RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Oct 8, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #5,731 of 5,998
I'm thinking of buying UMIK-1 for my stereo setup calibration and better sub integration. Is it possible to do any usable room correction with 5 (7) bands on RME or should I just move to Lyngdorf or other similar gear?
It is very possible, and actually IMO it is a 80/20 rule: with 2 bands you knock down the 2 main room modes, and use the other for fine tuning.

Oct 13, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #5,733 of 5,998
Curious, has anyone here ever compared the DAC performance of ADI-2 (non pro) with that of Uniti Atom? I am considering of 'upgrading' to the latter due to its streaming capability (and it looks freakin good). But if the DACs are similar in performance, i might just add a dedicated streamer to my ADI. Cheers people

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #5,734 of 5,998
Curious, has anyone here ever compared the DAC performance of ADI-2 (non pro) with that of Uniti Atom? I am considering of 'upgrading' to the latter due to its streaming capability (and it looks freakin good). But if the DACs are similar in performance, i might just add a dedicated streamer to my ADI. Cheers people
All dacs have similar performance so it would be a matter of feature set
Uniti will give you an aesthetically pleasing single box solution but with ADI you get the processing features

Oct 17, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #5,736 of 5,998
I just fired up the all-but-new (so already burned in) ADI-2 DAC FS that I bought this week and I am sitting here with the stupidest grin on my face!

I come from the Hifiman EF400, which is no slouch and an excellent performer but really, this is at another level entirely. The depth, the width (even if reviewers say it's not that wide), the detail, the clarity... I had to stop the music to write this, I couldn't concentrate on anything but this creamy, dreamy magic that is passing through my brain. And that's just using Hifiman Edition XS cans, goodness knows what it will be like if/when I can afford Arias.

To me this device is like when you set eyes on a woman/man and just know that they are going to be your perfect partner. I only heard of it recently, I was interested in which of the Ares II, Bifrost 2 and D90 was the best, not even seriously thinking of upgrading as I love my EF400, then someone compared them to the ADI-2 DAC FS and the moment I saw it I fell in love with it - I really like the design and as an engineer I love displays and knobs and things I can play with. I then watched and read the reviews and knew it was the one for me. A very good deal (<2/3 the price) on a perfect condition model C appeared as if by magic and I couldn't resist. I'm SO glad I didn't.

I am in love! Anyone in the UK wanna buy an as-new but emotionally scarred, rejected and sulking EF400?

(Sorry, I just had to let some of this excitement out. :gs1000smile:)

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #5,737 of 5,998
I just fired up the all-but-new (so already burned in) ADI-2 DAC FS that I bought this week and I am sitting here with the stupidest grin on my face!

I come from the Hifiman EF400, which is no slouch and an excellent performer but really, this is at another level entirely. The depth, the width (even if reviewers say it's not that wide), the detail, the clarity... I had to stop the music to write this, I couldn't concentrate on anything but this creamy, dreamy magic that is passing through my brain. And that's just using Hifiman Edition XS cans, goodness knows what it will be like if/when I can afford Arias.

To me this device is like when you set eyes on a woman/man and just know that they are your perfect partner. I only heard of it recently, I was interested in which of the Ares II, Bifrost 2 and D90 was the best, not even seriously thinking of upgrading as I love my EF400, then someone compared them to the ADI-2 DAC FS and the moment I saw it I fell in love with it - I really like the design and as an engineer I love displays and knobs and things I can play with. I then watched and read the reviews and knew it was the one for me. A very good deal (<2/3 the price) on a perfect condition model C appeared as if by magic and I couldn't resist. I'm SO glad I didn't.

I am in love! Anyone in the UK wanna buy an as-new but emotionally scarred, rejected and sulking EF400?

Congratulations, it is a very fine piece of audio hardware. 👍😎

Oct 18, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #5,738 of 5,998

- I really like the design and as an engineer I love displays and knobs and things I can play with. I then watched and read the reviews and knew it was the one for me. A very good deal (<2/3 the price) on a perfect condition model C appeared as if by magic and I couldn't resist. I'm SO glad I didn't.
Congrats, RME provides continual improvements on the ADI-2 software/firmware. Be sure and check out the new PC software remote dashboard that makes the adjustments so much easier to dial-in your sound preferences. I'm an engineer too and enjoy the flexibility and capabilities of the ADI-2.
Links to software: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=38074

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #5,739 of 5,998
Thanks, that was going to be my next post. My hearing isn't great and I need EQ, I was worried that it was going to take me days to dial it in using the buttons and knobs but I fired up ADI-2 Remote and had it sorted in a couple of hours. What a fantastic bit of software, beautifully designed and it does the job perfectly. My only complaint is that it doesn't store the balance adjustment with the preset but I'm sure that's easily fixed.

Full marks to RME for a fantastic device, both hardware and software are first class, something that's rarely the case.

Oct 19, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #5,740 of 5,998
I scanned the manual earlier and couldn't find it, is there a way of stopping it from shutting down after a while? I'd rather have it warm and ready to go when I'm at the computer. And can the red light be dimmed? Thanks.

Oct 20, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #5,741 of 5,998
I scanned the manual earlier and couldn't find it, is there a way of stopping it from shutting down after a while? I'd rather have it warm and ready to go when I'm at the computer. And can the red light be dimmed? Thanks.
The lights and display can be shut off by the remote or after a defined time if you want.
I am not aware of a feature that the RME shuts down itself after a while.

Oct 20, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #5,742 of 5,998
Yes, after about half an hour or maybe more sitting idle it switches itself off. I'll time it next time. I've asked RME and will post what they say.

Oct 20, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #5,743 of 5,998
The lights and display can be shut off by the remote or after a defined time if you want.
I am not aware of a feature that the RME shuts down itself after a while.

Yes, after about half an hour or maybe more sitting idle it switches itself off. I'll time it next time. I've asked RME and will post what they say.

They will probably tell you to check the manual. The setting is called Auto Standby. If you dont see the option, it is possible that it may have been added via firmware update so make sure you have the latest firmware. You can set to OFF, 30 min, 1h, 2h, 4h.

See Section 14.1 of the latest manual (v. 3.1 for the ADI-2 DAC). You can see this in Section 8.4.1 of the Remote software manual (v1.0) as well.

Oct 20, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #5,745 of 5,998
Thanks guys, RME support told me it doesn't switch off automatically so I'm glad I asked here as well. Sorted now. I always do RTFM to get the most out of my equipment but there's a lot to read and a steep learning curve with this wonderful beast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back