RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jan 27, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #3,856 of 6,005
Note that the output impedance of the XLRs is 200 ohms. Only 600 ohm Beyerdynamics are likely to sound any good driven from this and even then it's not what is normally recognised as an ideal impedance ratio.

That is what I thought, I was just hoping there was an internal setting that could make the correct voltage be applied to the XLR like the Phonitor 2 has. With all my reading it seems the ADI can do just about everything else.

Jan 27, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #3,857 of 6,005
I can't really tell, if I perceived any burn-in period with my beloved RME, but from several mid-fi DACs I owned along the way, one of them definitely needed 50+ hours of burn-in, otherwise it sounded awful. I was doing A/B testing and it started to sound good on third day. And I was non-believer before, but after this experience, I really have to consider burn-in even for DACs, as strange as it sounds..

If a DAC needs 50+ hours of burn in to sound good then you can speed up the process by placing the DAC in the middle of a raging bonfire, and then dispose of it in accordance with local electronic device recycling laws.

Jan 27, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #3,859 of 6,005
If a DAC needs 50+ hours of burn in to sound good then you can speed up the process by placing the DAC in the middle of a raging bonfire, and then dispose of it in accordance with local electronic device recycling laws.
Don't forget the crystals

Jan 27, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #3,860 of 6,005
Don't forget the crystals
Crystals alone do nothing. It's the one angstrom thick layer of snake oil that makes it happen.

In all seriousness, I believe the brain is what burns in, not the gear. Just like when you read a book the first time, you get the big stuff. When you read it again and again, you pick up details and things come together.

It just takes a while to get used to what new gear is telling you. The gear is not changing, you're just starting to get it.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #3,861 of 6,005
Crystals alone do nothing. It's the one angstrom thick layer of snake oil that makes it happen.

In all seriousness, I believe the brain is what burns in, not the gear. Just like when you read a book the first time, you get the big stuff. When you read it again and again, you pick up details and things come together.

It just takes a while to get used to what new gear is telling you. The gear is not changing, you're just starting to get it.
100 %

Jan 27, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #3,863 of 6,005
The same with my iPhone. After 10 days of using, all Apps are working more fluently and rhythmic. Calls getting a bigger stage....
Awesome first post! :D

Jan 27, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #3,864 of 6,005
Do RME have any plans to use the top tier AK chip in this DAC?

Jan 27, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #3,867 of 6,005
Regarding burn in I strongly believe in it after my last experience, with the ADI-2 the sound at first was a bit narrow and the frequencies mixed up, it was like the treble and lows were forced into the mids. After 100 hours of listening to it everything sounded as it was supposed to. I'm not saying burn it in and not listen to it, just reserve judgement after at least 24 hours.

I recently got a Farad Super3 5v for my network card, and at first it sounded worse then a switching psu, so much high frequency noise. Farad recommends in their manual between 200 and 500 hours of usage. If I didn't believe in burn in I would've returned it immediately since it sounded so bad. I'm glad I do since after about 100 hours it sounds absolutely incredible. I'm so impressed that I will be getting a 12v version for the ADI-2 and compare it with my Pro-Ject sources linear psu. And I know I will get a bit of hate for this, but tonight I decided to plug in the stock RME psu for a few tests and its bad, there is so much harshness added to the music. If you find the sound to be harsh and not musical try a linear psu see if that changes anything in your system.

Jan 28, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #3,868 of 6,005
It's a shame that such a tiny community, which should be bound together by love to the art of music, can't keep a discussion in a respectful manner. So I'll respond to you all likewise.

Now let me tell you one thing - we as a humanity are still FAR away from understanding physics of everything, but we know this - all "solid" matter is made of 99.999x% free space and the rest is ---- moving particles. And electrons themselves, powering up our electrical equipment, are what - static? particles?
I doubt that anybody of you EXACTLY know what's happening inside every single electrical component on subatomic level when it's interacting with electrons, yet here common "I can't understand it so it's not possible" attitude is giving your ego a permission to mock anybody, who is sharing his EXPERIENCE, which is opposite of your limited knowledge, essentially just a belief.

I can imagine that people like some of you here were back in the days round-earth deniers, earth-centric universe believers and every other idea was just ridiculous, deserving a proper mocking, right?

If you didn't have that experience yourself and can't comprehend, HOW could some phenomena exist, it's doesn't necessarily mean it can't be real, because guess what - physics doesn't revolve around our still LIMITED personal understanding. The limited is important, since if you'd go back in time, no matter how much, and ask people or even scientist that if we know everything by now, many of them will tell you that yes - there's nothing more to discover. And as we now know, what a narrow-minded, even arrogant these opinions were.

And don't start with that brain burn-in again (which very well might often be the case, but not this time), since I got several DACs on my desk at once, switching back and forth for a week, otherwise if I didn't have direct comparison, I wouldn't be stating this.

Jan 28, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #3,869 of 6,005
Does anyone know any set of tested eq settings for HD25Alum/ADI-2? Or just 25.
I recently discovered the Oratory1990 page of eq settings on reddit where there are, among others, eq settings specially for the adi-2 and a number of cans. Including the hd600.
Unfortunately not for the 25Alum.
(The same goes for Audeze Sine if there is something out there)
Thanks

*Yes the 25 with adi-2 sound great!!!

Jan 28, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #3,870 of 6,005
It's a shame that such a tiny community, which should be bound together by love to the art of music, can't keep a discussion in a respectful manner. So I'll respond to you all likewise.

Now let me tell you one thing - we as a humanity are still FAR away from understanding physics of everything, but we know this - all "solid" matter is made of 99.999x% free space and the rest is ---- moving particles. And electrons themselves, powering up our electrical equipment, are what - static? particles?
I doubt that anybody of you EXACTLY know what's happening inside every single electrical component on subatomic level when it's interacting with electrons, yet here common "I can't understand it so it's not possible" attitude is giving your ego a permission to mock anybody, who is sharing his EXPERIENCE, which is opposite of your limited knowledge, essentially just a belief.

I can imagine that people like some of you here were back in the days round-earth deniers, earth-centric universe believers and every other idea was just ridiculous, deserving a proper mocking, right?

If you didn't have that experience yourself and can't comprehend, HOW could some phenomena exist, it's doesn't necessarily mean it can't be real, because guess what - physics doesn't revolve around our still LIMITED personal understanding. The limited is important, since if you'd go back in time, no matter how much, and ask people or even scientist that if we know everything by now, many of them will tell you that yes - there's nothing more to discover. And as we now know, what a narrow-minded, even arrogant these opinions were.

And don't start with that brain burn-in again (which very well might often be the case, but not this time), since I got several DACs on my desk at once, switching back and forth for a week, otherwise if I didn't have direct comparison, I wouldn't be stating this.

I am sitting here with 15+ DACs and Amps and in my EXPERIENCE there is no burn in in electronics considering they are solid state and have very specific voltages especially in something as precise as the RME.

If caps and resistors have certain values, deviations usually result in a negative impact on them. ECC memory is a great example of how an electronic signal is verified to insure integrity and any deviation is considered undesirable.

If ECC RAM started having burn-in and deviations.it will collapse mainframes and servers at a moments notice.

Please don't even go into that electron debate as solid matter is not 99.99 free space but the atoms that compose that matter are 99.99% free space. That sentence alone tells me that you are not aware of what you are talking about but trying to paint the rest of us as flat earthers.

If you want to sell woo, atleast dress sharp and present a semi correct argument with built in plausible deniability as any proper woo seller would do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back