RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Oct 28, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #5,266 of 6,034
Guys. Everyone can have their opinion. The point is not to discard anyone's opinion but read with our critical mind in place. For example @batmansbest said that the capacitors made an audible difference in noise floor. I will not say he is wrong because that's not the point. What i will do is not upgrading my RME because based on the information provided from RME i will not be able to hear a difference. So what the result is? He saved me some time and money.
Claiming change in the tuning is one thing, and claiming an "improvement" of an inaudible thing is another thing. Often the people that have no clue on the technical side of the things or don't want to "waste" time trying to understand them come out with this kind of "in my opinion" statements. It is of course not an issue not to know something, but it becomes an issue when someone disregards facts and calls them invalid just because he doesn't want to deal with them and impose his preferences over the facts as facts don't care about preferences.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/yes-objectivists-do-confirm-their-decisions-by-listening.964702/

Anyway, I am out...

Oct 28, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #5,269 of 6,034
@batmansbest is just doing capacitor-rolling and power supply-rolling :dt880smile:. That's not much different in concept to tip- or cable-rolling, is it? Tons of people here do that and the results will always have an initial subjective perspective. If those who engage in whatever-rolling are happy with their modifications, then that's all that matters. No one is obliged to replicate those modifications or agree with the results.

Oct 28, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #5,270 of 6,034
@batmansbest is just doing capacitor-rolling and power supply-rolling :dt880smile:. That's not much different in concept to tip- or cable-rolling, is it? Tons of people here do that and the results will always have an initial subjective perspective. If those who engage in whatever-rolling are happy with their modifications, then that's all that matters. No one is obliged to replicate those modifications or agree with the results.
It has nothing to do what someone modifies, rolls or others agree with him or not. Expressing your preferences and disregarding / invalidating facts as you don't have the tools and the knowledge to make the connections are different things. Most of the never ending debates are due to not being able to make the distinction, and it is made by both sides. I don't care if someone smashes his ADI-2 with sledgehammer and claims he improved the sound. If you read my responses it has nothing about what is good, bad or preferable. But if you put a statement like "in my opinion they don't mean much in real world applications", then there will be a response to that, as it is sent to an open thread where there are other people. Distorting a fact just because one doesn't have the tools and background to analyse something in a logical way and make the connection is not an opinion or a preference, it is just a meaningless statement.

Oct 28, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #5,273 of 6,034
You guys are so defensive and sensitive. If you like what you have, great.....lets other's who want to the get the most of this DAC, explore upgrades in peace. Live and let live.
Take care. :deadhorse:
Naah, classic. Throw in some "measurements are crap" note in your writing, and when you are responded exactly for that point, pretend like "measurement people are against me, they don't want me to explore" defense, as you have nothing to back your "unprovoked" bashing on technical matters. That is as far as you can go with your "measurements don't mean much in real world" thesis. You throw in your "thesis" and when someone responds "they want to limit my freedom", as if there was even a single reference to what you were "exploring".

Oct 30, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #5,276 of 6,034
I posted a comment on RME's website a while back, detailing my experiences with a Linear power supply, and I got attacked and laughed off by all the measurements guys, they became very hostile. So it's quite funny for me to hear that RME itself is coming out with a new power supply :)
It's kinda hilarious actually.
Thank you for letting me know.
Rme and MC become very hostile if something you say they don't like it. Check all the threads that were about the weird cable patch at the first batch of ESS models and you will understand...Everythread was closed without any official answer, while at everything else MC replies...So if they don't like your argue they just become arrogant and hostile. Very disappointed from RME despite i like their products...

Oct 30, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #5,277 of 6,034
Rme and MC become very hostile if something you say they don't like it. Check all the threads that were about the weird cable patch at the first batch of ESS models and you will understand...Everythread was closed without any official answer, while at everything else MC replies...So if they don't like your argue they just become arrogant and hostile. Very disappointed from RME despite i like their products...
This is very true. I guess it comes with the territory, he's kind of a mad scientist.

Oct 31, 2022 at 5:33 AM Post #5,278 of 6,034
RME specifically said that Linear power supplies and batteries make zero difference...none whatsoever. Psychoacoustics is the term they throw around, instead of actually listening for themselves. It's very rich that after the way they treated me on that post, that they turn around and are planning on selling a LINEAR power supply. This RME DAC will the last thing that I ever purchase from this company, they way they treat customers on those forums that are just trying to help out other audiophiles get the most out of their products is quite sad.
The outright hostility and ridicule aimed against their own customers is the definition of bad business.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022 at 6:16 AM Post #5,279 of 6,034
A couple of people from the subjective camp with high rep didn't hear differences with LPS. @Torq former SBAF/headphones.com somes to mind.

So let's collect some facts:
-From a technical perspective it's highly unlikely a LPS would make a difference.
-No difference in measurements.
-People with lots of experience in DAC listening didn't hear a difference.

If there is a difference in PSUs the first question that comes to mind are technical issues in the audiochain. When I read comments that claim the ADI 2 DAC FS sounds grainy etc this also points towards technical issues elsewhere. Because the ADI 2 DAC doesn't sound grainy at all. It's smooth and silky with tons of microdynamics. I've compared it to various DACs like Schiiit Bifrost 2, Ifi Neo iDSD and Holo Spring, Crane Song Solaris. The ADI 2 DAC is just clean. And yes, I hear differences between DACs eventually.
Also measurements doesn't show anything that would point towards grain.
And I've used the RME with a Sbooster 12V mk2 for a while.

Oct 31, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #5,280 of 6,034
RME specifically said that Linear power supplies and batteries make zero difference...none whatsoever. Psychoacoustics is the term they throw around, instead of actually listening for themselves. It's very rich that after the way they treated me on that post, that they turn around and are planning on selling a LINEAR power supply. This RME DAC will the last thing that I ever purchase from this company, they way they treat customers on those forums that are just trying to help out other audiophiles get the most out of their products is quite sad.
The outright hostility and ridicule aimed against their own customers is the definition of bad business.
I would also really be annoyed if people with zero electrical engineering and signal processing background would pop up in forums and make claims like measurments don't matter around people that develop respected professional level audio equipment with decades of experience in the mentioned fields. These products were not developed with "listen only" audiophiles in mind until they were hijacked to this so called hobby with 90% snake oil. Otherwise they could easily place it in a big thick heavy aluminium case and stick a 5000€ price tag on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back