RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Feb 2, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #3,916 of 5,998
Sabre vs. AKM chipset. you prefer the sabre which can be brighter and more energetic compared to the AKM which can be darker and more laid back
Probably but I also thought it's all about implementation and didn't audition either since access to devices is very limited in my area. Any recommendations?

Feb 2, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #3,917 of 5,998
Probably but I also thought it's all about implementation and didn't audition either since access to devices is very limited in my area. Any recommendations?

i moved from a Mytek Brooklyn II to the ADI2-DAC (first gen) and am happy with the change. had the unit for 2 years and for my use (and library) it is as good as my wallet allows. perhaps once I get all my kids through school I can move up the ladder.

don't know if you have heard any of Chords offerings, but the Chord Cutest is supposed to be a desktop version of Hugo II. and is more on the analytical side (from reading others opinion, no first hand experience with that model only Mojo).

depending on your use case and library and a fat enough wallet, you should eventually figure out where your ears are the happiest

Feb 2, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #3,918 of 5,998
i moved from a Mytek Brooklyn II to the ADI2-DAC (first gen) and am happy with the change. had the unit for 2 years and for my use (and library) it is as good as my wallet allows. perhaps once I get all my kids through school I can move up the ladder.

don't know if you have heard any of Chords offerings, but the Chord Cutest is supposed to be a desktop version of Hugo II. and is more on the analytical side (from reading others opinion, no first hand experience with that model only Mojo).

depending on your use case and library and a fat enough wallet, you should eventually figure out where your ears are the happiest

Appreciate the response, I'll hop on Mytek forum and see how people describe the sound.

As far as Chord goes I've only listened to the Mojo and probably need a revisit as I completely dropped it after the A&K.

Feb 2, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #3,919 of 5,998
I'm feeding the Woo WA-2 with either A&K SE100 or the RME, to compare them the SE100 is more musical/dynamic/bigger soundstage/articulate across bass-mid-vocals, it feels as if it draws a much nicer picture.
Both without EQ, EQ'ing the RME for slightly more bass makes the ADX5000 slightly boomy.. While I had both a while now but never did A/B comparison until now, the hunt continues for a desktop DAC I guess.

So you like the A&K SE100 better than the RME...is that correct?

Feb 2, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #3,920 of 5,998
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I also have seen the pairing mentioned and was just curious. I haven't really gotten to know mine yet so I'm currently satisfied with it as a complete package.
I have found big improvements with EQ settings and was wondering what the settings limitations are and what another amp may offer, unless it is for more power depending on requirements. For my finances and sanity the less components the less distractions and I can enjoy the music.

Probably stating the obvious on a forum like this, but what I tell people who aren't yet indoctrinated in hifi......If you're on a tight budget or simply want to be frugal and looking to get the most bang for the buck I think upgrading headphones will be better in most instances....especially if you already have the RME. Through my evolution I found that two things made a massive difference in listenability....better source files (going to lossless/hi-res from 128mp3) and better headphones. Either one of those makes a big difference but both combined are game-changing. Once I had both of those and added a decent DAC (started with the Mojo) the incremental differences I've found with various components is subtle and maybe even indiscernible if truly a/b'ing blind. I think at that point it boils down to finding the product that suits your tastes and sound style vs actually making it sound better (detail, sonically, etc). Granted, I've never heard some really top of the line DAC's like a Chord DAVE, but for my (lack of) critical listening ability I find it really hard to believe that it's worth 11x the RME. Certainly for my system, which is simply fed from my pc to the RME/THX and using a great but not insane set of headphones (Fostex TH900 mk2). Given I buy used I'm all-in at less than $3k. If someone has thousands, or even tens of thousands, worth of components and speakers, then maybe it's noticeable. But they've also spent a college fund's worth of money on a system....it better be.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #3,921 of 5,998
Probably stating the obvious on a forum like this, but what I tell people who aren't yet indoctrinated in hifi......If you're on a tight budget or simply want to be frugal and looking to get the most bang for the buck I think upgrading headphones will be better in most instances....especially if you already have the RME. Through my evolution I found that two things made a massive difference in listenability....better source files (going to lossless/hi-res from 128mp3) and better headphones. Either one of those makes a big difference both both combined are game-changing. Once I had both of those and added a decent DAC (started with the Mojo) the incremental differences I've found with various components is subtle and maybe even indiscernible if truly a/b'ing blind. I think at that point it boils down to finding the product that suits your tastes and sound style vs actually making it sound better (detail, sonically, etc). Granted, I've never heard some really top of the line DAC's like a Chord DAVE, but for my (lack of) critical listening ability I find it really hard to believe that it's worth 11x the RME. Certainly for my system, which is simply fed from my pc to the RME/THX and using a great but not insane set of headphones (Fostex TH900 mk2). Given I buy used I'm all-in at less than $3k. If someone has thousands, or even tens of thousands, worth of components and speakers, then maybe it's noticeable. But they've also spend a college fund's worth of money on a system....it better be.
100 % agree with you.

