RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jul 10, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #2,941 of 6,005
Hi-Power has slightly higher noise floor than Lo-Power by any chance? Wondering if there is any advantage in using Hi-Power even for less-demanding 80-ohm headphones...

You can put it on automatic. Means when you listen softly is low power and when you turn it up or the power is needed, it automatically switches to high power. I find a very good function. Yes RME thinks of everything! :relaxed:

Jul 10, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #2,942 of 6,005
So a few more days with the RME ADI 2 and now I like the sound better without EQ for my HD650. I guess the first time I didn't like it because I was not used with a clean and neutral sound, and loved distorsion, now I'm used to it and prefer it as is.

The only issue that I'm not quite happy with is that the midrange is a bit behind everything and a bit veiled compared with my other ESS chip DAC. I'm sure I can fix this with some EQ settings but I've no clue what to boost in the EQ for this to work.

I also tried using a Linear Power Supply to see if there is a difference, there is, but I think its worse from a technical point of view. It makes more noise but also the midrange a bit brighter and this is what I desire.

Overall I'm quite content with the ADI-2, the only thing I need to do right now is learn how the EQ works and push the midrange a bit forward and make it less 'silky' sounding.

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #2,943 of 6,005
The 1/8" IEM out of RME is way better than the usual 1/4" headphone out, if the same IEM is tested for both ports?
I've found there is a trade-off, especially if your IEM is moderate to hard to drive, for an IEM. The IEM post is super quiet, but puts out little power. This is great for super easy to drive IEMs.

But if your IEM needs moderate to high power, for an IEM, then the IEM port output may not drive the IEM with enough slam/dynamics. The 1/4 port is quiet and I end up using this port with my IER-Z1R on low-power. This provides a good blend of quiet (black background), with good dynamics.

Jul 10, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #2,944 of 6,005
So a few more days with the RME ADI 2 and now I like the sound better without EQ for my HD650. I guess the first time I didn't like it because I was not used with a clean and neutral sound, and loved distorsion, now I'm used to it and prefer it as is.

The only issue that I'm not quite happy with is that the midrange is a bit behind everything and a bit veiled compared with my other ESS chip DAC. I'm sure I can fix this with some EQ settings but I've no clue what to boost in the EQ for this to work.

I also tried using a Linear Power Supply to see if there is a difference, there is, but I think its worse from a technical point of view. It makes more noise but also the midrange a bit brighter and this is what I desire.

Overall I'm quite content with the ADI-2, the only thing I need to do right now is learn how the EQ works and push the midrange a bit forward and make it less 'silky' sounding.
I had the same feeling with the adi at first it sounded kind of strange. I played around with the eq after 2-3 weeks i disabled the eq and i was thinking wow whole another level and i never touched the eq again

But actualy for me the midrange is not behind everything. Do you have the bass and treble knobs on 0 db. And do you maybe forgot the loudness function on ? Because the loudness function boost the bass and treble

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #2,945 of 6,005
I had the same feeling with the adi at first it sounded kind of strange. I played around with the eq after 2-3 weeks i disabled the eq and i was thinking wow whole another level and i never touched the eq again

But actualy for me the midrange is not behind everything. Do you have the bass and treble knobs on 0 db. And do you maybe forgot the loudness function on ? Because the loudness function boost the bass and treble
I have had my RME for over a month now and I have pretty much kept it flat and without any kind of enhancements except for the initial setup. I wanted my brain to become adjusted to all of the glorious detail being fed to my standalone amp. You know what? This DAC sounds amazing in it's "plain jane" setup and it will serve as the baseline sound to compare to when my new amp arrives. After the new amp is at home in my system I will continue to listen to it flat until my brain has adjusted to the new amp. Then and only then I'll start playing around with the EQ and other enhancements.

Jul 10, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #2,946 of 6,005
I'm 6 months in: With all the useful features this is the end game DAC for me. I have no clue what even might be able to replace it. I'm using 5 different headphones all with their own EQ and ouput to 2 amps (hybrid and solid state) and the RME just delivers.
Before I get recommendations: I'm fine :)
Before someone says Chord: I'm fine, I'm not that fond of coloured marbles that indicate that my light blue volume is not the best match for a green-yellow-ish filter colour.

Jul 10, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #2,947 of 6,005
Yea it sounds that great you dont need to tweak anything. If your headphones are good

But what i really use is the loudness function at nights and the crossfeed sometimes for games

Jul 12, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #2,949 of 6,005
Jul 12, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #2,950 of 6,005
Jul 12, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #2,951 of 6,005
Jul 13, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #2,952 of 6,005
I wouldn't be so frugal here and would take a cable of better quality. Here analog signals are transmitted. This means that it is more sensitive to noise than pure digital cable. The amplifier gets an analog signal here and simply amplifies everything that comes through, including noise.

I took the cable from the picture. It costs almost 200 USD, but it is of excellent quality, with special shielding and silver/copper conductors.

Would only be a recommendation. It would be a pity to use such expensive equipment and then not to exploit the potential with such cheap cables.

Exzellenz_Neu_Audiokabel_XLR.png

Exzellenz_Neu_Audiokabel_XLR_back.png

IMG_0912.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #2,953 of 6,005
Hi guys! New headfier here. I have just bought an used rme adi2 dac here and have very little background knowledge with is device. I have heard that the headphone output is good at handling low impedence headphones. So I was wondering how well can this driving the akg k812. Does anyone have any experience with this two combo? Thanks ahead!

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #2,954 of 6,005
With the K812 the ADI should have absolutely no problems. It is a very effective headphone. 36 Ohm, 110Db sound pressure. With this the ADI has an easy job. That is easily enough. You don't need an additional amplifier.

Otherwise you can set the ADI to high power, but we recommend the automatic mode. If you listen quietly, it is on low power, if you turn it up, it automatically switches to high power.

But this combination should work very well!

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #2,955 of 6,005
Guys as far as cables go you can easily find good/cheap XLR cables at a pro audio shop. The fancy expensive cables will not be any better in terms of build quality or sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back