RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jul 25, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #3,046 of 6,038
On a slightly different subject.... could I ask for your help using the EQ?
If I have a headphone which has a peak at 6K of 3db... can I go in the EQ exactly to the 6K and decrease it accordingly?
Also, what does the Q actually do? Please see the below pic.... you see how the blue line drops in the 10k band?. I increased the Q to 2.5 and then this happened (the sharp drop) but surprisedly the vocals sound great after I did this. It sounds as if I accentuated the highs in the vocals... but the line is going down instead of up which would actually be an increase in the highs... Sorry, I guess I am confused.
How does the Q (quality factor) affects the sound?

IMG_0442.JPG
Q is how wide the peak/dip is going to be, while gain is how high/low is its level.

Jul 25, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #3,047 of 6,038
Jul 25, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #3,048 of 6,038
On a slightly different subject.... could I ask for your help using the EQ?
If I have a headphone which has a peak at 6K of 3db... can I go in the EQ exactly to the 6K and decrease it accordingly?
Also, what does the Q actually do? Please see the below pic.... you see how the blue line drops in the 10k band?. I increased the Q to 2.5 and then this happened (the sharp drop) but surprisedly the vocals sound great after I did this. It sounds as if I accentuated the highs in the vocals... but the line is going down instead of up which would actually be an increase in the highs... Sorry, I guess I am confused.
How does the Q (quality factor) affects the sound?

IMG_0442.JPG

It takes some effort to figure out the interface and controls but it is quite powerful. Check youtube, RME has some videos to get started.

Imagine pefect response curve is flat. You want to make your curve -3 dB at 6Khz. Sounds like HD 800 btw :)

Jul 26, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #3,050 of 6,038
What tube amps are you using with the RME?

I don't own it, but I spent a good 3-4hrs with a WA22 and the RME. I liked it.

I think, based on some of the things i've read about the WA2 vs WA22, that the WA2 might be a better fit.

Jul 28, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #3,051 of 6,038
I have a question for users of the RME ADI-2 DAC FS. I just ordered one and it is on the way to me. I also ordered a Headamp GS-X mini, assuming that the amp would make a significant improvement compared to the headphone outputs of the RME. Was that a mistake? Should I return the GS-X mini and just use the RME as a DAC/amp? You can see my headphones listed below. I most often use the Ether 2 and Meze Empyrean. I have cables and adapters allowing me to connect them balanced or unbalanced.

Jul 28, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #3,052 of 6,038
I have a question for users of the RME ADI-2 DAC FS. I just ordered one and it is on the way to me. I also ordered a Headamp GS-X mini, assuming that the amp would make a significant improvement compared to the headphone outputs of the RME. Was that a mistake? Should I return the GS-X mini and just use the RME as a DAC/amp? You can see my headphones listed below. I most often use the Ether 2 and Meze Empyrean. I have cables and adapters allowing me to connect them balanced or unbalanced.

If you have the money to spend the GS-X has fans and will probably not go unused. I don't know about the specific headphones you listed.

Jul 28, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #3,053 of 6,038
I have both amps. The RME makes for a very good dac when used with another amp. Weather you'll see much of improvement by adding the GS-X may depend on each headphone. In general, the hard to drive a headphone, the more benefit you will get with the GS-X. I say in general, because my IEM (IER-Z1R), which sounds very good on the RME amp, is GREAT on the GS-X. You wouldn't think an IEM would benefit from the extra power, and I am running unbalanced on both amps with the IEM.

My harder to drive ZMF Verite Closed (300ohm), is also pretty noticeable, but I expected that. The RME can drive 300ohm headphones pretty well, but not effortlessly.

In general with the GS-X the heaphones open up with more soundstage, high end sprakle, tighter/faster bass, with more bass. It's not a night and day difference with my headphones, but a nice improvement.

Jul 28, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #3,054 of 6,038
Does somebody know if the bass/treble function work as a shelf or peak ?

Jul 28, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #3,055 of 6,038
Does somebody know if the bass/treble function work as a shelf or peak ?

It should be in the manual or you can ask on the RME forums if somebody doesn't know the answer here.

Jul 28, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #3,056 of 6,038
Waiting for my RME adi 2 Dac. Meanwhile Build a „rack„ that fit my hpa 281 and RME

Attachments

• 6EE54C50-E5C0-44A2-B0B9-5695F85B3187.jpeg
    6EE54C50-E5C0-44A2-B0B9-5695F85B3187.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Jul 28, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #3,057 of 6,038
Nice and your window sill with the plant reminded me of mine :)

I think you will have a killer combo, I love my V280.

With the RME and a V280/281, you will hear all the 800 is capable of and even enjoy it!

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #3,058 of 6,038
I'm trialling a friends V281 with my RME ADI-2 this coming week. Can't wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back