RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jul 28, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #3,061 of 6,038
Is there a way to switch between the analog outputs on ADI-2 Pro/DAC?

On my ADI-2 Pro, I'm using my XLR to power my tubes and the 1/4" out to my speakers.

It is currently outputting to both my amp and my speakers. I was hoping there was an option to switch between the two, but I can't find anything in the manual.

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #3,062 of 6,038

On my ADI-2 Pro, I'm using my XLR to power my tubes and the 1/4" out to my speakers.

It is currently outputting to both my amp and my speakers. I was hoping there was an option to switch between the two, but I can't find anything in the manual.

Nope - the XLR and the RCA are not independent - signal is always sent to both if no headphones are plugged or Line Out is selected as the output.

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #3,063 of 6,038

Overall the RME is excellent, but this is one of the few sections that I don't think clearly explains things in the RME manual. Anyway, here you go...

14.1.3 Phones / DSD​
The subpage Phones / DSD has the following entries:​
Mute Line​
OFF, vs. Phones, Toggle Ph/Line. Toggle Plugged. The default, vs. Phones, activates mute of Line Outs when inserting a phones or IEM plug. Alternatively Toggle activates the ability to manually switch between 'front' and 'rear'. It allows to have the Phones/IEM connected all the time. To change push the VOLUME knob for half a second. Via Remap Function Keys this func- tion can also be controlled by one of the four function keys or the remote control. Toggle Plugged additionally activates the switching between Phones and IEM, automatically detected by the sensor contacts of the two outputs. Which also works via Remote and Function Keys, if Toggle Ph/Line has been activated there.​

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #3,064 of 6,038
Nope - the XLR and the RCA are not independent - signal is always sent to both if no headphones are plugged or Line Out is selected as the output.
Overall the RME is excellent, but this is one of the few sections that I don't think clearly explains things in the RME manual. Anyway, here you go...

14.1.3 Phones / DSD​
The subpage Phones / DSD has the following entries:​
Mute Line​
OFF, vs. Phones, Toggle Ph/Line. Toggle Plugged. The default, vs. Phones, activates mute of Line Outs when inserting a phones or IEM plug. Alternatively Toggle activates the ability to manually switch between 'front' and 'rear'. It allows to have the Phones/IEM connected all the time. To change push the VOLUME knob for half a second. Via Remap Function Keys this func- tion can also be controlled by one of the four function keys or the remote control. Toggle Plugged additionally activates the switching between Phones and IEM, automatically detected by the sensor contacts of the two outputs. Which also works via Remote and Function Keys, if Toggle Ph/Line has been activated there.​

Thank you guys for the response.

I have my speakers plugged into my tubes (my tubes are also plugged into ADI-2 Pro) as well as my ADI-2. I was hoping for a solution to seamlessly switch between outputting my speakers from my tubes and from ADI-2.

Jul 30, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #3,065 of 6,038
Has anyone else RME had to "break-in"? It seems that mine has. This may be a placebo, but after two weeks wow the sounds is on a whole nother level. :D

Jul 30, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #3,066 of 6,038
Has anyone else RME had to "break-in"? It seems that mine has. This may be a placebo, but after two weeks wow the sounds is on a whole nother level. :D
More like Brain Burn-In, im sure it measures the same as when you got it.

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #3,067 of 6,038
More like Brain Burn-In, im sure it measures the same as when you got it.
If my brain burns in then how come all my other kit sounds just the same as it did before???

Jul 30, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #3,068 of 6,038
If my brain burns in then how come all my other kit sounds just the same as it did before???
Because you now have a psychological emotional bounding to your dac.

Like your child is the best. Or your partner. Or the car you drive the longer you have it the more you like it. Or your favorite sports team.

But thats just my thinking i dont have any proof for anything

Jul 30, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #3,069 of 6,038

No, it's an electronic device with no moving parts - there is no burn in. The only burn in that I personally can accept, that possibly happens, is with transducers as they are a moving part, but so far I've never heard any change in any headphone or speaker from new out of the box.

Jul 30, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #3,070 of 6,038
Does a better amp really benefit the adi 2. I heard some reviewers say it mainly increases bass and stage.
I've found that it does, but it depends on the headphones. With my HD650s bass was ok, stage was fine, the only thing that didn't feel 'right' was the midrange, it sounded flat and emotionless, music wasn't engaging anymore. My HD 25's sounded amazing tho, so it depends on each headphone. The HD650 was fixed by using the ADI 2 as a DAC into the A90 amp, very happy with this pair, and I don't know if I can do any better, perhaps a different 'flavour' with a tube amp in the future. Be wary with the A90 and using USB-> RCA with any DAC from PC as it will carry noise, while moving mouse etc. Noise will go away if XLRs are used, or you can use RCAs with toslink optical connection, this is a A90 problem, not a RME one as it happened with other DACs too.

