unit is aimed at "Home HiFi", I'd suggest they consider how people will actually be using it.

RME is working on a linear power supply, but Matthias says "there is no sonic benefit". 🤷‍♂️ It's good they are up front about that... but why bother putting development into it? I shared Schiit's view on that topic... of using a linear power supply into a unit that has another switcher inside of it (that it was pointless) and that Schiit would not make / sell something like that. I asked RME directly about it, for their views on the matter. The question was overlooked and / or ignored.

In the RME User Forum, there has been no mention along the lines of "the linear power supply will resolve your hum issue". The response from Matthias was "what sense does it make to have the RME "OFF" and the amp "ON" (besides the point / a point not in dispute) and that the ground is not connected when the unit is "OFF". I guess everything inside the RME units is microprocessor controlled... I hear a relay inside the unit click "ON / OFF" when the unit is turned ON / OFF.

By the way, what did you use for battery power option? I saw that referenced in the manual. It would be interesting if I had a battery setup and if that alone resolved the issue. I would certainly be more inclined to try battery power before any linear power supply option (although, if I had one here, I would still try plugging a linear supply in to see whether that resolved the issue, just because...).

Thank you.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #5,892 of 6,038
Highly unlikely that the fault is in your home wiring in this case. The behavior does sound like some connection issue that got fixed while you switched outlets and whatnot. If the issue comes back, can you try the RCA connection again to see if that fixes it?

How are you determining the power draw from the wall? Cheap meters that plug into the outlet are not reliable with small switching loads like this.
When I go back to the previous outlet, the problem comes back. If I’m on the previous outlet with RCA, I don’t have this issue. I’ll just stick with the different outlet since that seems to fix the problem.

Feb 2, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #5,893 of 6,038
Thanks for suggesting that. Yeah, since you can't run the Remote App any other way, I have a long USB plugged into the unit and am feeding audio signal via COAX from a Bluesound Node. I'd prefer to be running USB in for audio, but I'm playing with the Remote App. When I've turned off the RME, the long USB was still plugged into the RME and not into my MacBook. I'll try just unplugging that USB, and also try running Node --> RME via USB. Whatever the case, something is doing it and it would be interesting to figure out the cause. I had no real "need" to turn the RME off... I normally leave all of my stuff on. I think it was because the display panel was all lit up and I didn't want it to sit like that for a long period of time (whether that matters or not, I just turned it off). I didn't have the "auto dark" setting turned on. When I turned it off is when I heard the hum for the first time... "something is wrong" hum.

I have dual SVS SB16-Ultra subs. The SVS app for adjusting the subs is REALLY good... and it connects to the subs via Bluetooth. I can toggle between subs inside the app. RME needs to implement a bluetooth interface for control of their RME Remote app. They did a nice job with the app but have missed it on the connectivity part. As this unit is aimed at "Home HiFi", I'd suggest they consider how people will actually be using it.

RME is working on a linear power supply, but Matthias says "there is no sonic benefit". 🤷‍♂️ It's good they are up front about that... but why bother putting development into it? I shared Schiit's view on that topic... of using a linear power supply into a unit that has another switcher inside of it (that it was pointless) and that Schiit would not make / sell something like that. I asked RME directly about it, for their views on the matter. The question was overlooked and / or ignored.

In the RME User Forum, there has been no mention along the lines of "the linear power supply will resolve your hum issue". The response from Matthias was "what sense does it make to have the RME "OFF" and the amp "ON" (besides the point / a point not in dispute) and that the ground is not connected when the unit is "OFF". I guess everything inside the RME units is microprocessor controlled... I hear a relay inside the unit click "ON / OFF" when the unit is turned ON / OFF.

By the way, what did you use for battery power option? I saw that referenced in the manual. It would be interesting if I had a battery setup and if that alone resolved the issue. I would certainly be more inclined to try battery power before any linear power supply option (although, if I had one here, I would still try plugging a linear supply in to see whether that resolved the issue, just because...).

Thank you.
The battery pack I use is called a TalentCell (made in China) and was recommended over at the RME forum.
It is the model # LF4100 (read the instruction manual thoroughly before using).
The only quirk is that you have to turn 'on' the unit when you are charging it.
I think I paid about $100 Canadian for mine...oh, hey, here is a link: $73 now + taxes

https://www.amazon.ca/TalentCell-Li...talentcel+lf+4100+power+supply,aps,142&sr=8-8

It's about the same size as the RME, but not the same form factor, and heavy. It's a Li-Ion pack. Comes complete with cables, so consider it plug and play after it is charged up.
I've yet to deplete the charge ever in one full day of usage, so it last a good long time and you can charge it up overnight.
I use the +12 volt output. Simple.

