RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Dec 13, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #5,806 of 5,998
Power supply 12V DC, 1.0 A or up

Dec 13, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #5,808 of 5,998
Anyone running Sparkos Gemini with 2DACfs?

So they did an actually remarkable job with their 30-40€ switch-mode power supply… impressive! Now I’m even more curious if this experiment, using a 1200€ power supply like the Hypsos on a formerly 1000€ device like the Adi-2 DAC FS will show us something interesting… even if I probably would not recommend this combination for price reasons alone, even before trying
The stock psu is not an RME product but rather 3rd party. I did read somewhere, a test, using linear psu with the RME and there was no changes or no significant advantage vs stock. In summary, it's more of how good the RME utilizes that power and does not depend on whether it ran from a switching or linear psu.

Dec 13, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #5,809 of 5,998
All this talk of Power supplies has piqued my interest, what are the specs acceptable for the RME?

I have only ever used the included one, but have several, looking to avoid a bad mistake, :gs1000smile:

Cheers!!
It will take 9-15V as it has internal regulation of the power. Running 15v probably generates quite a bit of heat and 9V has very little margin so that is probably why they supply a 12V PSU.

Dec 13, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #5,810 of 5,998
It will take 9-15V as it has internal regulation of the power. Running 15v probably generates quite a bit of heat and 9V has very little margin so that is probably why they supply a 12V PSU.
Thanks for that, appreciate it!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 13, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #5,811 of 5,998
After MANY hours of investigating I came to the following conclusion:

1. Audio Optimum linear PSU 12v - (slightly) best sound performance overall
  2. RME ADI DAC 2 FS standard switching Power Supply (the one it came with) - is following very closely on the second place, with slightly best soundstage from all tested PSUs (but the Audio Optimum linear PSU is not very far away on the soundstage)
  3. FiiO PL50 switching PSU 15V - quite big difference to the two PSUs above
  4. IFI Power Elite 12V with Musigo 3 digital Cable (pure silver digital cable)
  5. FiiO PL50 switching PSU 12V
  6. .... the rest
Hey do you mind sharing where you can find this Audio Optimum LPSU. I couldn't find anything specific on google. Thanks.

Dec 13, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #5,812 of 5,998
So they did an actually remarkable job with their 30-40€ switch-mode power supply… impressive! Now I’m even more curious if this experiment, using a 1200€ power supply like the Hypsos on a formerly 1000€ device like the Adi-2 DAC FS will show us something interesting… even if I probably would not recommend this combination for price reasons alone, even before trying
... really looking forward for your impressions from the Hypsos vs. the standard RME Power supply

Dec 13, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #5,814 of 5,998
Balanced is pretty much always better in an amp that has balanced, as you are using 100% of what that amp is.

Balanced is not better per se unless you are running studio length cables.

If a manufacturer has taken all the resources for a given product and thrown them all into a single ended design, there is no reason the same amount of resources thrown at a balanced design would sound better (all other variables hypothetically being the same). If anything, it should be worse.

So for example, assuming the same level of expertise for SE and balanced designs exists at manufacturer x, then their SE amp built to a 1000 EUR parts price point should sound the same or better than their balanced amp built to a 1000 EUR parts price point.
"Balanced is not better per se unless you are running studio length cables."
This is confusing balanced transmission with balanced drive, two different things

Dec 13, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #5,815 of 5,998
I love my RME-ADI 2 however I really want a more powerful balanced amp for edge case headphones like the HE6 and such. I have been on the fence about getting a Violectric amp for a long time, not sure if they are worth the money. The new Schiit Midgard looks great too, and at $210 its cheap.

Anyone got a balanced amp with a lot of power to compliment the RME ADI-2? What did you settle on? Any issues or regrets?
I have an RME + a Midgard. Love 'em both. Midgard absolutely has more "drive"

Dec 13, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #5,816 of 5,998
The lights and display can be shut off by the remote or after a defined time if you want.
I am not aware of a feature that the RME shuts down itself after a while.
I have a newer version (ESS) of the RME ADI-2 DAC and there is now a setting where you can choose an inactivity shut down timer. I have it set to 1 hour. I don't recall seeing this feature on my AKM 4493 unit.

Dec 13, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #5,820 of 5,998

Users who are viewing this thread

Back