Jul 31, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #3,071 of 6,038
No, it's an electronic device with no moving parts - there is no burn in. The only burn in that I personally can accept, that possibly happens, is with transducers as they are a moving part, but so far I've never heard any change in any headphone or speaker from new out of the box.
I would agree that there is no appreciable burn-in per se, since there are no moving parts. However, warmup is another story. All electronic components will increase their temperature once power has been applied and component values like resistances will change to some extent due to this. This is why test equipment manufacturers typically calibrate their products after they have been warmed up for x minutes/hours. This is also why I leave my DAC on all the time - to keep all of its components at their optimal operating temperature. However, in my opinion, any changes seen in performance after an hour of warmup are placebo, unless you're running your equipment in a freezer.

Jul 31, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #3,072 of 6,038
Our senses can easily trick us, especially hearing. I have seen respected reviewers failing blind tests. In high-end audio you often have to really focus on the differences which you simply wouldn't notice if you were just enjoying your music. These differences can often be measured in $£€ hundreds or even thousands.

At the same time the sensitivity of our hearing differs too. Some can easily hear the subtle differences where it is all the same for others, even in 'audiophile' circles.
You have to put a personal price tag on what difference (improvement) is worth it for you.

DAC burn in or cable burn in I don't really believe in. Yes, DACs and cables can make a difference, but they don't really need to 'burn in'. It is more like your brain/ears are adjusting to the new sound. Some people can adjust quicker, some slower. Even folks who can easily and quickly distinguish between two new sound profiles it can take 2-3 days for them to fully adjust to a new sound or fully appreciate it.

Also there are headphones/amps where the brain adjustment happens quicker/easier and sometimes it takes more time to appreciate something. For example the Nighthawk takes days to fully adjust to while avoiding listening to anything else. When I am coming back to my home system after 2 weeks holiday it always takes a day to really appreciate it again. Of course it sounds great immediately, but takes time to see (or rather hear) why I spent so much. Of course, the following day I fall in love again.

I can btw recommend this antidote for upgraditis. Stay away from your system for two weeks and see if you really want to purchase that next headphone or amp. (Also reading positive reviews of your current setup can help. :) ) Of course, I know it is just delaying the inevitable. Or maybe not if you have done these rounds for hundred times...

Some headphone drivers ease up in the first 100 hours of usage due to mechanical movement. Mostly the treble becomes smoother and the bass fuller. Some amps can also sound a bit thin or raw in the beginning and they become more lifelike or fuller sounding. DACs? That is brain adjustment in my opinion. Even with headphone burn-in more happens in the brain than in the actual drivers. There is some degree of burn-in with certain equipment but it is ridiculously overemphasised in this community.

Aug 1, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #3,074 of 6,038

I don't think mine has...but when I first heard it, it was very different compared to my material before. I had been using an old Sony CDP291 for 30 years.
I bought a tascam cd200bt and found the analog output totally unacceptable. Low frequency response was very poor. So I bought the RME and used the tascam digital coax out to drive it. I had no idea how poor the Sony DAC chip in my unit was until I heard the RME. The difference was EPIC. So much clarity and detail...and a flat frequency response. I have been listening to it a lot and the experience has been remarkable.
I never knew what I was missing! I am getting used to the new performance and wow is it superb!
My system is just the transport, the RME, a power amp, and some large JBL speakers. I use the RME for my phones. HD600 and other
Sennheisers.

My perception is changing fast. My car audio system is really starting to really sound bad now...this is natural.

Best CD quality I have ever heard, spectacular!

Aug 2, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #3,075 of 6,038
I don't think mine has...but when I first heard it, it was very different compared to my material before. I had been using an old Sony CDP291 for 30 years.
I bought a tascam cd200bt and found the analog output totally unacceptable. Low frequency response was very poor. So I bought the RME and used the tascam digital coax out to drive it. I had no idea how poor the Sony DAC chip in my unit was until I heard the RME. The difference was EPIC. So much clarity and detail...and a flat frequency response. I have been listening to it a lot and the experience has been remarkable.
I never knew what I was missing! I am getting used to the new performance and wow is it superb!
My system is just the transport, the RME, a power amp, and some large JBL speakers. I use the RME for my phones. HD600 and other
Sennheisers.

My perception is changing fast. My car audio system is really starting to really sound bad now...this is natural.

Best CD quality I have ever heard, spectacular!

Yes. I have a couple of TASCAM minidisc decks and while they sound fine by themselves, running them through an Oppo was kind of an amazing difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back