RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Aug 28, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #3,166 of 5,998
Having a laugh tonight with RME ADI-2 FS, Blon BL-03 Purple Edition IEM, Spinfit tips and a Linsoul cable. Tips and cable cost twice as much as the IEM :D
Amazing bang for buck, so nevergiveup the oppoty to follow music and driams!!! Also, last but not least, annotation - letmusicburn!

You should definitely check out the link someone posted above with the suggested EQ settings. I have the Blons and they are great for the price but when you enter these eq values it will blow your mind what they can do.

Aug 28, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #3,168 of 5,998
Have you tried the RME’s EQ?

I have. I am no expert at EQing but for some reason both my Sennheisers just don't seem to "jive" with the RME. I really wish I knew what is happening here but when I listen to them from the RME through my budget dark voice they sound amazing. I am just not knowledgeable enough about the science why this is.

Aug 28, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #3,169 of 5,998
I have. I am no expert at EQing but for some reason both my Sennheisers just don't seem to "jive" with the RME. I really wish I knew what is happening here but when I listen to them from the RME through my budget dark voice they sound amazing. I am just not knowledgeable enough about the science why this is.
Sennheiser 600 series benefit from a high voltage swing and a big over saturated current flow

Edit: i also see the darkvoice has 80ohm output impedance at this impedance your headphones should habe a 1-3db more sub bass mid bass and lower midrange compared to the under 1ohm output impedance of the rme

Try hi power mode instead auto ref or low on your sennheiser give them a bit of shelf eq on the lower frequency

Screenshot_20200812-031231_Chrome.jpg

And try the nos filter with this eq curve correction

This filter correction curve with eq is from the inventer of the rme adi

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #3,170 of 5,998
^ what he said. I guess from what I hear the RME cannot supply enough voltage to make 300 ohm Sennheisers happy. It has nothing to do with EQ and cannot be fixed.

I don't like auto ref on the RME but that seems to be the recommendation.

Sennheisers need a healthy amp, preferably tube OTL to sound their best. No surprise at all that your darkvoice makes them sound like they should.

But big solid state amps like Violectric also get the job done.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #3,171 of 5,998
Hi all, very tempted to buy an rme adi-2 dac but not at all certain it will improve my overall sound system as follows:

Sources: amazon music via windows, cheap cd player with coax digital output.

Dac/amp: fx audio fx6

Headphones: ath m50x, fidelio x2hr, blon bl03 iems

Running through basic behringer mixer to presonus templor t10 and eris e5 monitors.

Sounds pretty good at the moment and can add a little eq from the mixer. The rme would eliminate the mixer and give me eq, question is how much difference would it make to both the monitor output sound quality and also my headphones /iem, enough to justify £840 outlay?

Was also maybe thinking about just a headphone amp for the fx6 dac as a cheaper / better option.

Any advice comments very much appreciated
Regards David

Sep 2, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #3,172 of 5,998
Hi all, very tempted to buy an rme adi-2 dac but not at all certain it will improve my overall sound system as follows:

Running through basic behringer mixer to presonus templor t10 and eris e5 monitors.

Sounds pretty good at the moment and can add a little eq from the mixer. The rme would eliminate the mixer and give me eq, question is how much difference would it make to both the monitor output sound quality and also my headphones /iem, enough to justify £840 outlay?

Was also maybe thinking about just a headphone amp for the fx6 dac as a cheaper / better option.

Regards David
I would invest that money into better headphones. You will gain much better sound quality that way.

The money is not justified for you gear its an overkill. You can get the rme when you have a good pair of headphones or speakers.

Sep 2, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #3,173 of 5,998

Regards David
I guess it will be a very very significant improvement. No brainer in my opinion.

Edit: and I agree with the above, the monitors will benefit the most, but better headphones should be in order.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #3,174 of 5,998
I guess it will be a very very significant improvement. No brainer in my opinion.

Edit: and I agree with the above, the monitors will benefit the most, but better headphones should be in order.
Thanks, yes potentially interested in upgrading headphones but did think need decent base dac amp to run them, and the rme looks a great all rounder to build on.

I would invest that money into better headphones. You will gain much better sound quality that way.

The money is not justified for you gear its an overkill. You can get the rme when you have a good pair of headphones or speakers.
OK thanks for this, could you give an example of a solid headphone upgrade - I like open back especially with a warm smooth sound and satisfying bass response?

Thanks, yes potentially interested in upgrading headphones but did think need decent base dac amp to run them, and the rme looks a great all rounder to build on.
Decided to go for it as the basis for mainly headphone listening, I would appreciate any advice on headphone upgrade, realistically up to say £1k, prefer open back and wide soundstage, I'm 56 so probably can't hear beyond 11k..

Sep 2, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #3,175 of 5,998
Decided to go for it as the basis for mainly headphone listening, I would appreciate any advice on headphone upgrade, realistically up to say £1k, prefer open back and wide soundstage, I'm 56 so probably can't hear beyond 11k..

There is alot of stuff around 1k maybe look into the mew beyerdynamic t1 it was released yesterday a few review should come these days in. People who heard it say they are wide open warm/neutral with good bass and very detailed. And you can drive them with anything your phone or your amp

Sep 2, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #3,176 of 5,998
There is alot of stuff around 1k maybe look into the mew beyerdynamic t1 it was released yesterday a few review should come these days in. People who heard it say they are wide open warm/neutral with good bass and very detailed. And you can drive them with anything your phone or your amp

Yeah but not the T1 2nd. He may not be aware of the difference.

Sep 2, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #3,177 of 5,998
OK thanks, looking forward to reviewing and comparing the options!
Edit: realistically what is the highest impedance the rme can drive from the main headphone output?

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #3,178 of 5,998

Are EQ and Loudness turned off?
I had no issues with my HD800S or HD820.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #3,179 of 5,998
Edit: realistically what is the highest impedance the rme can drive from the main headphone output?
It can drive nearly anything, it puts 300ma into my 250 ohm dt 1990. The amp is also pretty clean.

Sep 2, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #3,180 of 5,998

It's not about impedance. It's about impedance and efficiency and whether the headphone needs voltage or current.

The RME cannot drive 300 ohm Sennheisers well. I suspect it cannot drive 250 ohm Beyers well either. And if somebody tells you it can then we need to know what other amps he heard those with, because a lot of people have no ideas what the cans are capable of since they never heard them out of an appropriate amp,

These cans were not made for portable devices or low voltage amps. They were made in the days before headamps were available. People used integrated amps and receivers that had enough voltage. From what little I can tell, 300 ohm Sennheisers need a voltage swing of around 15V to start sounding really good.

Some headphones the RME can drive well are Fostex and Audeze LCD-2C.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back