RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Sep 4, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #5,701 of 6,034
This may have been addressed already, but I can't read 380 pages: is there any way to bypass the preamp completely in the RME and use only the DAC? That is no volume control, nothing. I want to connect the RME to the Feliks Audio Envy, and I need only the DAC function of the RME, I don't want 2 preamps with 2 volume controls in series.
If the volume is set to 0 and all of the dsp turned is off then it is acting just as any other DAC.

Sep 5, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #5,703 of 6,034
This may have been addressed already, but I can't read 380 pages: is there any way to bypass the preamp completely in the RME and use only the DAC? That is no volume control, nothing. I want to connect the RME to the Feliks Audio Envy, and I need only the DAC function of the RME, I don't want 2 preamps with 2 volume controls in series.

I think if you set the ADI 2 to -7 you get an output level comparable to the usual hifi DACs, 1.7Vrms SE and 3.4Vrms B. If you set it higher the output will be hotter and depending on your amp you might get clipping. The ADI 2 is still tailored to pro audio gear.
You can disable the Volume knob in the menu (lock volume). And set the refence level as you please.

You can also set the volume control to any level that suits you since it is transparent.

Sep 5, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #5,704 of 6,034
Are there any clever solutions to using the ADI-2 to output to a bluetooth transmitter?

I know there are USB bluetooth transmitters for computers, but it would be nice to output everything from the PC to the ADI-2 and then output to headphones or bluetooth.

Stupid idea or is this possible?

If so, I'd hoping for aptX adaptive support (with low latency mode...)

EDIT: The Fiio BTA30 Pro looks almost perfect but it doesn't have aptX adaptive so it's a deal breaker.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #5,705 of 6,034
i’m interested in RME ADI 2/4 pro SE and i have a few questions that may sound ignorant so bear with me :

i see that RME 2/4 pro supports up to DSD256. i have some DSD512 files and i wonder what should i do to be able to play them if anything ?

there are many non-pro units out there portable/transportable or desktop that go up to 512 and i’m a bit surprised with this limitation on a quite recent product. any thoughts ?

i plan using mainly my iphone as the source. i see on amazon that there are some lightning to usb2 midi cables. i wonder if that would be a better way to go avoiding adapters/extra connections on the path ?

for a reference unit such as RME, i wonder why it’s recommended to use adapters or connectors as such in a field where eliminating every bit of distortion is the goal.

on that note, there are higher quality cable makers such as audioquest. would it change sq if that kind of cable was used instead ?

thanks in advance

Sep 10, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #5,708 of 6,034
Hey guys, i heard that some old units were humming in some instances.
Is that fixed?
Buying new unit from Thomann gonna yield me unit whitout any humming?
Thanks.
it humes if connected to a telephone, since in this case it cannot discharge to the ground, to solve this you have to buy a three-pole power supply, if connected to a PC you will not have any problem as it will discharge to the ground through the PC

Sep 10, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #5,709 of 6,034
No, it shouldn't hum in this usecase.
For more technical details on the subject check this thread in the RME forums:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?pid=141163#p141163

I've used my ADI 2 in many different setups and never had any hum.
Using a 3 pole psu is one way out if you encounter issues in your audio setup. I'd think about this if it happens.

Sep 10, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #5,710 of 6,034
No, it shouldn't hum in this usecase.
For more technical details on the subject check this thread in the RME forums:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?pid=141163#p141163

I've used my ADI 2 in many different setups and never had any hum.
Using a 3 pole psu is one way out if you encounter issues in your audio setup. I'd think about this if it happens.
if I connect it to a telephone, it humes and this is technically normal because the 2-pole power supply of the ADI2 cannot discharge to the ground, while if connected to the PC, it does not hum because it uses the 3-pole power supply of the PC.

Sep 13, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #5,711 of 6,034
Do any of you who own the ADI 2 Pro or the ADI 2/4 Pro SE know if it is possible to route the signal from the USB input to the Toslink/Coaxial output via the DSP?

In practice what I would like to achieve is to use only the digital I/O, bypassing the RME converter while maintaining the possibility of using the equalizer

Sep 13, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #5,713 of 6,034
Do any of you who own the ADI 2 Pro or the ADI 2/4 Pro SE know if it is possible to route the signal from the USB input to the Toslink/Coaxial output via the DSP?

In practice what I would like to achieve is to use only the digital I/O, bypassing the RME converter while maintaining the possibility of using the equalizer
I think you should be able to. I have fed the RME ADI-2 Pro using toslink and then outputed toslink to my Schiit Yggy. I did that so that I can use the PEQ but wanted the R2R DAC to convert to analog

Sep 13, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #5,714 of 6,034

Shure it works. User manual Pt 17. Modi 👍
At the moment I feed my ADI-2 pro with USB from my iPad Mini.
Optical to my active speakers.
There is hardly anything the ADI-2 pro can't do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back