RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Oct 31, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #5,281 of 6,034
I would also really be annoyed if people with zero electrical engineering and signal processing background would pop up in forums and make claims like measurments don't matter around people that develop respected professional level audio equipment with decades of experience in the mentioned fields. These products were not developed with "listen only" audiophiles in mind until they were hijacked to this so called hobby with 90% snake oil. Otherwise they could easily place it in a big thick heavy aluminium case and stick a 5000€ price tag on it.

While what you say is perfectly sensible, losing your temper and arguing with and/or insulting your customers is perfectly insensible.

Oct 31, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #5,282 of 6,034
The outright hostility and ridicule aimed against their own customers is the definition of bad business.
You are right. It's a hobby not a crusade. Personally i am not in camps. As an engineer myself i believe that both measurements and observations have a role to play and indispensable parts of science. Nevertheless you have to be prepared to challenge your own believes. When you state that you can hear difference in noise floor i don't say that this is wrong but the difference you hear might not be due to differences in noise floor because the threshold of noise floor in the RME is well below the human hearing. After all it's your pocket and nobody can tell you how to spend your money. Science is wonderful and my hobby is not measurements but listening. Nevertheless, science matters because without it we wouldn't have anything. When i talk science i don't refer to the work done by Audio Science review because they don't do science. they do measurements and their hobby is different from mine.

Oct 31, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #5,283 of 6,034
While what you say is perfectly sensible, losing your temper and arguing with and/or insulting your customers is perfectly insensible.
Yeah, of course I don't know about the full reaction. If he went so far to insult people, well, that is bad.

Oct 31, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #5,285 of 6,034
It would be sensible to post a link to the RME forum thread in question.
It's not one thread. You can see it in many threads.

Oct 31, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #5,286 of 6,034
From what I've seen the RME guys behave quite fair, considering what some people post there.

I guess they're not used to the amount of "support" their audiophile customers need. :ksc75smile:

I find the RME forum has lots of realy good information.

Oct 31, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #5,287 of 6,034
At least the ones I checked, I actually find him even quite patient with all the nonsense thrown at him. Especially when those things are thrown again and again and again.

Come to think of it: You try to be honest with your products (as you are especially targeting professional audio), spend years working on them, improving it with every chance you get. Then every day you are faced with people that has no professional background on audio, electronics or signal processing; doesn't even want to understand what is happening but cut all the corners trying to impose his opinions as facts with no empirical data outside of his head; only privilage he has being the amount of money he has in the bank account with which he thinks he receives the right to disregard decades of academic and engineering effort by people that worked on them. Not just that, even when you say "no, this is not how things are working" you are being pulled into long debates that try to convince you with sentences starting with "in my opinion", with no empirical proof but lots of "I liked this, I didn't like this".

Oct 31, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #5,288 of 6,034
At least the ones I checked, I actually find him even quite patient with all the nonsense thrown at him. Especially when those things are thrown again and again and again.

Come to think of it: You try to be honest with your products (as you are especially targeting professional audio), spend years working on them, improving it with every chance you get. Then every day you are faced with people that has no professional background on audio, electronics or signal processing; doesn't even want to understand what is happening but cut all the corners trying to impose his opinions as facts with no empirical data outside of his head; only privilage he has being the amount of money he has in the bank account with which he thinks he receives the right to disregard decades of academic and engineering effort by people that worked on them. Not just that, even when you say "no, this is not how things are working" you are being pulled into long debates that try to convince you with sentences starting with "in my opinion", with no empirical proof but lots of "I liked this, I didn't like this".

Yes, I think this is part of the problem. RME didn't expect how popular the DAC would be with hifi people. And the hifi customer is a totally different customer than the pro audio clientelle they knew all these years.

Sure, there are idiots and goofballs posting nonsense, but temper and good customer relations should be expected even then. Courtesy never goes out of style.

Nov 5, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #5,289 of 6,034
Hi there just a quick question to RME dac users, is it worthwhile getting an RME if you don't use the eq or the myriad of other functions available. Thinking of getting the new one when available but don't think i would use the other functions much. Looking for something to replace Hugo TT2 that i might sell

Nov 5, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #5,290 of 6,034
Hi there just a quick question to RME dac users, is it worthwhile getting an RME if you don't use the eq or the myriad of other functions available. Thinking of getting the new one when available but don't think i would use the other functions much. Looking for something to replace Hugo TT2 that i might sell
I'm using it without using ALL the advanced features. The volume being perfectly matched, and the adjustable output voltage for my seperate amp is great as well. It also runs all my HP's with enough power. I Still think its worth it.

Nov 5, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #5,292 of 6,034
I use the RME without the EQ features and for me the killer feature is the variable loudness control. I generally listen to music at lower volumes and find the Loudness feature has greatly enhanced my listening pleasure. Also the internal amp is great for most of my headphone listening.

Nov 5, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #5,293 of 6,034
I use the RME without the EQ features and for me the killer feature is the variable loudness control. I generally listen to music at lower volumes and find the Loudness feature has greatly enhanced my listening pleasure. Also the internal amp is great for most of my headphone listening.
At present I'm using solely as a dac to my Euforia tube amp. I have the original TT as dac to my HPA4. Expect to try out the EQ and loudness abilities at some stage. It works very well for Euforia.😃

Nov 5, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #5,295 of 6,034
I would also really be annoyed if people with zero electrical engineering and signal processing background would pop up in forums and make claims like measurments don't matter around people that develop respected professional level audio equipment with decades of experience in the mentioned fields. These products were not developed with "listen only" audiophiles in mind until they were hijacked to this so called hobby with 90% snake oil. Otherwise they could easily place it in a big thick heavy aluminium case and stick a 5000€ price tag on it.
Snake oil?
They are now selling a Linear power supply upgrade. So much for the snake oil theory.
They should post an apology on their forum for harassing the people that were providing their experiences about the things that they are now selling.

The same people saying better power supplies make absolutely no difference, are also saying better capacitors make ABSOLUTELY no difference.
They haven't tried or listened to either.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back