RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Aug 7, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #3,076 of 5,991
Ok so after completing my audio chain with some good XLR cables (Van den Hul 3T The Mountain) and power cables I could compare the RME ADI-2 amp out versus the Topping A90 with my HD650s.

I have to admit from what I'm hearing now that I was wrong before saying that the ADI 2 amp is bad with my 650s. The problem with the midrange was because of the AKMs 'Velvet Sound', where the midrange takes a dip and sounds smoother, because I prefer the ESS sound signature, I fixed that with some EQ, raised 2,3,4,5k by 2db.

Now why do I prefer the ADI-2 amp vs. the A90? The differences are very small, ADI-2 has more air and space, and somehow sounds cleaner then the A90. The A90 has more bass, slam but sounds more closed in. If you want more slam with the ADI-2 you can boost up the bass or other frequencies. Its that simple.

The 3T XLR cable costs more then the RME (its worth every penny imho), with a good power cable and the A90 I could've bought 2 more RMEs. My mistake was not spending more time fiddling with the EQ, filters and other settings until I found the sound I enjoy.

So please, if you don't like something about the ADI-2, remember how many settings it has, and you can make it sound as you like with no extra cost. It really is an incredible DAC/AMP.

Aug 7, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #3,077 of 5,991
Finally, it is happening! Smack dab in the middle of my iFi vs RME 'smack down'. Well perhaps 'smack around' is more like it. In the middle of second round of comparison.

I have had the 4490 version of the RME for awhile now.. 9 months or so I believe. I have been using the iFi iDSD Pro exclusively for 6 weeks, minus a few days in the hospital for the ol' ticker.

Going through my test song list now with each DAC. RME first up in the critical listening round. I hope to have the review done within a week or two. I have read effusive praise about the RME, and how it is a giant slayer, you need to spend more than $5000 to get something better sounding. Or at least it should be that much or the difference isn't worth the trouble.

Only variable in the test will be the DAC's themselves. Supporting equipment is as follows...

HifiMan HE560 Planar 'phones
2014 iMac Mini with Roon
Synology NAS Drive 20TB
SBooster 15v LPS (used with each DAC)
Intona USB 2.0 Galvanic Isolator
Original iFi iUSB
Original iFi Gemini divided power/data cable
Custom 6v LPS for iUSB
iFi iPurifier 3
Icon Audio HP8 MKII
headphone amp
NOS Tubes exclusive to this test. Tubes were taken from sealed boxes
Pair of Sylvania (branded Zenith) 6F8G late 40's early 50's
One CSF (St. Egreve France tube factory) Black Plate 12AX7S made in '64. (crazy uber rare variant. Doubt I will ever see more than the two I own)

Test is producing some interesting observations and at least so far one 'aha'! Moment, (that is why X sometimes always sounds like Y)

After this DAC shootout is done, its time for some 'spring cleaning' in ALL my audio/visual spaces, so disregard somewhat the messy setup..

Here they are, RME running, iFi waiting not so patiently for her laps around the track..........

showdown time photo of rig.jpeg

amp and tube roll for iFi RME slamdown.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #3,078 of 5,991
Finally, it is happening! Smack dab in the middle of my iFi vs RME 'smack down'. Well perhaps 'smack around' is more like it. In the middle of second round of comparison.

I have had the 4490 version of the RME for awhile now.. 9 months or so I believe. I have been using the iFi iDSD Pro exclusively for 6 weeks, minus a few days in the hospital for the ol' ticker.

Going through my test song list now with each DAC. RME first up in the critical listening round. I hope to have the review done within a week or two. I have read effusive praise about the RME, and how it is a giant slayer, you need to spend more than $5000 to get something better sounding. Or at least it should be that much or the difference isn't worth the trouble.

Only variable in the test will be the DAC's themselves. Supporting equipment is as follows...

HifiMan HE560 Planar 'phones
2014 iMac Mini with Roon
Synology NAS Drive 20TB
SBooster 15v LPS (used with each DAC)
Intona USB 2.0 Galvanic Isolator
Original iFi iUSB
Original iFi Gemini divided power/data cable
Custom 6v LPS for iUSB
iFi iPurifier 3
Icon Audio HP8 MKII
headphone amp
NOS Tubes exclusive to this test. Tubes were taken from sealed boxes
Pair of Sylvania (branded Zenith) 6F8G late 40's early 50's
One CSF (St. Egreve France tube factory) Black Plate 12AX7S made in '64. (crazy uber rare variant. Doubt I will ever see more than the two I own)

Test is producing some interesting observations and at least so far one 'aha'! Moment, (that is why X sometimes always sounds like Y)

After this DAC shootout is done, its time for some 'spring cleaning' in ALL my audio/visual spaces, so disregard somewhat the messy setup..

Here they are, RME running, iFi waiting not so patiently for her laps around the track..........

How exciting! If I may ask, when you might have some impressions for us?

Edit: a week or so! Cool!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 8, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #3,079 of 5,991
For me, the combination of RME and ifi is the best ever!
I couldn't be happier at all. :)

IMG_0813.jpg

Aug 8, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #3,080 of 5,991
Yes, this is an absolutly great combination! I am very happy too!
30E701C6-27FE-420D-948C-4A6D72C7E170.jpeg

Aug 8, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #3,081 of 5,991
What about the ifi can single ended vs rme single ended ?

