RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Nov 5, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #5,296 of 5,998
Whats your thoughts on it compared to the Chord TT?
I think the RME is an amazing piece of kit with all the possibilities it offers and the only area for which I prefer the TT is sound stage and instrument placement.

Nov 5, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #5,297 of 5,998
Snake oil?
They are now selling a Linear power supply upgrade. So much for the snake oil theory.
They should post an apology on their forum for harassing the people that were providing their experiences about the things that they are now selling.

The same people saying better power supplies make absolutely no difference, are also saying better capacitors make ABSOLUTELY no difference.
They haven't tried or listened to either.
No, they are not selling a linear power supply "upgrade", they are just selling (or will sell) a linear power supply. They have no claims of any influence on the sound and they are pretty explicit about that. They are just doing it due to the demand. Just like they added a 4.4mm balanced connector with more power to the Pro 2/4, although it has no professional audio demand but mainly from hifi people, as Pro ADI-2 already has enough power to drive any HP in the market.

You can claim all you like, but they are the people that can develop such a product and know, analyze and improve in a controlled fashion with decades of experience. They are a respected company. You, on the other hand, read some forums, find out some part numbers and solder them on their design, and go to their forums and make lots of claims, probably without even solving a simple RLC circuit in your life or a simple fourier analysis of a simple signal. What did you expect? That they will take your "I listened and it sounds great" claims seriously?

If you are a "listen only" person, 1) don't go to their forums. 2) don't buy their products, as you should have learned until now, their products are not targeted for you.

Nov 7, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #5,300 of 5,998
I bursted in laugh when I saw their new high end PSU, because just few years ago they were mocking people on their forum asking about using third party linear PSUs.
I think RME will have the last laugh since they will be making money out of this. I don't recall RME claiming that their PSU or any PSU will improve sound quality.

Nov 7, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #5,301 of 5,998
I think RME will have the last laugh since they will be making money out of this. I don't recall RME claiming that their PSU or any PSU will improve sound quality.

So what are they saying in the product description / marketing (they must have one or two lines, right?). Is it like "Here's a PSU, it's as good as your cheap stock PSU but buy it anyway if you're an idiot?" :)

Nov 7, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #5,303 of 5,998
So what are they saying in the product description / marketing (they must have one or two lines, right?). Is it like "Here's a PSU, it's as good as your cheap stock PSU but buy it anyway if you're an idiot?" :)
When I talked to them during the London Canjam they didn't claim any improvement. They just told me here is a PSU if you want one. When I said why the PSU instead of the stock switch mode one the said there is no particular reason other than people asking for it.

Also the PSU they've developed is not only for the RME DAC but for more products and can power multiple units on a float or fix output with a ground lift. I would do the same. If I have many people knocking my door asking for something then I will provide it.

Attachments

• IMG_9846.jpeg
    IMG_9846.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 5:15 AM Post #5,304 of 5,998
When I talked to them during the London Canjam they didn't claim any improvement. They just told me here is a PSU if you want one. When I said why the PSU instead of the stock switch mode one the said there is no particular reason other than people asking for it.

Also the PSU they've developed is not only for the RME DAC but for more products and can power multiple units on a float or fix output with a ground lift. I would do the same. If I have many people knocking my door asking for something then I will provide it.

Thanks. Good point about the float issue. I had it with my Grace Design m900 first, years back. Grace Design explained to me what was happening. Harmless but annoying. And without grounding the same issue applies to the RME ADI-2, the Hugo 2 (in desktop mode), the TT2 (via optical and if not connected to a grounded amp)... the list goes on. So indeed thanks for pointing out that that's one possible use. Not sure how much I would pay for that small fix though.

Nov 7, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #5,306 of 5,998
Did you have any issues with him/buzz? I never understood when to use the lift switch.

Not sure we're talking about the same unit. The GD m900 didn't have a lift switch, unless I forgot. I sold it some two years ago. No issues except a cheap power supply as it happens, the plastic casing cracked when plugging or unplugging.

Sometimes I wish I hadn't sold it. Makes a great office unit that is good and cheap enough not to worry about leaving on the desk for any cleaning crew abuse.

Nov 10, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #5,309 of 5,998
I'm sure it's been said somewhere but going through 354 pages would be more than I can handle right now.
So I'm wondering if the RME ADI-2 DAC pairs well with Sundara and Arya Stealth? I have Sundara at the moment and am thinking of upgrading to Arya SE later, but thought I'd take the opportunity to buy this DAC/AMP first as I'm getting a good price on it right now.

Nov 10, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #5,310 of 5,998
^ It definitely pairs well with the Sundara. I own the ADI and Sundaras but haven't heard the Arya's.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back