RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Mar 20, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #5,536 of 5,998
i tried the Mojo2 it was good. But I honestly didn’t find it better than the Marantz. The Marantz isn’t smoothed over at all actually. Many say that of the DAc. It doesn’t have the traditional Marantz smoothed over sound.
the Mojo 2 was good but didn’t have the weight of instruments that the Marantz does and timbre.
i liked the Mojo1 a bit more to be honest.
Did you use mojo 2 out of computer/usb directly without any usb bridge (like wyred4sound) or Poly? If yes then you’re hearing 50% of its performance

Mar 20, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #5,538 of 5,998
i used it with both the Intona galvanic isolator and Ifi galvanic isolator
Then you experienced 70-80% of what the Mojo 2 can do. Usb to optical bridge pushes things further up even more. ifi iPower X adds even further 5-10%

* I used the ifi iusb micro, but wyred4sound optical sounds even better. Mojo 2 has uncanny ability to scale up in a Chameleon like manner reflecting it's source sign (wyred4sound makes it smooth and organic). I'm typically not too impressed with Chord gear, but Mojo 2 is a freak.

Mar 20, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #5,540 of 5,998
The Marantz is a bit smoothed over - on first listen it's pleasurable but the added definition and realism from the RME (with better headamp) can be difficult to unhear. As an AIO though Crane Song Solaris might be better option with it's discrete headamp (but you don't get the EQ).

You might also consider Mojo 2 with Poly (or even better a good usb to optical bridge) which imo is a touch more lush and organic vs RME and betters it for full size headphones due to it's discrete amp (+ you get a nice but less flexible dsp EQ).. All the more impressive considering it's cigarette pack size.

IMO the RME seems to be better suited for nearfield speaker listening. It's flattens the stage a bit, but with nearfields that's not a problem, and it's smooth mids and detail highlights make for an almost architectural drawing reconstruction of the audio and in close proximity it makes listening both pleasurable and analytical but not shouty.
Everything is subjective. I have both the RME ADI-2 and the Mojo2 with Poly. For me, the Mojo is amazing in terms of sound and portability, but the RME sounds much better. The EQ of the RME also sounds much better than using an EQ software (e.g. eqMac).

Mar 20, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #5,541 of 5,998
Everything is subjective. I have both the RME ADI-2 and the Mojo2 with Poly. For me, the Mojo is amazing in terms of sound and portability, but the RME sounds much better. The EQ of the RME also sounds much better than using an EQ software (e.g. eqMac).
i think overall the RME is better than the Mojo2 as well

of course everything is subjective.
we all have different tastes.

the Marantz even through my speaker system while just trying it for 30 min is much more intimate and has a deeper soundstage. Better timbre. Just a more realistic representation of the music

Mar 20, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #5,542 of 5,998

the Marantz even through my speaker system while just trying it for 30 min is much more intimate and has a deeper soundstage. Better timbre. Just a more realistic representation of the music

It's a subtle difference, but the Mojo 2 doesn't have the timbre problems of the RME (treble ringing/ tonne of opamps). There's Mojo 2 as dac, and Mojo 2 as AIO headamp, which IMO is better due to it discrete design and has less timbre issues like the RME. Mojo 2 + good optical source surpasses the RME with a more organic and solid sound, without the nasty glare of the RME headout.
Mojo 2 + Poly might be in similar ballpark. Also Mojo 2 eq is excellent, very very transparent even if it's more broad.

RME is miles more practical and stable as a desktop unit however, it's just a shame the headout is unusable really for me with HD800S, too limp and ringy - there's zero density and dynamics are very lacking. Dangerous Music Source on the other hand is able to make them groove, and reins in that treble and the sound gains density and punch - that's also using opamps but it has unique analogue stage that's Dangerous Music trait that has density and punch. I don't understand how the RME headout can sound offensive at times (the 3.5mm is very fine however)..

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #5,543 of 5,998

I can understand that.. the RME has issues with timbre and soundstage.. something like Apogee Element and Hiby RS6 trounces it with more enjoyable lifelike music, even if the RME is more analytical and detailed, it lacks 3d positional cues for some reason, the space in between the instruments is smoothed over so we get the highlights of the instruments but the space between them disappears, it's bizzare, like a super detailed architectural drawing of a house - it's all visible and practical for work, but it doesn't show how the sunlight creates different density shades over the building for example. Difficult to explain why this phenomena happens, I've never heard anything quite like this.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #5,545 of 5,998
It's a subtle difference, but the Mojo 2 doesn't have the timbre problems of the RME (treble ringing/ tonne of opamps). There's Mojo 2 as dac, and Mojo 2 as AIO headamp, which IMO is better due to it discrete design and has less timbre issues like the RME. Mojo 2 + good optical source surpasses the RME with a more organic and solid sound, without the nasty glare of the RME headout.
Mojo 2 + Poly might be in similar ballpark. Also Mojo 2 eq is excellent, very very transparent even if it's more broad.

RME is miles more practical and stable as a desktop unit however, it's just a shame the headout is unusable really for me with HD800S, too limp and ringy - there's zero density and dynamics are very lacking. Dangerous Music Source on the other hand is able to make them groove, and reins in that treble and the sound gains density and punch - that's also using opamps but it has unique analogue stage that's Dangerous Music trait that has density and punch. I don't understand how the RME headout can sound offensive at times (the 3.5mm is very fine however)..
Yeah I also feels its a little loose, not alot of density. Pairing is the key though. After some longer sessions between Sundara/Arya on TT2 and RME, the density changes and becomes tighter on the Sundara, it was too loose on the Arya. TT2 brought out all the limitations of Sundara, but Arya seems to be the pairing for that/mid-focused.

Mar 20, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #5,546 of 5,998
I’ve yet to hear a difference with well designed SS amps, the best of the best (Topping, Violectric, Niimbus) sounded pretty much identical to me on several headphones compared to the ADI-2 amp.

I recently listened to my laptop that has a pretty decent build in audio solution with a 3.5mm plug and it sounded nearly the same, just a tad less clean and extended. That’s just my experience however over the years, saved me a lot of money as well :wink:

Mar 20, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #5,547 of 5,998
I’ve yet to hear a difference with well designed SS amps, the best of the best (Topping, Violectric, Niimbus) sounded pretty much identical to me on several headphones compared to the ADI-2 amp.

I recently listened to my laptop that has a pretty decent build in audio solution with a 3.5mm plug and it sounded nearly the same, just a tad less clean and extended. That’s just my experience however over the years, saved me a lot of money as well :wink:
The giveaways is in the rythm and engagements. I have always said a cheap motherboard has the same resolution, but it can not dance like dacs with good clock/timing.

I have not yet heard a dS dac that can dance like TT2. Period.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back