RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jan 28, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #3,886 of 6,005
AKM did mention they were looking at outsourcing manufacturing to other sources.

Ah, good to hear. I had heard earlier that some of their intellectual property was lost in the fire so they might not be able to just start manufacturing elsewhere easily.

Here is Schiit talking about switching to Sabre possibly. But it's a bit older of a video. See from 12:05.

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #3,887 of 6,005
My v2 of the RME Adi-2 DAC fs came in today, can't wait to get it home tonight and plug it into the system!
A powerful piece of hardware that does not handcuff you to a certain sound signature. As is you will be greatly satisfied. Dive into the option of modelling your sound to your own preference and you'll realize it's what you need. You can integrate all your headphones perfectly using the DSP/eq and save your setting for each specific headphone. Congrats!

Jan 28, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #3,888 of 6,005
There was an interesting article by one of the amp manufacturers that discussed the relationship between component parts and retail price. I think it was in relationship to bypassing the outputs to prevent DC but the key point was that there is a multiplier based on parts costs and that often something that seems to the customer like a minor incremental cost in this or that translates into a bigger difference out the door than would be tolerable.

Thankfully, RME is a pro audio company. They have enough of a reputation in their market not to have to chase Chifi chip-du-jour products. The reason all the low-end manufacturers tout their late model dual DAC stuff is because it isn't any good. It's just marketing.

Some of the top players in mid-fi (meaning not high end cost is no object) are using non-top of the line chipdac SOCs. Their stuff (RME for example) is still better than the loss-leader stuff being dumped on the market.

Just curious that's all.

I've been listening to NOS DACs for years and am researching for a new DAC for my headphone system. It looks pretty nice; lacking AES input but I could slum it with SPDIF Digital I suppose.

It's cheaper than other solutions on my shortlist (Metrum Acoustics Onyx/Pavane, Sonnet Audio Morpheus, Schiit Yggdrasil, Chord Qutest/HugoTT2). I'll have a little think to myself.

Jan 28, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #3,889 of 6,005
I personally prefer the RME over a Bifrost Multibit. The RME just sounds crisper and cleaner, similar to how some wines are so crisp and fresh.

Chucking in the Valhalla 2 and Asgard 3 doesn't help either when used as combo with the Bimby although the Asgard 3 fed by the RME is a champ.

Jan 29, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #3,890 of 6,005
Thankfully, RME is a pro audio company. They have enough of a reputation in their market not to have to chase Chifi chip-du-jour products. The reason all the low-end manufacturers tout their late model dual DAC stuff is because it isn't any good. It's just marketing.

Some of the top players in mid-fi (meaning not high end cost is no object) are using non-top of the line chipdac SOCs. Their stuff (RME for example) is still better than the loss-leader stuff being dumped on the market.

What have you tried recently to make this grossly biased and unfounded statement? :nerd:

Jan 29, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #3,891 of 6,005
A few posts back I asked about a pair of headphones to add to my Hifiman Ananda, easy to drive straight out of the RME amp as I want to keep using a single box; I’ve read reviews about the Focal Clear and Fostex, wasn’t 100% convinced and in the end I went with something that is not supposed to be easy to drive, the HEDD Heddhone, I was intrigued by the technology used in the drivers, but obviously I was concerned about the RME ability to drive them.

I can happily report the Heddphone sounds just fine, no additional amp needed. Obviously I don’t know how they will scale with a ‘better’ amp, but in terms of volume it’s no problem...I didn’t even need to engage the high power mode to get to a comfortable listening level.
I’m really wondering how loud people usually listen to headphones if they need ‘more power’.

Jan 29, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #3,892 of 6,005
How many DAC chips does this have? One? Or one per channel?

And can it be put into DAC only mode so I can connect it to a separate headphone amp with balanced connector?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #3,893 of 6,005
How many DAC chips does this have? One? Or one per channel?

And can it be put into DAC only mode so I can connect it to a separate headphone amp with balanced connector?
One chip, and yes, you can hook it to a separate amp, and set it as a DAC only with set levels on both RCA and XLR outs.

Jan 29, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #3,895 of 6,005
Anybody using the focal clear with the adi 2dac/pro which power mode sounds best? I have been using it on Hi mode and thought base sounded really amazing but i don't know if its wrong

Using the Elear, Clear and Elegia with the RME and powerful bass is a good indication its working well as a combo. Just don't overdrive a Focal as they are known to break easier than a Sennheiser or a Beyer.

Jan 29, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #3,896 of 6,005
A few posts back I asked about a pair of headphones to add to my Hifiman Ananda, easy to drive straight out of the RME amp as I want to keep using a single box; I’ve read reviews about the Focal Clear and Fostex, wasn’t 100% convinced and in the end I went with something that is not supposed to be easy to drive, the HEDD Heddhone, I was intrigued by the technology used in the drivers, but obviously I was concerned about the RME ability to drive them.

I can happily report the Heddphone sounds just fine, no additional amp needed. Obviously I don’t know how they will scale with a ‘better’ amp, but in terms of volume it’s no problem...I didn’t even need to engage the high power mode to get to a comfortable listening level.
I’m really wondering how loud people usually listen to headphones if they need ‘more power’.

If you EQ heavily, power requirements go out of the window. The LCD-2 running 6db of low frequency equalisation will need a lot more than power than standard or else it distorts. The RME barely runs out of steam with most of my cans except a couple of planars.

Jan 30, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #3,897 of 6,005
Using the Elear, Clear and Elegia with the RME and powerful bass is a good indication its working well as a combo. Just don't overdrive a Focal as they are known to break easier than a Sennheiser or a Beyer.
I actually like the sound just like that without eq, my question was referring to the high/low/auto power mode selection?

Jan 30, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #3,899 of 6,005
If you EQ heavily, power requirements go out of the window. The LCD-2 running 6db of low frequency equalisation will need a lot more than power than standard or else it distorts. The RME barely runs out of steam with most of my cans except a couple of planars.
That’s right. I think the power output doubles each 3db increase, although I don’t know if that totally applies to EQ (it’s just a set of frequencies).
6db increase in the low end would translate to 4x the power requirement...you can easily clip the amp.

Jan 30, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #3,900 of 6,005
I love the sound of the ADI-2....wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a comparable sounding portable DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back