I don't have ground loop hum issues...my requirements are a little different: I use two RMEs side by side so I can power two balanced amplifiers at will.
So one is 'off' via the battery (battery power pack set to off) while I use the other one with no remote control confusion between the units: LoL.
That and the fact that I want to keep it simple for my wife to watch movies, etc, the RME for the movie speakers is a simpler setup...but I digress.

For the record, I can't hear a difference in sound between the wall wart and the DC battery power on the RME.
And yes, it is curious to note that RME is developing a linear Power supply...maybe they want more of that 'made in Germany' feel to their gear; or just want to make money selling what the audiophiles want: a linear power supply. Heck, maybe they will offer it with a fancy power cord.
People love wanting to part with their money for new bling power supplies (heck, I'd probably buy one LOL). :)

Ciao for now. Best of luck going forward.

Feb 2, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #5,894 of 6,038
The battery pack I use is called a TalentCell (made in China) and was recommended over at the RME forum.
It is the model # LF4100 (read the instruction manual thoroughly before using).
The only quirk is that you have to turn 'on' the unit when you are charging it.
I think I paid about $100 Canadian for mine...oh, hey, here is a link: $73 now + taxes

https://www.amazon.ca/TalentCell-LiFePO4-Battery-Rechargeable-Phosphate/dp/B07YRZYLKV/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2WA86L8SO39B9&keywords=talentcell+lf+4100+power+supply&qid=1706899282&sprefix=talentcel+lf+4100+power+supply,aps,142&sr=8-8
Thanks for the info about the battery pack.

I've tracked down the hum issue. I have dual subs and was using XLR into them (didn't have long enough RCAs), with RCAs into the amp. It sounded soft to me, so I unplugged the RCAs from the amp, and ran short XLR from RME to amp... not using the subs; however... the RCAs were still plugged into the RME. When I touched the pin for the RCAs, the hum got worse. When I unplugged the "unused" RCAs from the RME, the hum went away... almost entirely. There is still a very little amount of hum, but nothing like before. Also, with just the XLR plugged into the Ayre VX-5 Twenty, and touching the shell of the XLR, I could induce a bit of hum. By design, the XLR inputs for the Ayre VX-5 Twenty do not have the metal locking clip on the female connector on the amp... because it's steel and can become magnetic. They thought that was an important detail. Making sure the XLRs were well seated into the connectors on the Ayre amp, amp touching them a bit more seemed to resolve the issue more such that I am now satisfied.

The XLRs I'm using are Mogami 2549 wire with Neutrix connectors. The 2549 wire is 2 conductor wire, with a shield. Mogami makes a 2534 wire that is a quad conductor wire that is supposed to be even more resistance to noise. I am going to try to get my Mogami 2549 wire as "happy" as possible and check anything it is running close to. I think I've already gotten it to that point, but will continue to fiddle with it.

For those interested, below is the description for the Mogami 2534 wire, said to be more noise resistant. Supposedly the advantage of the 2549 wire over the 2534 is lower capacitance and more extended highs with the 2549.

Bottom Line: It appears the RME ADI 2 DAC FS is just very sensitive to sources of noise, but it can be dealt with. Be very particular about how wiring is routed, etc. I may even try some longer XLR cables to get the ADI-2 further away from the amp / other equipment... anything with a transformer... isolate the ADI-2 away from other equipment. It's sitting right next to my Ayre VX-5 Twenty now. I may also try laying a sheet of carbon fiber fabric on top of the unit. I also have a few small pieces of "ERS Paper"... I'll throw everything at it.

1706921296152.png

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #5,895 of 6,038
Update...

With the RME ADI 2 DAC FS connected to Ayre VX-5 Twenty amp via XLR - RME "OFF", Ayre VX-5 Twenty "ON"... there is still HUM. Not as loud, but it's still there.

I also have an Ayre KX-5 Twenty preamp. So, I did a little test... when I have the KX-5 Twenty connected in the exact same manner... Ayre KX-5 Twenty --> XLR to ---> Ayre VX-5 Twenty / KX-5 "OFF" and VX-5 Twenty "ON"...There is no Hum. The Ayre equipment is (and always has been) Dead Quiet.

The issue is the RME ADI 2 DAC FS. Just something to deal with. I will normally leave the RME on anyway, but if playing with one of the battery pack options, it would have to be "Off / Unplugged". I just think it's notable the RME is very susceptible to noise.

I still really like it and it's not going anywhere... until I find something I like better. I'm always open to ideas for new toys. :checkered_flag: :sunglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back