RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Aug 17, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #5,686 of 6,034
The acoustic environment of the cup will determine how that added or energy affects the response. And then there is variation from measurement to measurement to account for as well.
Yeah, I guess this is the best I'm going to get out of this cheap microphone setup, but if what I'm seeing is accurate right now, I'm pretty happy.

REW - flat vs fun - Ether 2.jpg
Tweaked quite a lot last night and now I have one "flat" curve (blue) and one which is more "fun" (green).

L1105109.jpg
How it looks on the ADI-2 (headphone is Ether 2 and amp is V281).

On the bottom image I actually use the base (B) to get an "extra" band, though I bet that's common knowledge. Manual says 5 should be enough, but I do feel like I could have used one or two more still.

The thing that confuses me still is how even after I enable the Hi Cut on the blue band at 10khz, REW only shows a very slight lowering of the graph (red is measured without any EQ)... anyone know why that is?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #5,688 of 6,034
Yeah, I guess this is the best I'm going to get out of this cheap microphone setup, but if what I'm seeing is accurate right now, I'm pretty happy.

Tweaked quite a lot last night and now I have one "flat" curve (blue) and one which is more "fun" (green).

L1105109.jpg

On the bottom image I actually use the base (B) to get an "extra" band, though I bet that's common knowledge. Manual says 5 should be enough, but I do feel like I could have used one or two more still.

The thing that confuses me still is how even after I enable the Hi Cut on the blue band at 10khz, REW only shows a very slight lowering of the graph (red is measured without any EQ)... anyone know why that is?
Do you really want flat though, or are the measurements after a applying a compensation curve? The perception of speakers with flat frequency response in an anechoic chamber and from headphones with a flat frequency response is not the same. You essentially need a compensation curve for your rig to get what you would perceive as flat frequency response. That curve would need to be made by recording flat frequency response speakers in an anechoic chamber through the mics in your measurement rig. It still might not be 100% though.

Optimal would of course be to record with tiny microphones in your ear in such a chamber and create a compensation curve from that as you would be able to get what you would perceive with your ears. Ear shape etc. will impact the frequency response.

Aug 22, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #5,689 of 6,034
Do you really want flat though, or are the measurements after a applying a compensation curve?

I wanted a flat for reference. But that entire discussion is something I'm currently having on a different forum. 😉 (MiniDSP does provide compensation curves, though.)

What I was really curious to find out here is if any other head-fi users use the Hi Cut feature of the ADI-2 and what they think about it? (And if someone else has measured the effects of it.)

Aug 24, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #5,692 of 6,034

L1105109.jpg

The eq is doing exactly what it's supposed to here. You are definitely confusing yourself with the graph scale. And if you want it to be more extreme just lower the corner frequency or increase the filter slope.

Aug 29, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #5,693 of 6,034
Is this DAC/AMP/DSP still worth buying or is there anything better in the price-range?

I've seen a few of these on eBay for under $800 which doesn't seem too bad when you compare buying these devices separately.

Aug 29, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #5,694 of 6,034
If you can use the peq, I don’t think it can be beat, especially now that it has a software interface with all adjustments on one page. I have one, and it is a nice piece of kit, as long as you don’t need 3 watts to power a Susvara or other inefficient hp.

Aug 30, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #5,695 of 6,034
Hey RMEr's

Us Aussies were able to purchase the 2022 Utopia over the last few days from the AD at US$2650, which as you know is a steal.
Of course, I picked up a pair to compliment my HD800s, LCD-3's and ZMF VC's
Without going through the entire thread, could those who know please share their EQ settings for the RME (AKM) for the 2022 Utopia?
Bonus Points if you have an "adieqpr" to insert via the new RME Windows remote app
I can't see an Oratory EQ setting

Cheers and Beers

Aug 30, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #5,697 of 6,034
Hey RMEr's

Us Aussies were able to purchase the 2022 Utopia over the last few days from the AD at US$2650, which as you know is a steal.
Of course, I picked up a pair to compliment my HD800s, LCD-3's and ZMF VC's
Without going through the entire thread, could those who know please share their EQ settings for the RME (AKM) for the 2022 Utopia?
Bonus Points if you have an "adieqpr" to insert via the new RME Windows remote app
I can't see an Oratory EQ setting

Cheers and Beers
Search bar

Sep 4, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #5,699 of 6,034
Sound quality is more important than everything to me (perhaps expect for reliability which some Chinese devices lack) and there haven't been many reports on it's sound vs RME.
I'm looking for upgrade in stage depth, width (better 3d imaging) and more warmth. I had a taste of all that with Mojo 2 but it lacked precise chiseling. Didn't like it's blurry presentation. So far Qutest and Pegasus have been on my radar, maybe even Gustard R26. Is that correct direction?
I use some EQ filters to make bass a bit more linear but it's nowhere close to fully fledged room correction so RME's DSP is pretty much irrelevant for me.

Sep 4, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #5,700 of 6,034
This may have been addressed already, but I can't read 380 pages: is there any way to bypass the preamp completely in the RME and use only the DAC? That is no volume control, nothing. I want to connect the RME to the Feliks Audio Envy, and I need only the DAC function of the RME, I don't want 2 preamps with 2 volume controls in series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back