RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Sep 7, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #4,486 of 6,038
Yes thank you. Am aware of USB Audio Player Pro but don’t have a Google Phone so can’t do this unfortunately.
Couldn't you just go to the google play store from your desktop machine and download UAPP from there? That's what I did. Put it on a flash drive and plug the drive into your Shield. "Mibox APK Installer for Android TV" -- this'll cost you maybe four bux -- will definitely sideload-install UAPP. Once the bypass takes place, Netflix and everything else goes through the DAC.

I did discover that you definitely need Dolby Digital plus disabled. When DDP was enabled, Netflix did not go through the DAC but directly through the crappy little TV speakers.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #4,487 of 6,038
Also no one detailed if this will play Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+ and AppleTV+ in correct sample rate without oversampling.
You don't need an android phone to download UAPP from the google play store. Also, I bleieve you *can* play Netflix et al. audio without the shiled doing upsampling once the DAC takes over audio from the Shield.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #4,488 of 6,038
What I'm trying to tell you is that you don't need an android phone to download UAPP from the google play store. Also that you *can* play Netflix et al. audio without the upsampling once the DAC takes over audio from the Shield.
I’ve done it before on my Shield V2 without an android phone. Just google it or YouTube it. Do both

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #4,489 of 6,038
Thanks for help above. I am trying to find a discussion thread which details audio bit rate for popular TV Streaming Services = Netflix, Prime.

I might just stick with Bluetooth for Nvidia to my LDAC BT Sony Headphones and so only utilise RME for lossless music by connecting RME to a source device for my LOSSLESS MUSIC - my iPad Pro.

Sep 8, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #4,490 of 6,038
Thanks for help above. I am trying to find a discussion thread which details audio bit rate for popular TV Streaming Services = Netflix, Prime.

I might just stick with Bluetooth for Nvidia to my LDAC BT Sony Headphones and so only utilise RME for lossless music by connecting RME to a source device for my LOSSLESS MUSIC - my iPad Pro
Netflix apparently increased its audio bandwidth rates in May of 2019. There are several write-ups about that, here is one of them:
https://decider.com/2019/05/08/netflix-audio-quality/

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #4,491 of 6,038

Attachments

• DF6A1CAC-ADFC-43C2-B967-E394783CFCF7.jpeg
    DF6A1CAC-ADFC-43C2-B967-E394783CFCF7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Sep 9, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #4,492 of 6,038
Thank you.

is the App screenshot below the correct App for Shield to support bit perfect playback.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro&hl=en_GB&gl=US
Just FYI, UAPP only works for music played through the UAPP application itself (your own files or some streaming services like Qobuz or Tidal). I dont think it would work for Netflix, Prime, Apple Music, Spotify or any other app. Hopefully they can add more support in the future. Attached is a screen shot, which shows the available sources (taken on my V60).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210909-084841.png
    Screenshot_20210909-084841.png
    183.4 KB · Views: 0
Sep 9, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #4,493 of 6,038
Just FYI, UAPP only works for music played through the UAPP application itself (your own files or some streaming services like Qobuz or Tidal). I dont think it would work for Netflix, Prime, Apple Music, Spotify or any other app. Hopefully they can add more support in the future. Attached is a screen shot, which shows the available sources (taken on my V60).
Thank you. I only used Shield for TV Streaming Services so it is not beneficial then.

appreciate information me about this

Sep 9, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #4,494 of 6,038
Thank you.

is the App screenshot below the correct App for Shield to support bit perfect playback.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro&hl=en_GB&gl=US
My pleasure. Yes, that is USB Audio Player Pro. It's the one you want. It'll cost, I believe, four or five dollars.

Actually, what I think you will need to do is first buy and download the app, which is version 5.9.9.9, but when you side-load it into your Shield (which you can do in a fairly hassle-free way -- unlike some other side-load methods -- with "Mibox APK Installer for Android TV," which will also cost a few dollars), UAPP will give you a message that says "License check has failed." And it won't open. (This is what happened to me.)

What you do then is write the developer at support@extreamsd.com, tell him this, and he'll send you a beta version 6.0.0.8 or -9 or whatever it's up to now. Install that, and it will work.

Beware that the beta will only work for one week. When it stops working, just write the the dev again and he'll send you an updated version that will work for another week.

He will tell you that there's a way you can just increase the version number of the apk you have, but right now I forget the details of exactly when, where and how you do the increase-number thing so that it will work.

Also know that although UAPP will indeed provide you with bit-perfect sound, it isn't fully supported for Android TV, which means it's operation is a tad wonky. For example, I've found that in a list, say, of albums, the album you've selected is not highlighted, so you can't tell where you are in the list. And some other things like that. You have to move around a bit more than usual to know where you are in the app.

UAPP is apparently is made by one guy, and he told me it would take him several extra months to provide support for Android TV, implying that this was not something that's on his to-do list.

For bit-perfect audio on the Shield, you can also try using the Sony Music Center app, also JRiver, both of which will also have to be side-loaded.

When you side-load an app, it doesn't show up in the regular app list. You need to get the app "Sideload Launcher" and all your side-loaded apps will show there (along with some non-side-loaded apps.)

Good luck!

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #4,495 of 6,038
Thank you. I only used Shield for TV Streaming Services so it is not beneficial then.

appreciate information me about this
You're never going to get any super-hi-rez bit-perfect audio from Netflix, et al. anyway.

Those services will still play through your DAC, most likely at 24/192 or maybe 32/192 but no higher, so there's no point in trying to have them play through UAPP. I use UAPP mainly to play FLAC and DSD music files.

From my perspective, there's little point in having a good DAC if you don't have at least a few albums on DSD, or other very hi-rez playback formats.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #4,496 of 6,038
You're never going to get any super-hi-rez bit-perfect audio from Netflix, et al. anyway.

Those services will still play through your DAC, most likely at 24/192 or maybe 32/192 but no higher, so there's no point in trying to have them play through UAPP. I use UAPP mainly to play FLAC and DSD music files.

From my perspective, there's little point in having a good DAC if you don't have at least a few albums on DSD, or other very hi-rez playback formats.
Not just that, I've found that some 24/192 are not necessarily good quality either, some are LP rips with bad quality, so, yes you need good quality audio files if you are going to buy a good DAC.

Netflix doesn't has good quality stereo or 5.1 audio streams. Neither Disney, Amazon, etc.

If you want good audio for movies/series get Blu-Rays, for music get good DSD or PCM 24/96 (good quality ones) and up.

Sep 10, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #4,497 of 6,038
I respectfully disagree. IMHO, the mastering matters more then the rate when comparing CD SQ to High-Rez DSD. I also believe a good DAC will sound better than an ”ok” DAC even when playing CD quality FLAC files.

Sep 10, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #4,498 of 6,038
I respectfully disagree. IMHO, the mastering matters more then the rate when comparing CD SQ to High-Rez DSD. I also believe a good DAC will sound better than an ”ok” DAC even when playing CD quality FLAC files.
Yes, CD quality will sound better on a good DAC, but netflix and all those streaming services use dolby digital = multichannel mp3, that's the problem.

Sep 10, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #4,499 of 6,038
Fair enough, though I think the mastering and the rate -- and everything else along the chain -- are of roughly equal importance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back