Feb 2, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #3,922 of 5,998
Anyone use a SACD player with the RME? I'm pretty clueless on whether it's possible or worth it. But I have quite a few discs (all hybrids) that I'm curious about and currently don't own a player.
Not possible unfortunately. I'm in exactly the same boat. SACD players can't output a digital signal. You need an amp that has analog inputs which this RME doesn't have. I'm planning to get the RME ADI-2 PRO FS. For $700 more you get analog inputs and a balanced headphone output. It's actually much more versatile if you can afford it. It's somewhat geared more for professional use so you will need interconnects with a quarter inch phono style connector or adapters like this to use regular RCA interconnects.
Screenshot_20210202-145649.png
And to run balanced headphones you will need an adapter that also has quarter inch phono jacks. In my case an adapter like this which is a 4.4 balanced to quarter inch phono jack.
Screenshot_20210202-144502.png
Extra expense and a bit of a hassle but I'm convinced it's worth it. The PRO also has analog out so I'm going to run that to my room stereo

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #3,923 of 5,998
Not possible unfortunately. I'm in exactly the same boat. SACD players can't output a digital signal. You need an amp that has analog inputs which this RME doesn't have. I'm planning to get the RME ADI-2 PRO FS. For $700 more you get analog inputs and a balanced headphone output. It's actually much more versatile if you can afford it. It's somewhat geared more for professional use so you will need interconnects with a quarter inch phono style connector or adapters like this to use regular RCA interconnects.
Screenshot_20210202-145649.png
And to run balanced headphones you will need an adapter that also has quarter inch phono jacks. In my case an adapter like this which is a 4.4 balanced to quarter inch phono jack.
Screenshot_20210202-144502.png
Extra expense and a bit of a hassle but I'm convinced it's worth it. The PRO also has analog out so I'm going to run that to my room stereo

Good to know, thanks for the response! Being I already have the non-pro version I'd probably just go with the player and run it into an amp. Honestly it was more out of curiosity than anything.

Feb 2, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #3,924 of 5,998
Good to know, thanks for the response! Being I already have the non-pro version I'd probably just go with the player and run it into an amp. Honestly it was more out of curiosity than anything.
I understand. By coincidence I was on the phone with RME just today discussing this very subject so I thought I would pass it on. I realize most people wouldn't want to go to all the trouble and cost. Maybe at some point others will read through this and it could answer their questions

Feb 3, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #3,926 of 5,998
Feb 3, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #3,929 of 5,998
Does anyone connect both IEM and headphone to the ADI-2 DAC FS at the same time? It seems that both the front outputs are active at the same time and there is no way to switch one off, maybe I am missing something? The manual doesn’t say anything about this.

Feb 3, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #3,930 of 5,998
Does anyone connect both IEM and headphone to the ADI-2 DAC FS at the same time? It seems that both the front outputs are active at the same time and there is no way to switch one off, maybe I am missing something? The manual doesn’t say anything about this.
Edit: ignore. Correct answer in next post.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back