Aug 9, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #3,083 of 5,991
Curious about this dac/amp.What can i expect from it? I have fiio btr5,dragonfly cobalt and an nad c338 with headphone jack.The headphones/iems i use is beyerdynamic dt1770 pro,amiron home,fiio fh7 and fa7.I also have an modhouse t50rp mk3 on its way in late fall.Have read some reviews of this dac/amp.Is it really that good,and would i get an huge sound improvment with my headphones?

Aug 9, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #3,084 of 5,991
Curious about this dac/amp.What can i expect from it? I have fiio btr5,dragonfly cobalt and an nad c338 with headphone jack.The headphones/iems i use is beyerdynamic dt1770 pro,amiron home,fiio fh7 and fa7.I also have an modhouse t50rp mk3 on its way in late fall.Have read some reviews of this dac/amp.Is it really that good,and would i get an huge sound improvment with my headphones?

I expect it will not be optimal for your DT1770s and will not do a good job for the Argons at all. The DAC part is superb, the amp does not have enough voltage for 300 ohm Sennheisers and probably not 250 ohm Beyers, but I can't check because my DT1770s and RME are a few thousand km away from each other right now.

For the money I don't think the DAC can be beaten for great sound and useful features. But for a lot of headphones you're gonna need a good amp to get the most out of it.

Aug 9, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #3,085 of 5,991
I expect it will not be optimal for your DT1770s and will not do a good job for the Argons at all. The DAC part is superb, the amp does not have enough voltage for 300 ohm Sennheisers and probably not 250 ohm Beyers, but I can't check because my DT1770s and RME are a few thousand km away from each other right now.

For the money I don't think the DAC can be beaten for great sound and useful features. But for a lot of headphones you're gonna need a good amp to get the most out of it.

Ok.Tnx for reply :) But shouldnt it have more power than cobalt and btr5?

Aug 9, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #3,086 of 5,991
Ok.Tnx for reply :) But shouldnt it have more power than cobalt and btr5?

Yes it will but it won't help much. It is common that people use substandard amplification and are happy with how their headphones sound. That does not mean that they will continue to be happy with how they sound after they hear them out of an amp that drives them correctly and then go back to their original amps.

Aug 9, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #3,087 of 5,991

I don't expect - I know that the DAC drives the DT1770s perfectly. You might want to disclose what your doesn't have enough voltage statement is based on? AFAIK the DAC (and Pro) spit out higher voltages than most others. The manual says +22dBu or 10Vrms. In ASR they measured 310mW for a 300 Ohms load, while the highly praised Topping A 90 just reached 196 mW. These are facts. Anyone saying it doesn't have enough power for high impedance phones (which are super easy to drive, available voltage just defines max volume) has yet to proof that. I have 250 and 600 Ohm phones and they can be driven to ear destroying levels easily.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #3,088 of 5,991
I don't expect - I know that the DAC drives the DT1770s perfectly. You might want to disclose what your doesn't have enough voltage statement is based on? AFAIK the DAC (and Pro) spit out higher voltages than most others. The manual says +22dBu or 10Vrms. In ASR they measured 310mW for a 300 Ohms load, while the highly praised Topping A 90 just reached 196 mW. These are facts. Anyone saying it doesn't have enough power for high impedance phones (which are super easy to drive, available voltage just defines max volume) has yet to proof that. I have 250 and 600 Ohm phones and they can be driven to ear destroying levels easily.

It's based on hearing 300 ohm Sennheisers out of at least a dozen amps and figuring out why they sounded lifeless and thin out of some and superb out of others.

300 ohm Sennheisers seem to need to be run off an amp that can swing at least 15V. They don't sound good to me out of the RME. Yes, an underpowered amp can make them earsplittingly loud but it cannot make them sound good. This is commonly known but apparently not commonly enough.

I found the same thing with the DT1770s. I ran them out of an amp with plenty of power and they sounded thin and lifeless on the first gain position. When I cranked up the gain to the second position (of 4) they changed character significantly.

Aug 9, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #3,089 of 5,991
It's based on hearing 300 ohm Sennheisers out of at least a dozen amps and figuring out why they sounded lifeless and thin out of some and superb out of others.

300 ohm Sennheisers seem to need to be run off an amp that can swing at least 15V. They don't sound good to me out of the RME. Yes, an underpowered amp can make them earsplittingly loud but it cannot make them sound good. This is commonly known but apparently not commonly enough.

I found the same thing with the DT1770s. I ran them out of an amp with plenty of power and they sounded thin and lifeless on the first gain position. When I cranked up the gain to the second position (of 4) they changed character significantly.

Any suggestion for an amp that have the power to drive modhouse argon t50rp mk3 and the beyers?

Aug 9, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #3,090 of 5,991
I drive the 1990 with them and they sound great. I prefer them on high gain instead of auto ref. Because for my ear they benefit more from the higher voltage then better sinad. I use them between -30 and -20 db at and +10 is the max so you have alot of room

Users who are viewing this thread

Back