RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jul 4, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #5,656 of 6,034
I think adding more bass will only affect some frequencies, while Mojo 2 makes the entire spectrum of frequency range sound full, bold, sweet and forward, it is somewhat related with different stage presentation where Mojo plays more in your face and RME has better layering, at the cost of making sound thinner. I wouldn't say they are in a different league but they sound completely different. I hoped Qutest might be the sweet spot.

Jul 4, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #5,657 of 6,034
I've heard this, too, with different gear. After comparing lots of gear my conclusion was the RME is very transparent. It has excellent microdynamics, delicate shifts in volume, which are responsible layering, detail and clarity. All of which are part of the recording and the RME translates it.
I found I get better sound using the RME and adjusting tonality, slam, body etc with the headphone and EQ than using DACs or tubes etc. EQ doesn't give the same "feel" as some amps do, I had Schiit Jotunheim 2 which slams hard, but you get Punch and keep the delicate microdynamics/layering etc.
I doubt it's possible to get both, slam and resolution of microdynamics, in any gear. It seems there are always tradeoffs.

Also recordings contribute much more differences than the DAC/AMP does, so regardless what unist you keep you'll find recordings that don't sound "good". Lots of 80s stuff sounds thin and I Iike using my Schiit Valhalla 2 or Corda Classic FF (which is slightly smooth) on these, when I listen to modern freejazz, usually very great recodings, the ADI 2 amp shines.

It's a matter of taste of course, hope you find something that suits your taste.:L3000:

Jul 4, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #5,658 of 6,034
I know this question is asked 1 million times before but just double checking again before I boy the speaker AMP.

I am planning to buy IOM 500 Stereo (NCx500) and connect with KEF r3. My setup will be more or less: I will connect a streamer and TV to ADI-2 DAC, then to IOM 500 then to KEF r3 and will use the DAC with my HD800s.

My question is: Will I be able to control the volume through DAC with Auto Ref and not make anything explode? Also I hope steps when i increase the volume will be small enough since the amp is quite powerful but still i learned that it is a very very good paring.

Thank you

Jul 4, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #5,659 of 6,034
I know this question is asked 1 million times before but just double checking again before I boy the speaker AMP.

I am planning to buy IOM 500 Stereo (NCx500) and connect with KEF r3. My setup will be more or less: I will connect a streamer and TV to ADI-2 DAC, then to IOM 500 then to KEF r3 and will use the DAC with my HD800s.

My question is: Will I be able to control the volume through DAC with Auto Ref and not make anything explode? Also I hope steps when i increase the volume will be small enough since the amp is quite powerful but still i learned that it is a very very good paring.

Thank you
Yes, volume for balanced outputs to the amp and to the headphone are stored separately, they never "forget" and go to full volume, AutoRef is genius to have maximum SNR, and this should be an excellent pairing. Don't forget to add a subwoofer later when po$$ible.

Jul 4, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #5,660 of 6,034
RME is very transparent. It has excellent microdynamics, delicate shifts in volume, which are responsible layering, detail and clarity. All of which are part of the recording and the RME translates it.
I agree with all of that, that's where ADI-2 shines over Mojo 2 (I don't discuss timbre which I prefer on the Mojo as it's a matter of preference) but the soundstage on the RME is completely unacceptable for me, considering its price. Even cheaper Mojo 2 plays way wider and deeper.

Jul 4, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #5,661 of 6,034
Yes, volume for balanced outputs to the amp and to the headphone are stored separately, they never "forget" and go to full volume, AutoRef is genius to have maximum SNR, and this should be an excellent pairing. Don't forget to add a subwoofer later when po$$ible.
I am trying to avoid adding a subwoofer because it will complicate the setup and speaker placement. I think for 1-2 years the setup without woofer will be sufficient.
Also good to know that Auto Ref will work with the AMP. I hope its not to powerful too wake up the whole building :p.

I am also thinking of using some atenuators to lowe the volume even more but still thinking about it. Its hard to really know how things work only reading the forum and the manual. I just hope I will have low decent volume and volume steps when I connect everything

Once i have everything setup I will update the thread on how it sounds

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #5,662 of 6,034
I agree with all of that, that's where ADI-2 shines over Mojo 2 (I don't discuss timbre which I prefer on the Mojo as it's a matter of preference) but the soundstage on the RME is completely unacceptable for me, considering its price. Even cheaper Mojo 2 plays way wider and deeper.
What headphones do you use?

Jul 4, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #5,663 of 6,034
What headphones do you use?
I don't care much about headphones anymore, I have Fostex TH610 and Penon Fan 2, but I'm choosing a DAC only for speaker setup, in that case it is KEF LS50 Meta paired with Hegel H200 and Rel T/Zero MKIII.
However, I made a short comparison of internal amps with TH610 and I liked Mojo 2 much better. Dacs trade punches but amp section on RME is just sterile and cold.

Jul 4, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #5,664 of 6,034
I don't care much about headphones anymore, I have Fostex TH610 and Penon Fan 2, but I'm choosing a DAC only for speaker setup, in that case it is KEF LS50 Meta paired with Hegel H200 and Rel T/Zero MKIII.
However, I made a short comparison of internal amps with TH610 and I liked Mojo 2 much better. Dacs trade punches but amp section on RME is just sterile and cold.
Maybe try a Schiit Bifrost.

Jul 22, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #5,670 of 6,034
The pre-release beta version for Windows is available on the RME Forum: RME Forum post for ADI-2 Remote for Windows

I’ve been using the Mac and iPad versions and they are great.

Cheers
Yes, this is an outstanding dashboard/remote interface. I'm trying out the Windows version and so far no issues. I especially enjoy how you can easily load up EQ presets and toggle the "listen" to test out the different files. Saves a lot of time from mashing and twisting knobs. Much appreciated!!! :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back